Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal New Year's Resolutions? page 4

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    My resolution is to not buy a car. Mine was written off just before Christmas, so now I am committed to learning to get myself around by other means. So far, so good. I have ridden the bus, walked and today I made my first bike ride in a very long time. It was actually kind of fun and I even got to stop and literally smell the roses in my neighbour's garden.

Best wishes to everyone with health and fitness resolutions. In these past 12 months - and especially the last six since learning how to eat primally - I achieved far more than I even hoped, and I feel fantastic as a result. Weight and mood swings under control, bloating and insomnia gone, blood pressure literally better than ever. You can do it too, and it is definitely worth it.

I love the snail mail resolution too.

katemary is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trekfan View Post
    Some really great ones here, folks. Here's mine:

My top New Year's Resolution is to be more social. I am a major, major, social coward. Years of being the fat guy pretty much restricted me to one role (that of comic relief) and that role did not let me build up many social skills. I want to get out, get with other people, and have fun. I hardly hang out with anyone from my age group. I'm great with people 30+ or 16 and younger ... adults and kids basically.

But as a 24 year old, I have no connection with my generation at all. This year, I'm making a major push to get more socially active. I'm not sure how to approach it, frankly it scares the crap out of me thinking about it all, but I got to do it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated -- seriously, I need the help.
    Hey trekfan, I don't really pretend to know what your age group in a different country *do*, the social norms, or how you all interact these days, but my suggestion is to find something you really really LOVE and join a group or class - the common interest is a great starting point, whether it is fishing, a book club, film school, dancing etc. The plus side of the challenge of interacting with strangers is to pursue a passion.

I guess joining forums are a good way of finding like minded souls and I guess where your age group hang out but online interactions are different and don't do much to improve the small talk.

My job always forces me to interact with strangers with odd dynamics, and I find it helpful to spend a few minutes of thinking about conversation starters. Topical issues are fine but can be hot topics, so I tend to think of safe topics such as TV, movies and books. Must be easier for guys and the sports chat...

What is it with weight gain and assuming the joker role? I have only gained weight in last decade and its true. It is also very true that it is socially isolating - you don't have anything to wear, don't want to catch up with people until you lose some pounds etc etc. Good on you for tackling it head on this year.

katemary is offline Senior Member
    My list:

single biggest objective - lose the second me; I am officially double the weight I should be. This sucks, too many years of hating myself for being obese.

So, adherence to primal.

20% only applies to non food rules, only slip ups for social graces I cannot avoid or IF

time on computer at home and TV must be matched by exercise - I am going to diarise it, and I want to check it calibrates over each week

Incorporate sprints, weight training and bod weight exercises, not just think about it

Go to bed much earlier and get more sleep

Find something else I love and pursue it. Life is flying away fast.

Fall in love ... hmmm, maybe work on me this year!

Anyway, I am sure I have wanted all this every year and have posted similar things each New Years, right back to 2009 when I had a different profile. This year, my friends, I will get there.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    New year's resolution are for lazy procrastinators imo, however my life's resolution is to be able to take a fucking nap
    well then

lambchop is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    New year's resolution are for lazy procrastinators imo, however my life's resolution is to be able to take a fucking nap
    oh, so cool Gadsie...not

Cos life is so hard for a spoilt little tween. Way trying too hard...

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lambchop View Post
    oh, so cool Gadsie...not

Cos life is so hard for a spoilt little tween. Way trying too hard...
    Yeah

But for anyone else, i didn't mean to offend anybody. I think new year's resolutions are not a good way of getting things done
    well then

maybe work on not being so obnoxious instead of thinking your life is so damn hard you need a fucking nap. Please!

Quarry is offline Senior Member
    ^^^

Indeed. Weight of the world huh?

My resolution is to run a half marathon and to teach my children how to apologize properly. Two very different goals. I am trying to teach the kids important life skills, very specifically, in increments. This year - apologizing, recognising they are wrong, saying so, saying sorry properly and fixing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    and to teach my children how to apologize properly. Two very different goals. I am trying to teach the kids important life skills, very specifically, in increments. This year - apologizing, recognising they are wrong, saying so, saying sorry properly and fixing it.
    What a great goal for the year. Nice way to raise decent humans!

trekfan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Trekfan are you at all interested in historical re-enactment? A couple of years ago my son and I used to hang out with some friends that did Renaissance Fairs and there were lots of 20 something yr olds as well as older folks. It was fun just hanging out in the camps, it attracts a lot of interesting eclectic people. Plus the food can be pretty primal; there always seems to be some one selling turkey legs to gnaw on.
    I actually did attend a Civil War reenactment in September. It was pretty cool, great food, but it was filled with a lot of parents and kids. It may be an aberration, since it was near the end of the reenactment season, but it was disappointing on that front.

Quote Originally Posted by katemary View Post
    Hey trekfan, I don't really pretend to know what your age group in a different country *do*, the social norms, or how you all interact these days, but my suggestion is to find something you really really LOVE and join a group or class - the common interest is a great starting point, whether it is fishing, a book club, film school, dancing etc. The plus side of the challenge of interacting with strangers is to pursue a passion.

I guess joining forums are a good way of finding like minded souls and I guess where your age group hang out but online interactions are different and don't do much to improve the small talk.

My job always forces me to interact with strangers with odd dynamics, and I find it helpful to spend a few minutes of thinking about conversation starters. Topical issues are fine but can be hot topics, so I tend to think of safe topics such as TV, movies and books. Must be easier for guys and the sports chat...

What is it with weight gain and assuming the joker role? I have only gained weight in last decade and its true. It is also very true that it is socially isolating - you don't have anything to wear, don't want to catch up with people until you lose some pounds etc etc. Good on you for tackling it head on this year.
    Thanks katmary for the ideas. Yeah, I really freeze up in conversations with strangers ... I can't help but feel they're analyzing everything I say (but I know they're not, I'm just overthinking things) so I end up nodding my head and thinking of things to say, but being too late in the conversation to say the, lol.

I really was thinking of doing some Frisbee league type stuff ... they had one of those in college and they had a lot of people there, but I was far too out of shape to participate (and really embarrassed to run). I live around some good wine cellars too, so maybe do some wine tasting stuff (but that's a bit expensive and I'm tight on money) ... the options are there. I just need to find the ones that work for me.

Thanks for the suggestions so far folks.
    Went Primal July 25th, 2011.

Current Age: 25

Total Loss: 126 lbs

Starting Stats: Weighed 266 lbs, Body Fat 37.6% (100 lbs), BMI 40.9

Current Stats: Weight 140 lbs, Body Fat 15.2% (21.1 lbs), BMI 21.2

Current Goals: Get a stronger core through Pilates and continue being as Primal as I can be.

My Weight Loss Notes Now on a blog page. It starts with "My Weight Loss: Introduction." Available to the public, share with friends if you'd like!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast