Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: fiber- a myth? page 2

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Ooh. This sounds quite tasty!
    It is. Uhm, I forgot to add that I use a splash or two of balsamic vinegar when the fancy strikes me or if the pulp is a bit on the dry side. A bit of skin is Okay as well, but too much plugs up my magic bullet. My guests usually love it with sweet potato chips as well as a dip.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aimlow View Post
    um, no, I don't aim to compromise health, just hoping to ease daily discomfort and gross bloat
    I find too much fiber in my diet increases "daily discomfort and gross bloat" rather than easing them. How much fiber are you currently eating?

statikcat is offline Senior Member
    If you are eating natural, healthy foods we are designed to eat.. shouldn't they contain the fiber you need? I never give fiber much thought really.

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    Fiber is a myth.

I think, according to what I've read in a couple books, there was a doctor who worked in Africa for a while, noticed that they didn't have much colon cancer, and decided that fiber in their diet was the reason. We've had fiber pushed on us ever since, and now people think massive BM are healthy.

For me, fiber causes massive constipation issues. So do prunes and everything else that is supposed to cure constipation.

Thinks move along nicely as long as I eat enough fat. A fatty breakfast of eggs and bacon sandwiched between coffee spiked with a good spoonful of butter and a touch of stevia and I'm cleaned out.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    *Supplementing* fiber is a myth. Eating whole, natural foods should provide you with enough.

Especially while adjusting to this diet, some people have digestive issues. There are a plethora of this could be for anyone and for you. Too much/too little, fat, protein, carbs, sugar, whatever. Or maybe you have a bug. Or maybe you gut flora is too much/too little (overgrowth, or wasted by antibiotics). Introduce anything new? Eating more dairy? There is probably a correlation with what you eat. Do you eat the same thing every day?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    When I had this issue (coming off a long period of abusing laxatives), fiber seemed to make things worse and added pain. Berries and prunes helped the most. Go easy on the prunes, though as you may end up with the exact opposite problem.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

sqidmark is offline Member
    After going primal, both my wife and I developed severe constipation issues. We were both (eventually) relieved after taking magnesium citrate twice per day. It takes time though.

Checkout the following site:
    Gut Sense: How to reverse and prevent constipation in children and adults
    What Is So Menacing About Fiber?

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by statikcat View Post
    If you are eating natural, healthy foods we are designed to eat.. shouldn't they contain the fiber you need? I never give fiber much thought really.
    agreed, i'm confused by the fiber hate on this thread... if we're eating vegetables, fruits, roots, and tubers, we're getting plenty of fiber. i don't think about it at all, but i'm surprised how many people are 'against' it here...

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    agreed, i'm confused by the fiber hate on this thread... if we're eating vegetables, fruits, roots, and tubers, we're getting plenty of fiber. i don't think about it at all, but i'm surprised how many people are 'against' it here...
    I'm not sure if you meant me when you said people are 'against' fiber. I just find that too much of it has detrimental rather than beneficial effects in the departments where fiber is supposed to be so wonderful and helpful. I don't ever get stopped up when I'm eating almost entirely fatty meats and high quality dairy. Too much fiber can cause things to be uncomfortable, even from coconut or other primal-friendly sources.

aimlow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Aimlow, my Perfect Digestion recipe is to lightly grease the outsides of medium sized eggplants with a grease of your choice (I use cocnut oil), pierce it in many places with a knife, wrap in foil with a head of garlic, and bake for an hour at 350 degrees. Than scoop the pulp out and blend with the garlic, salt and whatever spices you like (I use a bit of cumin and cayenne).

A half cup of the resulted eggplant caviar (or baba ganush) makes things very, very smooth. Do not overdo though, as it is very potent!
    Ate this tonight! Fingers crossed

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast