Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you motivate yourself? page

fuzzynavel is offline Member

How do you motivate yourself?

Shop Now
    Hi all,

I have been mostly Primal for just over a two years and have been progressing well... I have gone from 107kg (236lbs) down to 82kg (181lbs) and I am pretty happy with the results... (5`10" - male)..

Now I have been steady at 82kgs for upwards of 4 months now and when I go strict Primal, I can start the weight dropping again after a few days but I can never maintain the weight loss as I seem to sabotage myself on purpose.

They way I do this is by slipping myself some chocolate, or having a sandwich etc.....the usual stuff that tastes good and creates a whole new addiction cycle...I then have trouble stopping again...

I know what I need to do but I have no over-riding urge to avoid grains....I know they are bad for me as my Psoriasis starts to flare a little but not enough to annoy me...

What sources of information on the net do other use to motivate them....or rather where can I find good info on why grains are bad...I have read the Primal Blueprint, Wheat Belly, The Great Cholesterol Con and many other good books but I just can't find that one bit of information that makes me sit up and think.."Damn, I'm not touching that Sh*t again"

Thanks for any help on this. I have used the search button (for threads like this http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60173.html and searched the net to no avail.
    Last edited by fuzzynavel; 12-28-2012 at 04:44 PM.

Dragonfly is online now Senior Member
    I don't think of grains as food anymore, so it's pretty easy to ignore them now.

And I can't find a decent link, but here's an article worth reading, if you are motivated by fear:
    Comments: Correlation of Alzheimer's - Diabetes Exposed

dizzyorange is offline Senior Member
    Try watching this video called Sugar: The Bitter Truth on youtube.

As far as grains, pick a free evening and eat plain white bread until you puke. You'll be good to go for a month (at least).
    Last edited by dizzyorange; 12-28-2012 at 06:31 PM.

dirk41 is offline Senior Member
    I've never really had a sweet tooth, so giving up sweets was pretty easy for me. As for grains, I miss the convenience of going out and ordering pizza but I've discovered that just a single piece of bread will cause my skin to break out. But the biggest factor is I love the paleo-friendly foods - bacon and steak especially.

You gotta find a rationale that works for you. Also, you don't need scare yourself...feel free to have the occasional indulgence of a sandwich. Paleo isn't a religion.

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Grains are no longer food to me. That helps.

Also, I tend to think of the long term benefits (better health, lower weight, greater fitness) over the short term benefits (tastes good, sugar rush ect.) and that helps make me think twice quite a bit.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    I have been doing the paleo/primal diet for 5 years now. I have never eaten a piece of bread knowingly during that time. I am motivated because I hate the way I feel after I eat the bad stuff. That 5-10 minutes in which I consumed the meal is not worth the hours in pain I feel afterward. I guess it sticks more with me because I have some pretty bad allergies and IBS when I eat gluten/dairy. I never had a weight problem as I have been the same weight before and during paleo. I just like feeling great, having a lot of energy, thinking clearly, and never getting sick.

And when you say that a sandwich is "the usual stuff that tastes good" just doesn't appeal to me anymore as a food or as anything remotely yummy. In order for the sandwich or the pasta etc. to taste good it needs a lot of other stuff on it. Which is normallly the meat. So I stick to the meat and veggies and get rid of the fluff. I would take a medium cooked rib eye steak or applewood bacon and eggs over any type of sandwich or grainy food.

Just my 2 cents.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Before you eat your next addictive treat, strip naked and stand in front of a full length mirror.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

trekfan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Before you eat your next addictive treat, strip naked and stand in front of a full length mirror.
    That's a good one. I've done that a few times and it usually changes my mind for the better.

Also, old pictures. If you're like me and spent years looking horrible on SAD, than you'll have tons of pictures of a horrible looking you. Find them. Put them on one wall (preferably closest to the kitchen) and anytime you think of eating something horrible, look at those pictures.

Often times, I'll stop doing dumb shit then and straighten up.

I don't succeed always (today's been my first Primal day in four days thanks to the damned Holidays) but I know I can never, ever, go back for any long length of time to grains/bread/sugary crap otherwise all my success will go away.

I don't want to be what I was again. Never, ever, do I want to see my scale hit those numbers or my pants to feel like they're choking the life out of me. I fully admit I live in fear of becoming what I was and that fear keeps my impulses in check most days. Is if the best thing? Probably not.

But it works. Hope that helps.
    Went Primal July 25th, 2011.

Current Age: 25

Total Loss: 126 lbs

Starting Stats: Weighed 266 lbs, Body Fat 37.6% (100 lbs), BMI 40.9

Current Stats: Weight 140 lbs, Body Fat 15.2% (21.1 lbs), BMI 21.2

Current Goals: Get a stronger core through Pilates and continue being as Primal as I can be.

My Weight Loss Notes Now on a blog page. It starts with "My Weight Loss: Introduction." Available to the public, share with friends if you'd like!

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    It works. At a high weight it serves as a slap to reality, at a goal weight, you know to not screw it up.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

bamabelle is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzynavel View Post
    ...but I can never maintain the weight loss as I seem to sabotage myself on purpose.
    I believe that this is a key factor here. Can you pause before you "sabotage" yourself and ask yourself what is going on that you need to do that. Sounds like there may be a component of emotional eating involved. It is complex and I've spent a lot of time involved in trying to heal from emotional eating. So when you pause and try to get to the bottom of this, ask yourself if you are eating to avoid a feeling or situation, are you afraid of being at your goal weight, do you feel that you don't deserve to be happy, are you afraid of failure so you sabotage yourself...You get the idea.

Chances are, if you have been doing this for years, you already know the 'scary' things that happen if you eat improperly and that is not what you need to get over this hump. Good luck getting to the bottom of it!

Cheers,
    Amanda

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast