Thread: Ketone Question page

aaronhsmith is offline Junior Member

Ketone Question

Primal Fuel
    I am wondering how long it should take for my body to start producing a high level of ketones. I eliminated carbs and sugars, and have significantly increased my fat intake (coconut oil, olive oil, fatty meat).

I bought Ketostix to test myself and am only registering "trace" amounts so far.

I have only been eating this way for 2 full days, this being my third, so I understand that it may take a bit longer. However, I'm just looking to see if anyone has any idea when I should see this level increase significantly.

Thanks.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Can take up to 72 hours to burn through your glycogen stores without any dietary carbs. Every one is a bit different. Once you are well adapted to using ketones you may actually not get much of a reading on the ketone sticks as you are actually utilizing the ketones for energy rather than urinating them away.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Can take up to 72 hours to burn through your glycogen stores without any dietary carbs. Every one is a bit different. Once you are well adapted to using ketones you may actually not get much of a reading on the ketone sticks as you are actually utilizing the ketones for energy rather than urinating them away.
    It also depends how much or how little protein he is eating, since protein can spur gluconeogenesis in sufficient quantities. Some people take a full week or longer to adapt to ketosis.

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    It also depends how much or how little protein he is eating, since protein can spur gluconeogenesis in sufficient quantities. Some people take a full week or longer to adapt to ketosis.
    +1 - and how much a difference varies among people. For Jimmy Moore it made a huge difference. I don't think you can quantify it by height/weight/BMI/etc. - you'll have to find your personal sweet spot. For me, I eat fat ad lib (and not much, since it is so satiating) during the day, and have one protein meal in the evening. That works.

Phinney and Volek recommend this: Aim for a protein intake between 0.6 to 1.0 grams per pound of lean body mass.

Phinney, Stephen; Jeff Volek (2012-06-15). The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance (p. 65). Beyond Obesity LLC. Kindle Edition.

I know my goal weight, and my intended fat % at that weight. The rest is LBM, so I tend to look for about .8g/lb LBM and it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    I am eating a hefty amount of protein also.

My typical diet day looks like this:

Breakfast - 3 eggs cooked in coconut oil with avocado.
    Lunch - Tuna with avocado, maybe a salad with olive oil dressing.
    Dinner - 4-6 oz Chicken or Beef with asparagus (or other green veg), cooked in coconut oil and/or butter.

I have about 172 lbs of lean body mass to account for.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronhsmith View Post

Dinner - 4-6 oz Chicken or Beef with asparagus (or other green veg), cooked in coconut oil and/or butter.

There are different sites but you can punch all that into something like this FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal
    to get your data.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronhsmith View Post

Why don't you just track properly with something like my fitness pal. I think you should know your macros and calorie amounts.

Turns out I needed to just be a little more patient. As someone above said, after about 3 days I was registering on the Ketostix. My fat levels range from between 60% and 80% each day, with less than 5% in carb (most of the time less than 3%).

Thanks for all the responses!

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    There are two types of fundamental ketone bodies produced by your body: aceto acetate and beta hydroxy butyrate, and both increase as your body transitions to using fat in lieu of glucose. However, beta hydroxy butyrate increases much faster, and forms the bulk of the ketone bodies you produce and utilize.

Ketostix, however, measure just one type of ketone body ... care to guess which? Yup, aceto acetate. To measure beta hydroxy butyrate levels you need to do a blood test. So, it is possible to be in a significant ketotic state but not actually show much on Ketostix. Whether being in ketosis buys you much of anything is a much more interesting question.

-PK
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

Timthetaco Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by pklopp View Post
    Ketostix, however, measure just one type of ketone body ... care to guess which? Yup, aceto acetate.
    That's interesting.