Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: fiber- a myth? page 3

aimlow is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Improving your metabolism also improves digestion. Do you feel cold all the time? How about your hands and feet?

As for your question, adding in more insoluble fiber in my experience makes things worse. I have the best elimination on a low residue diet, eating only things that are highly digestible like fruit, dairy, red meat, eggs, white rice. Keeping beans, nuts, veggies and other stuff toa minimum.
    i DO feel cold a lot.... I exercise regularly- any other tips on improving metabolism? I seem to be in the same boat w/ the fiber- eating more seems to clog things up! At least when it comes to fiber supplements, grains etc....

aimlow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    *Supplementing* fiber is a myth. Eating whole, natural foods should provide you with enough.

Especially while adjusting to this diet, some people have digestive issues. There are a plethora of this could be for anyone and for you. Too much/too little, fat, protein, carbs, sugar, whatever. Or maybe you have a bug. Or maybe you gut flora is too much/too little (overgrowth, or wasted by antibiotics). Introduce anything new? Eating more dairy? There is probably a correlation with what you eat. Do you eat the same thing every day?
    I don't eat dairy, and I don't always eat the same things. Lately, when I eat meat, I get bad indigestion and then all digestion seems to shut down. When I eat grains, it seems to be pretty bad too. There must be a correlation with what I eat, I just don't know what it is!

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aimlow View Post
    i DO feel cold a lot.... I exercise regularly- any other tips on improving metabolism? I seem to be in the same boat w/ the fiber- eating more seems to clog things up! At least when it comes to fiber supplements, grains etc....
    Fruit, sugar, coconut oil, carrot salad, liberally salting food, calcium. keep exercise stress to a minimum(make sure you have sufficient downtime between hard exercises)

i would suggest staying away from cruciferous greens, they're probably the main source of your digestive issues. i like how danny roddy puts it:

What happens to vegetables when you leave them out on the counter for too long? They go south fast.

Take the same food, add in darkness, moisture, and heat and... Well, you get the idea.
    and don't supplement fiber, jesus
    Last edited by Derpamix; 12-28-2012 at 01:42 PM.
    nihil

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I'm not sure if you meant me when you said people are 'against' fiber... I don't ever get stopped up when I'm eating almost entirely fatty meats and high quality dairy. Too much fiber can cause things to be uncomfortable, even from coconut or other primal-friendly sources.
    didn't mean you, specifically. funny thing though, a fatty meat + dairy diet did not work for me to keep things regular. maybe because it was carb defficient by design though (i'm lactose intolerant). i need carbs, fruits & veg to shit on the regular.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I have a history of IBS which is probably way more intense than the issue you're likely dealing with right now. I wrote pretty extensively about what I did to heal myself (which included a low insoluble fiber diet among other things) on this thread:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread62278.html
    Last edited by BestBetter; 12-29-2012 at 07:36 AM.

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    What happens to vegetables when you leave them out on the counter for too long? They go south fast.

Take the same food, add in darkness, moisture, and heat and... Well, you get the idea.
    I don't understand this. Is he talking about digestion?

Quote Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
    I don't understand this. Is he talking about digestion?
    Essentially. It stresses the digestive tract and increases serotonin.
    nihil

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Fiber sucks.

If you're having trouble pooping, try a little magnesium. I take 400mg in the morning and 400mg at night to keep migraines away. The added benefit is a nice poop about 10 minutes after I wake up every morning, no effort at all.

I've had digestive troubles before that landed me in the ER (after passing out on the bathroom floor in a puddle of sweat - fun times!) and I haven't had any problems at all since avoiding more than minimal fiber.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Essentially. It stresses the digestive tract and increases serotonin.
    Um, yeah, it's digestion.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    nihil

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast