Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 52 New Things in 52 Weeks... page

BoldAsLove is offline Member

52 New Things in 52 Weeks...

Primal Fuel
    Hi all!

My goal for the new year is to try one new thing every week (for a total of 52). I'm trying to come up with a list ... although I may sub-in some new things as the year goes on. I'm looking for some input on PRIMAL items. I've just started thinking about it, but so far I have:

- Learn how to make spaghetti squash

- Complete a Tough Mudder in vibrams (would require training/running in them... I did a TM in September and my watter-logged sneakers were a total pain - and dangerous - by mile 10!).

- Hike the Shenandoah trail (and generally a goal to hike more)

Thanks guys! And if anyone would like to join me, you're welcome! :-)

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    This one is from one of Mark's recent posts: if you haven't already, go to some farmers' markets near you. I would add to start making friends with a local butcher.

Render your own lard or tallow.

I'm going to try to try 12 new restaurants this year. Good restaurants usually have their menus online, so its easy to see if they have options that are close to paleo/primal. Also, a lot of good restaurants have gluten free items.

I like your idea, and I'm making a list, though a bunch of mine are non-primal like sight seeing some things I've been procrastinating - though I guess this could be play, just not physical play.

Good luck!
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

JoanieL - I go to the local farmer's market often, but haven't found a local butcher! Thanks for that one.

And they definitely won't ALL be primal. I have a list of domestic places I want to visit and skydiving will be on there, for starters.

In case anyone is curious, below is the full list. I have a number of Primal items - many if you count encouraging play!

The List | 52 Things

... shameless plug, I know. But the only reason I want people reading it is to ensure that I stick with this plan! :-)

marthat is offline Senior Member
    I love your idea and it has been playing around in my brain for several days now, since you first posted. I've started a list as well. It's hard to come up with 52 new things in a row (especially at 50+ years - I've been around for a while and been lucky enough to do lots of stuff), but I"m sure the list will develop over the year.

My other big plan is to do a good act every day - anything from holding a door to giving a dollar to a collection box to complimenting someone unexpectedly to bigger things like giving of my time to volunteering. I want to do a better job this year of recording the good acts, for my own accountability. I tried it once before and lasted about 5 weeks without missing a day. It really makes you focus and seek out opportunities to give. And it seems to attract all kinds of positive "energy/karma" in return. Which we can all use, I figure...

Edit: Just read your list. I toured a small craft-beer brewery yesterday, beer tasting, educational session, tour of the centuries old building filled with shiny new steel pots and urns - Fascinating and a new experience for me. We were picking out beers for our son's wedding this summer. Hope you enjoy it as much.
    Last edited by marthat; 12-31-2012 at 05:41 AM.

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    Sounds awesome! And ambitious!

Changed your mind about skydiving?

Primal Moose is offline Senior Member
    Not exactly the same thing, but check out 13skills.com

The idea is to tackle 13 new (or new variations of skills; ie you already camp, but now you wanna tackle snow camping) skills (or as many more than 13 as you want) in 2013. Like I said, not s many as 52, but a little more mild.

trekfan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoldAsLove View Post
    In case anyone is curious, below is the full list. I have a number of Primal items - many if you count encouraging play!

The List | 52 Things

... shameless plug, I know. But the only reason I want people reading it is to ensure that I stick with this plan! :-)
    That's quite a list ... hiking the Shenandoah Trail is awesome from what my friends have told me. I've been meaning myself to hike that and tour the DC Monuments (despite living not too far from either, I fail to find the time to do them and have for nearly a year and a half, lol).

Good luck, maybe I'll see you there on the trail
    Went Primal July 25th, 2011.

Current Age: 25

Total Loss: 126 lbs

Starting Stats: Weighed 266 lbs, Body Fat 37.6% (100 lbs), BMI 40.9

Current Stats: Weight 140 lbs, Body Fat 15.2% (21.1 lbs), BMI 21.2

Current Goals: Get a stronger core through Pilates and continue being as Primal as I can be.

My Weight Loss Notes Now on a blog page. It starts with "My Weight Loss: Introduction." Available to the public, share with friends if you'd like!

jmday is offline Senior Member
    California Native living in land locked Kansas
    I love this post. I'm going to mull some things over too.
    Julia
    Starting Weight 235 - Dec 1, 2010
    Started Primal Mid January 2011
    Current Weight 183
    Goal 160

Get Outside Already!

http://moderndayfitandfood.wordpress.com/
    http://moderndaydesigns.wordpress.com/

Thanks everyone for the thoughtful responses! I am VERY excited for the new year! I just posted about Week One - ring in the new year in NYC! Forewarning, it is probably 2-3x longer than the average post will be and staying up until 5am while drinking cocktails isn't exactly primal!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast