Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it bad to eat fat foods cold? page 2

carterusok is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    yeah,Maybe she thought that the cold fat down your gullet would be like pouring fat down the kitchen sink

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Homemade Bigos is amazing, I'm so jealous! My family on both sides is Polish, and I lived in Poland for a few months, but the bigos in the restaurants there is nothing like homemade stuff, it was very disappointing.

As for the eating it cold issue, the only thing I've ever heard was from my TCM naturopath/accupuncturist, who said that according to chinese medecine, eating any food cold wasn't considered good for digestion (she likened it to throwing something cold in a pot of boiling water; the water stops boiling for a minute and has to 'work harder' to get back up to temp...so the view is that eating anything raw or cold was a strain on digestion).

I don't know if that's true, you can be the judge!

peril is offline Senior Member
    Have you never eaten cheese or chocolate?
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    Homemade Bigos is amazing, I'm so jealous! My family on both sides is Polish, and I lived in Poland for a few months, but the bigos in the restaurants there is nothing like homemade stuff, it was very disappointing.
    Obraz 070.jpg

Cabbage, saurcrout, onion, and my mum uses sausage and three kinds of cured ham. An omega 6 bomb, but 100% amazing

As for the eating it cold issue, the only thing I've ever heard was from my TCM naturopath/accupuncturist, who said that according to chinese medecine, eating any food cold wasn't considered good for digestion (she likened it to throwing something cold in a pot of boiling water; the water stops boiling for a minute and has to 'work harder' to get back up to temp...so the view is that eating anything raw or cold was a strain on digestion).
    I studied a bit of Aurevedic medicine in India when I was doing my Yoga teacher training, and this thread reminded me that that's what they think too. They regard the digestive system as a fire, and think cold, or uncooked foods are like throwing a wet cloth on it, so should be very moderate. I actually love cold food and eat it all the time so it might be interesting to see what happens if I start to eat more hot stuff.

Amazing you're also Polish! It's such a beautiful country. Where did you live?

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Have you never eaten cheese or chocolate?
    Lol I know what you mean, but they seem different. Sugar raises body temp, even if you ate it out of the freezer. And how cold can cheese be? Personally I like it best at room temp - the flavour really intensifies.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AshleyL View Post
    Yea, you can catch a cold as result of cold. Cold stresses the body, stress reduces immunity.
    It can suppress the immune system, yes, but, unless you're exposed to a cold virus you haven't had (there are 200 variants and it's believed you can only get most versions once), it doesn't GUARANTEE it. You have to have enough of the cold break through your immune system to begin with, and for that you need to be exposed to someone who has a version of the cold you've not had before.

I also find that, the more accustomed my body gets to the cold, the less colds I get -- I found this even pre-primal, I get ill a maximum of twice a year at the moment and I haven't been left "out" by illness for two and a half years, as my body fights the symptoms better, so I can just carry on. Basically: cold exposure seems to tell my body "You're going to be cold more often, so, from now, cold is the new normal. Get used to it." And my immune system seems to have got used to it.
    Last edited by Kochin; 12-29-2012 at 02:53 PM.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I lived in a 'suburb' in the outskirts of Krakow and commuted into the city center for my language classes for a couple of months...I lived with a host family for most of my time in Krakow; I went to the country to become fluent in Polish after many frustrating years of trying to learn on my own with guidance from my babcia.

I only managed survival-level Polish, enough to take some long bus rides out to the countryside where there was zero English, ask for directions and order food in butcher shops and restaurants, and then argue with the bus company when they tried to tell me in Polish that there were no returning buses...most of the Poles are incredibly friendly and helpful but the people working in the bus and train stations are completely different, so it's pretty helpful to have some rudimentary arguing skills in Polish if planning to take a bus or train there.

I then spent a few weeks traveling around other various parts of Poland like Wraclaw, Poznan, Gdansk, etc... It's a really beautiful country that's thriving and really underestimated. I don't think most people realize what a hidden gem it is.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12