Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How do you motivate yourself? page 4

Enilegna/hearts is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    This motivation sucks, but I have come to relate the criticism of my family and friends over what I eat to purposely not having even the tiniest bit of grain if they offer to me, like I used to. Kind of like food resentment? But that's not so good.lol But this for some reason annoys them, and in return I feel the power.

But when I do have a small bite or something, I know I do it mostly out of impulse, don't know if that happens to you, but sometimes the image of the hand grabbing something I actually don't want to eat becomes a blurr. So when I feel pressured like that, or a craving or something I focus on my breathing until the impulse goes away. It kind of helps when my brother is literally shoving a donut in my face.

Ollie is offline Senior Member
    Ha, yes that should help. And don't forget to think ups ways to make the meals as enjoyable as you can while remaining healthy. I have a page on my computer dedicated to my own favourite meals that are fairly quick and easy to cook (even in bulk and freeze them) that are also tasty.

And ramp up the healthy fat intake to get enough calories.

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    I just remember how much better everything is now compared to before. It also helps that the slips never taste as good/are not as enjoyable as the memory says they once were.

But mostly - BECAUSE I'M WORTH DOING LIFE RIGHT.

raptoryell is offline Senior Member
    I've really fell off the wagon around June of 2012. My motivation is when I see my fat gut.......it must go away!!!! LOL
    Primal (2013)
    Locavore (locally grown foods when possible)
    Training consists of Muay Thai, BJJ, weight training, and mountain biking

Would like to be in good shape by my 36th Birthday (07-07-2013)

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    I read something the other day that said if you eat wheat, even just a little, it's another year or two to get it out of your system. It really is that serious. I don't have the link but if you want to constantly have digestive and emotional problems, keep eating grains.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    It's the opposite question, for me. What would motivate me to make myself sick and fat, covered in zits, farting, walking with a cane and too achy to move? What's worth dying for? Nothing.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Him
    Him is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzynavel View Post
    One of the major problems that I have had is that I am the one that does the cooking in the house...I have been out of work 9 months and it would be unfair to ask my wife to cook/clean etc after a day at work. I always end up cooking multiple meals....even something as simple as sausages with mashed potato and beans is a challenge....it is fine for them....but I have to make my own mashed sweet potato/swede/carrot and can't have the beans.......this is due to dropping all nightshades (potato, tomato, pepper, eggplant) as they affect my arthritis.
    Does it really need to be so distinct? My own experience with "primal" cooking is that it's just cooking. The food is just food, like the food I've been cooking for decades. It's all been stuff I would enjoy whether or not I care about "primal"... yeah, "primal" changes my perspective slightly...I'm actually cooking with the left over bacon fat instead of trying to figure out how to burn it as lamp fuel or the like for a few months and throwing it away. I am skipping the staple foods (bread and pasta mainly, in my case). There are differences, yes, but the core food just isn't that different.

Will your family really freak out at mashed yams/whatever, if you don't present them as "primal" but instead as "dinner"? I guess I'm really asking if they are responding to the food, or to how you've presented the food as part of a special diet?

My general view on depending on motivation goes like this: It's unstable. Rather than seeking motivation you should aim for a lifestyle that doesn't need it. Adopt the point of view that the "failure" behaviors are a burden/chore that would take motivation, not the other way around. For e.g. going "primal" has been my excuse to stop baking, stop cooking pasta, rice, beans and other "slow" foods that I've always cooked because they are inexpensive staples. It has been my excuse to simplify my cooking down to the easy stuff...fish, meat, vegetables, soups, and the like. Of course I haven't been doing this very long relatively speaking but as long as making a loaf of bread or a pot of beans seems like a PITA all I have to do to stay on the wagon is avoid motivation. That seems easier to me.

My other take is that motivation is an application of willpower, which means it's a finite resource. If you spend it maintaining your diet, you will have less to apply in other areas of your life. Conserve Your Willpower: It Runs Out | Wired Science | Wired.com

Congrats on the new job.

fuzzynavel is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Him View Post
    Does it really need to be so distinct? My own experience with "primal" cooking is that it's just cooking. The food is just food, like the food I've been cooking for decades. It's all been stuff I would enjoy whether or not I care about "primal"... yeah, "primal" changes my perspective slightly...I'm actually cooking with the left over bacon fat instead of trying to figure out how to burn it as lamp fuel or the like for a few months and throwing it away. I am skipping the staple foods (bread and pasta mainly, in my case). There are differences, yes, but the core food just isn't that different.

Will your family really freak out at mashed yams/whatever, if you don't present them as "primal" but instead as "dinner"? I guess I'm really asking if they are responding to the food, or to how you've presented the food as part of a special diet?

My general view on depending on motivation goes like this: It's unstable. Rather than seeking motivation you should aim for a lifestyle that doesn't need it. Adopt the point of view that the "failure" behaviors are a burden/chore that would take motivation, not the other way around. For e.g. going "primal" has been my excuse to stop baking, stop cooking pasta, rice, beans and other "slow" foods that I've always cooked because they are inexpensive staples. It has been my excuse to simplify my cooking down to the easy stuff...fish, meat, vegetables, soups, and the like. Of course I haven't been doing this very long relatively speaking but as long as making a loaf of bread or a pot of beans seems like a PITA all I have to do to stay on the wagon is avoid motivation. That seems easier to me.

My other take is that motivation is an application of willpower, which means it's a finite resource. If you spend it maintaining your diet, you will have less to apply in other areas of your life. Conserve Your Willpower: It Runs Out | Wired Science | Wired.com

Congrats on the new job.
    I understand what you are saying in regards to just cooking food in a primal way but so that they don't really notice....I would love to be able to do that but I am just not creative/skillful enough in the kitchen....my idea of a meal is a couple of slices of pork belly with a mash or a salad etc.....The way that I choose my meats is by showing them to my wife and if she says that it is too fatty and disgusting then it goes in the trolley..
    I tried pork shoulder the other day for the first time....so fatty but extremely tender...loved it....
    My wife got me some meat rubs for Christmas too so they have been getting put to good use..
    Just went on to Amazon.co.uk to order the Primal Sauces book but it says that they expect to ship within 1 to 3 weeks....guess they don't have stock at the moment.

MattyH is offline Junior Member
    I read a wonderful post about six months ago and motivation hasn't been a problem for me since. Let's see if I can summarize it without being too confusing. It was from a woman who lost 75 lbs "overnight" - what she did was change her image of herself "overnight." All her life she'd thought of herself as a "fat, unathletic slob" who "just couldn't lose the weight". One day she realized that while she looked fat and lazy on the outside, she could be ambitious, shrewd and a little ruthless - she was very successful at work. She had the sudden image of herself as an alley cat - looks like a fluffy kitty on the outside, but in reality a feral creature. She started saying "feral cats don't eat sugary stuff," and "feral cats don't eat bread," and the weight started to come off.

I did the same thing and lost 25 pounds - I started thinking of myself as the runner I used to be, covered up under a bulky sweat suit (smaller sweat suit now :-)) . A friend of mine says, "bread and sugar are other people's food, I'm not the kind of person who eats junk." And someone else commented to the original letter that he started to hold his motivation for reaching goals when he realized he was "a man his father would be proud of." I guess his father had died when he was young.

One note tho - I think the image you have of yourself has to be the right one. I think this goes back to what other people were saying - you need an image that makes cheating harder than staying the course. I did all those "thin motivation" exercises and could never see myself as a svelte, elegant beauty in a long evening gown. Sweaty tshirt and VFF's, now that's different... Now when I see ice cream I think "why would I ruin my muscle tone for that cr*p?"

Hope this made sense?
    Matty
    Last edited by MattyH; 01-09-2013 at 09:29 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234