Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Primal New Year's Resolutions? page 5

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Primal Fuel
    I don't have a specific resolution. I'm going to continue to focus on improving my mental and physical health. Just making some general goals like that worked really well for me this past year. If I make a specific goal, I tend to get overwhelmed when I don't reach it and don't do very well.

I would like to increase to a 20lb kettlebell (from 15)!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Kata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    This year my resolution is to start sending cards through snail mail again for my friends' birthdays instead of resorting to lame posts on facebooks, which really take zero effort and don't actually mean anything.
    I love this idea!!!

I resolve to get more sun. Right now I'm probably a few shades lighter than the sand at the beach and I probably glow in the dark.

I also resolve to do P90X, the whole thing, no excuses.

Pamsc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trekfan View Post
    I actually did attend a Civil War reenactment in September. It was pretty cool, great food, but it was filled with a lot of parents and kids. It may be an aberration, since it was near the end of the reenactment season, but it was disappointing on that front.

Thanks katmary for the ideas. Yeah, I really freeze up in conversations with strangers ... I can't help but feel they're analyzing everything I say (but I know they're not, I'm just overthinking things) so I end up nodding my head and thinking of things to say, but being too late in the conversation to say the, lol.

I really was thinking of doing some Frisbee league type stuff ... they had one of those in college and they had a lot of people there, but I was far too out of shape to participate (and really embarrassed to run). I live around some good wine cellars too, so maybe do some wine tasting stuff (but that's a bit expensive and I'm tight on money) ... the options are there. I just need to find the ones that work for me.

Thanks for the suggestions so far folks.
    My daughter joined the knitting club at her college. It is a lovely activity for people who are fairly shy because it isn't embarrassing not to join in the conversation, you can be lost in your work. And they teach newbies--she says about half the new members have never knitted before. They had one male join whose goal was to learn to do all the different textile arts.

It depends on how large your community is. Her university is so large it even has a flintknapping club (learn to make stone tools). How about pottery? That might be fairly easy to find.

Pam

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trekfan View Post
    This year, I'm making a major push to get more socially active. I'm not sure how to approach it, frankly it scares the crap out of me thinking about it all, but I got to do it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated -- seriously, I need the help.
    I think that once you are able to make 1 or 2 friends, the rest will follow. It's the first ones that are always the hardest. I just moved to a new city where I didn't know a single person (except for my husband, but being in a couple can actually be a handicap when it comes to pushing yourself to meet people and be social).

What I did was to join some meetup groups in my area that seemed like they had the potential for meeting some people my age. Once I met a few friends, I was then able to meet more people through them.

If your area has meetups, maybe you could try out some that are focused on things you like. For example, where I am, there's an outdoors meetup that usually goes hiking and does fun outdoorsy stuff. If you're with a group of people engaging in an activity you all enjoy, it's much less awkward. Also, the benefit of a group like this is that everybody there is looking to meet people and make some friends, and you won't have to feel like the only awkward one - in this type of setting just saying 'hello' and asking some questions about the other person, like what do they love to do, where are they from originally or where have they travelled to go a long way toward getting people to start talking and feeling more comfortable.

If your area doesn't have any meetup groups, then maybe you could try volunteering somewhere that has the potential to also attract other people your age. I'm actually planning to start volunteering at the local animal shelter because I really love animals but mainly to hopefully meet some other people who either work there or are also volunteering. It's really all about putting yourself in a situation where you'll have an 'excuse' to interact with people.

It's been my experience that people REALLY like to talk about themselves, so whenever I'm meeting someone new, I usually have a stock of questions to ask them about themselves if there's an awkward lull in the conversation. Works like a charm!
    Last edited by BestBetter; 12-31-2012 at 11:00 AM.

trekfan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pamsc View Post
    My daughter joined the knitting club at her college. It is a lovely activity for people who are fairly shy because it isn't embarrassing not to join in the conversation, you can be lost in your work. And they teach newbies--she says about half the new members have never knitted before. They had one male join whose goal was to learn to do all the different textile arts.

It depends on how large your community is. Her university is so large it even has a flintknapping club (learn to make stone tools). How about pottery? That might be fairly easy to find.

Pam
    The town I live in isn't very big, but there are a few college towns nearby (about an hour away therebouts) that probably have some groups like that I could join up in. Knitting would be a useful skill to have actually ... I actually did a pottery class in like, eighth grade, and had fun with that (but it was annoying because my brother was there and we were constantly arguing, lol).
    Went Primal July 25th, 2011.

Current Age: 25

Total Loss: 126 lbs

Starting Stats: Weighed 266 lbs, Body Fat 37.6% (100 lbs), BMI 40.9

Current Stats: Weight 140 lbs, Body Fat 15.2% (21.1 lbs), BMI 21.2

Current Goals: Get a stronger core through Pilates and continue being as Primal as I can be.

My Weight Loss Notes Now on a blog page. It starts with "My Weight Loss: Introduction." Available to the public, share with friends if you'd like!

WeldingHank is online now Senior Member
    Some things I have been thinking of, I am going to pursue 100% in 2013.

-lose another 25lbs of just fat (i don't care if it shows on a scale)
    -take level 3 Krav maga test
    -begin using 70lb (2 pood!) Kettlebell. (52.5 currently)
    -be comfortable enough to go without my shirt when swimming.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Trekfan, Civil War re-enactment does seem to attract more families than Renaissance re-enactment; our town recently had a Steam Punk themed fair and it drew in a lot of 20 yr olds.

You mentioned wine tasting... I took a wine tasting class that was offered through the local college (I think some wineries offer them too) and it was a lot of fun, great people and I learned whole bunch.

As far as knitting goes most yarn shops offer classes. My husband took one a few years ago (he also took a spinning class) and he had a blast. He was the only guy in the class and he said if he were single it would be a great way to meet women.

aix_sponsa is offline Senior Member
    I resolve to crochet more.

froggie is offline Member
    I have come up with 4 big projects this year. Not quite resolutions, just focus areas so I don't get distracted with non-important stuff.
    1- start a garden and harvest my own veggies this year
    2- start lifting weights for real (no machines, just me and the barbell!) and hopefully accomplish my very first pullup
    3- organize the second fundraising 5k in my town for an incredible charity, Achon Uganda Children's Fund, hopefully raising $25K this year so they can buy an ambulance (a 4x4 in that part of the world)
    4- figure out preschool for my son (Sept 2013), which means starting applying in February... This is madness by the way, the US system is goofy. Only low income family can get spots in public schools' preK programs in our area. Where does that leave us, both hard working full time parents? Expensively private. Sigh.

All of this within two important priorities: quality time with family and friends; and I hope SPEND LESS IN 2013. So i can afford preK

Trekfan, when I moved to the US from France I was about 22. It wasn't until I joined the local triathlon club a few years later that I met lots of great people (my age, and older) and I also made all my current friends from theremand the subsequent network of acquaintances.
    I was not even a triathlete yet... i just had an ambition

Good luck and happy new year!!

Adopted the Primal lifestyle on: August 9 2012.
    My sporadic journal entries are here.

Results to date: I've lost (gained?) one belt hole!

trekfan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Trekfan, Civil War re-enactment does seem to attract more families than Renaissance re-enactment; our town recently had a Steam Punk themed fair and it drew in a lot of 20 yr olds.

You mentioned wine tasting... I took a wine tasting class that was offered through the local college (I think some wineries offer them too) and it was a lot of fun, great people and I learned whole bunch.

As far as knitting goes most yarn shops offer classes. My husband took one a few years ago (he also took a spinning class) and he had a blast. He was the only guy in the class and he said if he were single it would be a great way to meet women.
    Well, now I have to defiantly look into knitting

Quote Originally Posted by froggie View Post

Trekfan, when I moved to the US from France I was about 22. It wasn't until I joined the local triathlon club a few years later that I met lots of great people (my age, and older) and I also made all my current friends from theremand the subsequent network of acquaintances.

I was not even a triathlete yet... i just had an ambition

Good luck and happy new year!!
    Hmm, a triathlon club? I was thinking of doing a rec league type of thing ... basketball or something like that. I really like the idea of tying into some exercise thing to socializing, I feel it would make things easier for me. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Went Primal July 25th, 2011.

Current Age: 25

Total Loss: 126 lbs

Starting Stats: Weighed 266 lbs, Body Fat 37.6% (100 lbs), BMI 40.9

Current Stats: Weight 140 lbs, Body Fat 15.2% (21.1 lbs), BMI 21.2

Current Goals: Get a stronger core through Pilates and continue being as Primal as I can be.

My Weight Loss Notes Now on a blog page. It starts with "My Weight Loss: Introduction." Available to the public, share with friends if you'd like!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast