Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Matt Stones "Eat for Heat" page 4

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    But... hasn't it been pretty clearly proven via blue zones that one of the main secrets to health and longevity is actually living at a caloric deficit (fasting or IF for autophagy to occur can replace this chronic low cal state)and mostly avoiding sugars, exactly the opposite of keeping the metabolism revved up and "hot" all day.

The only real thing ever in dispute is how much meat/fat should be consumed, and that varied with the blue zone being referenced, such as Okinawa where there are conflicting reports about the amount of fatty pork and the use of goats milk. And while people debate that one place into the ground... there are other places with men and women who live nearly as long and healthy on hearty portions of mutton and cheese. Okinawa and LomaLinda-vegheadland aren't the only 'blue zones'.

And what is this business about wanting a digestive system without 'nasty bacteria'... those bacteria are not nasty! They are critical to your survival as a human being. Jeeeeeezus. None of us are alone in this endeavor of life. It happens to be a group project. Appreciate the little critters.
    Last edited by cori93437; 12-31-2012 at 11:48 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    But... hasn't it been pretty clearly proven via blue zones that one of the main secrets to health and longevity is actually living at a caloric deficit (fasting or IF for autophagy to occur can replace this chronic low cal state)and mostly avoiding sugars, exactly the opposite of keeping the metabolism revved up and "hot" all day.
    If you ready post right before yours, I agree with this statement you've made but in a roundabout way. I think that reving up your metabolism might have some good effects, but it would also increase the growth of things like cancer, bad bacteria, and yeasts as well.

This is why I think that things like fasting are so effective. They kill off the bad stuff that might be doing a lot of harm to your body. For me, I'll keep my fasting over the risk of letting the bad stuff go to town on my body.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    hello, sir. or madam. i couldn't help but notice the title you have on your reply, so i decided to stop by and ask how old you were
    Quote Originally Posted by katemary View Post
    Damn admin removing the evidence!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    Yea but we all know it was there....I wonder if it was a sock-puppet.
    Dangit, my internet was out for a couple of days and I missed all the fun! If it was bad enough to get 86ed by admin over a holiday, musta been a doozy.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Yep, when you, me, Drumroll, and Otzi all agree, I would generally watch out for flying pigs but this gimmick is just too ridiculous.

Having a high body temp and a high pulse rate at rest serves no function. It's like sitting there at a stoplight going VROOM, VROOM on the gas pedal. You're not going anywhere any faster. Just putting lots of wear and tear on the engine.

But if Danny Roddy tells balding men it will make their hair grow back, they will buy just about any nonsense.
    Actually, Ray Peat, who has been researching nutrition, biology, hormones & health since 1968, says a pulse under 75 correlates with being less intelligent and less healthy.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    Actually, Ray Peat, who has been spouting unscientific nonsense about nutrition, biology, hormones & health since 1968, says a pulse under 75 correlates with being less intelligent and less healthy.
    FTFY.

Actually, Ray Peat, who has been researching nutrition, biology, hormones & health since 1968, says a pulse under 75 correlates with being less intelligent and less healthy.
    Hmmm... I know a few PhDs and even an MD who would debate that one if you know what I mean...

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Would LOVE to see the statistical epidemiological juggling act you would have to pull off to prove this.....

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Would LOVE to see the statistical epidemiological juggling act you would have to pull off to prove this.....
    There might actually be some sort of a correlation to overall IQ (doubtful but even if there is), but having worked with people who have severe developmental disabilities, I've learned that a low IQ does not preclude the ability to learn or developing intelligence later in life. I know more than a handful of individuals with Down Syndrome who are extremely low of IQ, but savants in their own right.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    There might actually be some sort of a correlation to overall IQ (doubtful but even if there is), but having worked with people who have severe developmental disabilities, I've learned that a low IQ does not preclude the ability to learn or developing intelligence later in life. I know more than a handful of individuals with Down Syndrome who are extremely low of IQ, but savants in their own right.
    Absolute truth. High IQ is basically a fast and efficient processing ability. It doesn't equate to total intelligence. It can be a good INDICATOR (especially when grouped in tens, rather than units), but never spot-on. For true intelligence, you need processing ability, but also high levels of creativity (or a low-latent-inhibition, if you want to search the scientific analysis), emotional stability, motivation and low levels of procastination/ability to get distracted.
    Someone with an IQ of 140 may be unimaginative, unstable and an incorrigible procastinator, making their overall intelligence (and their impact on the world) lower than that of someone with an IQ of 110 who's more creative and motivated.

Sadly we don't yet have a test to measure overall intelligence, so we use IQ (processing power) and assorted tests to try and work out who's best suited to something (a job, a school, a test...).

And this isn't me justifying a low IQ, btw. Mine is 126-132 (lowest and highest scores) and I know there are people out there with IQs of 100 who are better at maths, less likely to procastinate...etc, which could make some of them have a much higher overall intelligence!
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kochin View Post
    And this isn't me justifying a low IQ, btw. Mine is 126-132 ...
    Be careful not to exercise too much, you may lower your heart rate and your IQ will go down...that's why all the high school jocks were dumb...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast