Thread: LF: Back strengthening advise page

andreaincolombia is offline Junior Member

LF: Back strengthening advise

Shop Now
    Hi experts!

I am doing a very simple body weight/small weight/exercise band routine a couple of times a week but it leaves me with back pain after each session.

I pull my back out fairly frequently, but this is not the same. It's all-over pain that is dull and annoying. I realize that this probably has to do with weak stomach muscles and I've been trying to work more on that, but even stomach exercises hurt.

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend some exercises I can focus on to strengthen my back so I can continue on to my fitness goals.

Cheers,
    Andrea
    Started Primal June 29, 2012
    Down 30lbs since then!
    Current goal - lose another 10lbs.

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Do you walk? IMHO walking is the basis for building fitness and if you are not doing this drop the resistance stuff until you've built up strength by walking, and possibly swimming if you like, work up-to getting at least 3 hours a week. This will strenghten your whole body. Then I would try bodyweight movements, push-ups, pull-ups, squats, start at a level you are comfortable at, even if that means wall push-ups, 2 leg assisted pull-ups and squats holding on to something. Big movements like those work your core, including your back while keeping you balanced if you do them with good form.
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

sandstone is offline Member
    Have you tried any yoga training. Although I don't consider it as a replacement for resistance training it is an excellent way to redress any imbalances you may have. There are better ways to get stronger but yoga is very good at strengthening your weakest link- be that a structural or muscular imbalance, lack of symmetry or flexibility.

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    I have suffered lower back issues for years. Up until a few years ago, throwing my back out every couple months for a week or so wasn't unheard of. I finally herniated a disc and was 100% disabled and getting by with vicodin. Not how I wanted to live.

Chiropractors weren't working for me, and I had read that the #1 thing that acupuncture is used to treat is back pain. So I made an appointment. And I SWEAR by acupuncture now. I get a monthly session of acupuncture, a monthly therapeutic massage, yoga one time per week, and about 15 minutes of stretching/back strengthening exercises per day and that keeps my back in very good shape. I very rarely have back pain now.

One thing to be aware of is that tight hips, IT band, and hamstrings can all pull the back out of alignment. So my stretches incorporate back stretching, hip stretches like pigeon, and hamstring stretches.

My back strengthening moves include planks, bird-dogs, and supermans.

And of course don't forget that your entire core supports your back. If you have a weak core, you can't support your back. I'm not a proponent of doing ab work every day, but a little bit of work now and then is a good idea. And always tighten your core before you lift or bend over.

*Edit: I should mention I take absolutely no painkillers, including OTC now. My back pain is 100% resolved using this method.
    Last edited by EagleRiverDee; 12-28-2012 at 06:49 PM.

TerpsPwn_387 is offline Member
    In college I would only run or use the elliptical for an hour at a time (then wonder why my knees and back were always in so much pain). I eventually sprained my back one time and was in pain every time I moved for about a week.

Since I have made an increased emphasis on pull ups this problem has went away. I also do a lot of slow moving light weight dead lifts that seem to help my lower back.

Also, simply eating primal has seemed to help. Looking back, eating Chipotle with a Mountain Dew every day made my whole body ache.

andreaincolombia is offline Junior Member
    Thanks everyone. Lots of food for thought.

@Tribal Rob - I used to walk daily, but since the weather turned to pot in SW Ontario, I've not done much at all. Thanks for the reminder to get out and move slowly.
    @Sandstone- I've never done yoga before. I'm probably the least flexible person I know. My old personal trainer used to call over other trainers to watch me try to touch my toes. That's why she became my OLD personal trainer! That's why what EagleRiverDee said struck a cord. I have very tight hamstrings, so maybe yoga/stretching is the key here. I'll have to look up bird-dogs. I've never heard of them.
    @TerpsPwn - Pull ups are on my "bucket list". I'm trying to get my DH to build me a pull up bar right now but he keeps saying there's no way I'll be able to do even one. He's right of course, but a girl has to dream!

Thanks everyone. Off to get strengthening!
    Started Primal June 29, 2012
    Down 30lbs since then!
    Current goal - lose another 10lbs.

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    I find the dark the biggest downer for outdoors time in winter, but though it can get unpleasent in the UK, it's not going to get that extream, -10 degrees C is about the coldest we go and that's rare, extra pair of socks, warm jumper, gloves and hat weather as long as you keep moving Cold rain driving into your face in a 60 mph storm is far more unpleasant, that's time to stay indoors for me

Get that hubby of yours to buid that pull-up bar, start with 2 leg pull ups on a chair, that is a full body work-out.
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    andreaincolombia-

A "bird dog" is like this:

bird-dog.JPG

You are on all fours, then raise your right arm, and left leg, and hold each as high and straight out as you can. I hold for one minute, then switch and raise left arm, right leg. It really helps to stabilize my back, plus you get a little core, glute and balance bonus out of it.