Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Primal New Year's Resolutions? page 6

katemary is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by trekfan View Post
    Thanks katmary for the ideas. Yeah, I really freeze up in conversations with strangers ... I can't help but feel they're analyzing everything I say (but I know they're not, I'm just overthinking things) so I end up nodding my head and thinking of things to say, but being too late in the conversation to say the, lol.

I really was thinking of doing some Frisbee league type stuff ... they had one of those in college and they had a lot of people there, but I was far too out of shape to participate (and really embarrassed to run). I live around some good wine cellars too, so maybe do some wine tasting stuff (but that's a bit expensive and I'm tight on money) ... the options are there. I just need to find the ones that work for me.

Thanks for the suggestions so far folks.
    That is understandable, but you know what - it is much more important, in small talk scenarios/initially get-to-know-you stuff, that you are interested, not interesting.

People love to talk about themselves, instead of trying to work out how you can contribute, listen to what they are saying and ask more questions. They will love it and walk away feeling that you really engaged, even if you didn't contribute anything of substance.

The worst thing to do is get so caught up trying to work ou something witty or interesting that you are not listening to what they say, it is usually obvious that you are not listening.

I get it re frisbee etc. Maybe you need to find people who are similarly struggling with weight to walk and exercise with, support each other. If only the gyms weren't so full of fit, beautiful people parading around intimidating those of us trying to get there!

Quickfeet101 is offline Junior Member
    Others have already beat me to this, but: I met my boyfriend (and a bunch of other fun, nice guys) in a judo class. I used to joke around that judo is the best kept secret: I got to roll on the floor with a bunch of hunks weekly! Rrraowr! I really was there to learn the judo, though. I wish I could say I planned it all along.

Sounds like you have some fun options, Trekfan. I hope you enjoy it.

Quickfeet101 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    I am learning to like fish too! Start with Tilapia, it's tasty with butter and spices!
    Rusty, my supportive boyfriend brought over some salmon and made it for me. He really loves fish and is excited for my new goal. He topped it with a bunch of fresh herbs and olive oil and baked it. We both agreed it will be even better next time with butter. I did enjoy it, though. It was good.

I can't wait to try the tilapia, Rusty. Butter makes anything sound great to me. I can't wait to try it!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Avoid the corner store like the plague. It's expensive and stupid for me to purchase almost anything there. And with the money I save...

Eat at 12 top notch restaurants this year. Priorities will be restaurants that advertise local sourcing and are creative.

Meditate daily.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Some really great ones here, folks. Here's mine:

My top New Year's Resolution is to be more social. I am a major, major, social coward. Years of being the fat guy pretty much restricted me to one role (that of comic relief) and that role did not let me build up many social skills. I want to get out, get with other people, and have fun. I hardly hang out with anyone from my age group. I'm great with people 30+ or 16 and younger ... adults and kids basically.

But as a 24 year old, I have no connection with my generation at all. This year, I'm making a major push to get more socially active. I'm not sure how to approach it, frankly it scares the crap out of me thinking about it all, but I got to do it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated -- seriously, I need the help.
    I second the meetup.com suggestion. It's a brilliant way to meet new people, and has the added advantages of 1) you already have stuff in common with them, 2) they are probably looking for new friends too.

It's also worth really thinking about what you're interested in. You can find groups for just about everything.

Also, if you're not totally adverse to it, there is a great self help book called "Feel the Fear and do it anyway". It's all about learning to recognise the negative chatter in your head, and separate yourself from it. It also makes you realise that everyone has these thoughts, and that some people have learned to overcome them. I read it when I was 23 (I used to have massive social anxiety) and it helped me a lot.

Your post was really moving btw. Thanks for your openness. And well done on the weight loss!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

primaltreehgr is offline Senior Member
    #1 add three NEW primal recipes a month to my repertoire.
    #2 No booze on a school night! (I teach kindergarten)

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    I spent the day attuning and feeling good vibes. There's still a few left.... No, actually, I have a cold and read about that fiscal cliff thing. So it looks like I have my work cut out for me. Must keep walking.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    -Fix my water problems.
    -Try dairy-free again sometime.
    -Do pull-ups.

I start over again at Imbolc (festival of renewal) anyways, so a month and a bit is enough to try and fix those three.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    But as a 24 year old, I have no connection with my generation at all. This year, I'm making a major push to get more socially active. I'm not sure how to approach it, frankly it scares the crap out of me thinking about it all, but I got to do it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated -- seriously, I need the help.
    I just watched a movie on Hulu called "Craigslist Joe". If you are able to watch that movie it might give you some interesting ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by katemary View Post
    People love to talk about themselves, instead of trying to work out how you can contribute, listen to what they are saying and ask more questions. They will love it and walk away feeling that you really engaged, even if you didn't contribute anything of substance.
    This is so totally true. Once I tried this it was like so easy to get people to like you and think you are the most interesting person they've ever met. It's so funny how to be the most interesting person someone has met all you have to do is get them to talk about themselves and not even let them know hardly anything about your yourself!

Meetup groups are also pretty good. I do a lot of Sierra Club hikes. They are free and open to the public. Our group meets in a central location and gives rides to the trailhead so if you don't know how to get there or don't have a car it's not a problem. I can choose to talk to people or hike in between people for some time alone.

Anyway, I'm not really that good at New Year's Resolutions. The way I normally operate is eventually I just decide I really want to do something and so I do it. Right now I'm really wanting to get more Omega 3 in my diet so I'm working on that. I'm also interested in trying to get in all these parts of the PB program. I tend to leave one or more of them out to focus on others. Right now I want to see if I can do all of them:
    - Lots of slow movement
    - Lift heavy once in a while
    - Sprint once in a while
    - Get lots of sunshine
    - Get lots of sleep
    - Have quality face-to-face interactions with people
    - Eat primal (that's my O-3 focus for now)

The other thing I'm really wanting to do but haven't figure out how to do it is I want to change my hair. It's really long and straight. It's got horrible static cling this time of year. It falls out a lot, especially this time of year. But I'm afraid to cut it and don't know how I should cut it. I don't have much of a neck. My neck is short and fat. I'm old and wrinkly. My hair is thin, fine and frizzy. When my hair is short it gets hat/helmet hair something horrible and I wear hats and helmets every day. So I really do not know what to do with my hair and I'm afraid I will regret anything I do.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Enilegna/hearts is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I had one but I misplaced it... so far so good right? lol

But I remember a few things I had written:

-Create a balance with exercise and priorities. I used to exercise everyday, cardio and strenght, and put it first priority. I have been doing nothing due to a recent surgery and the change is actually pretty refreshing. Plus I have gotten the time to do more artwork which is always important (Art major over here)
    -To balance the rest days I bought a pedometer! So I'll try the 10,000 - 20,000 steps starting tomorrow.
    -TRY to limit high omega 6 sources (which is actually the hardest I think, since all we eat around here is chicken and piggies, not grassfed).
    -Extend my portfolio (If I actually want to go to a graduate school and do something with my life)
    -Practice eye contact when having a conversation more and smile at strangers
    -Learn to do a proper blowout for my hair, 21 years old and my mom still do it for me, not good lol

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast