Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of oil should I use for the majority of my cooking? page

linuxguy0481 is offline Member

What kind of oil should I use for the majority of my cooking?

Primal Fuel
    Right now in my pantry I have extra virgin olive oil and extra virgin coconut oil. My wife does not like to use coconut oil for two reasons. First one it's hard to get out of the jar because it's not in liquid form and she feels it makes the food too greasy. I have heard you should not cook with olive oil because it becomes too unstable and breaks down at high temperatures.

My wife and I do a 50/50 split on the cooking. It's hard sometimes because I'm all for Primal/Paleo but she is more conventional and always tells me "you could just eat grains and everything else in moderation".

So I'm looking for an oil I can cook the majority of my food with. Also can I use butter in the majority of my cooking as well?

Just looking for some good advice. Thank you.

aussielady954 is offline Junior Member
    I would use ghee for cooking; I read on Sarah Wilson's site (Sarah Wilson - this blog makes life better, sweeter.) that macadamia oil is also fine for cooking. Other sites say sesame oil, just use one that you like the flavour of too. Butter is also okay, but ghee is my top pick. If you are doing quick cooking/sauteeing at a lower temperature, then a little olive oil would be ok. Others may suggest duck/goose fat for baking veggies in oven. Not sure about coconut oil just yet, opinions vary - even though taste can be quite nice; if your ancestors lived in the tropics, then maybe yes.......Would still stick with ghee most of the time. It's easy to make your own ghee at home too; I love the smell and flavour of ghee and it's not too costly.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Coconut oil can do everything. You can use it on your skin, your hair, grease your pans, sautee things, season your cast iron, deep fry (if it's refined), oil pull for your dental health, substitute it for WD-40, put it in coffee or tea, eat it off a spoon, and gauge whether the temperature is above or below 76F. I buy it by the gallon.

Althaur is offline Senior Member
    When home, I use only coconut oil, butter or bacon grease. I'll use lard when I can find a decent source. Maybe try using a smaller amount of the coconut oil, a little goes a long way.

Although, I do love using it to fry chicken thighs with some garlic, salt and pepper. Nice crispy skin. Nom nom nom.

katemary is offline Senior Member
    Well, I guess just telling you to convince her to use coconut oil isn't going to work. The factors you mentioned turn me off using it sometimes and also, the taste of the coconut oil (if you are not using over processed stuff) is just wrong with some meats and veg.

I have heard of the general rule of using olive oil in the oven, not on the stove top, to avoid using EVO at too high temps, and I try adhere to that. But maybe you need to actually look at the temperature at which it breaks down (I think it is in the book) and compare it to the temperatures she probably uses for the recipes she cooks. Maybe most of the times she isn't cooking at high enough temps for it to matter and you don't want to alienate her from your lifestyle.

I agree with above, bacon fat and other saved grease are tasty and awesome.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Lard or beef dripping. Tastes superb, fries really well and has a high smoke point. And if you have a good butcher, he may well give you pork or beef fat free which you can render down into lard yourself.

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    Lard or ghee-they seem to have the highest smoke point with a very mild flavor so they can work for just about everything. I have recently started using duck and goose fat and really like the flavor they add.
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Tallow is the best by far. The cheapest, too. Make it yourself for almost free.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Lizawill is offline Junior Member
    I think olive oil is good for a healthy and tasty cooking of food.

Althaur is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Liza, olive oil is not good for cooking unless it is at a VERY low temperature. High heat damages it, making it unhealthy to consume. It's best used right out of the bottle without any heat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast