Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: fiber- a myth? page 4

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Eating primally, I still eat quite a bit of leafy greens, vegetables, and about 1 piece of fruit a day. It's less fiber than what I used to get - pre-primal I often made bean soups, chili, brown rice, lentils, etc. And despite the drop in fiber, I find I'm just as regular as I always was. And I have a LOT less bloating and gas.

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    I still think fiber is somewhat necessary. Though I do think that CW has totally blown the need for fiber out of proportion. 30 - 40 grams a day? Hello toilet, goodbye social life.

I probably get maybe ten grams a day now.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Try some probiotics.
    Also, should be able to get all the fibre you need in fruits and vegies if eating enough.
    Last edited by Sue; 12-28-2012 at 07:13 PM.

Sefton is offline Member
    This thread moved me to sit in for a few words.

I was obsessed with fiber and tended to wring my hands if circumstances had me off my daily uber-fiber cereal that I often would add a bowl or two through the day among other fiber enhancers. So when I cut the carbs drastically down, eliminated the daily cereal, I got off kilter and it was at times difficult. Then when I went whole hog paleo (4 weeks now?) it was even more difficult until I stumbled upon the daily apple and got turned on to spiking up the oils, even in the coffee and other adjustments....and after a week-10 days, I think things are going smoothly. Check out the Bristol chart.

And BTW that squatty potty I discovered here and ordered is the real deal. Frankly, for most my adult life I worked a field forester in Alaska and it never dawned on me why things transgressed so quickly out in the woods versus the toilet.

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sefton View Post
    And BTW that squatty potty I discovered here and ordered is the real deal. Frankly, for most my adult life I worked a field forester in Alaska and it never dawned on me why things transgressed so quickly out in the woods versus the toilet.
    I, too, live in Alaska and always figured things moved more quickly because they HAD to, to keep from our most tender parts being eaten up by mosquitoes! Haha. But yeah, squatting works.

Paleobird Guest
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned this book and website. This guys work has been endorsed by Mark. I think it makes some good points as well.

Gut Sense: How to reverse and prevent constipation in children and adults

My digestive system has been thanking me for backing off on the large volumes of fibrous veggies I used to eat.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned this book and website. This guys work has been endorsed by Mark. I think it makes some good points as well.

My digestive system has been thanking me for backing off on the large volumes of fibrous veggies I used to eat.
    Seconding this. Great website.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post

Seconding this. Great website.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

abstract is offline Junior Member
    You guys are all missing the fact that most people don't eliminate in the right position. We're designed to squat. When you sit upright, you clamp off your colon. Look at this: The Squatty Potty Toilet Stool I made my own and it works great. Squatting is the answer.

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    It is. Uhm, I forgot to add that I use a splash or two of balsamic vinegar when the fancy strikes me or if the pulp is a bit on the dry side. A bit of skin is Okay as well, but too much plugs up my magic bullet. My guests usually love it with sweet potato chips as well as a dip.
    Awesome - thanks! I have an eggplant that's waiting to be used. I'll make this tomorrow!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast