Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What kind of oil should I use for the majority of my cooking? page 2

aussielady954 is offline Junior Member

Doing better on raw vegan/plant diet, ie the 'Rawsome Diet'.

Shop Now
    I have not been here for a while, as the animal proteins and fats affected me badly - liver, pancreas and bowels I think, ie cystisis/bladder infections twice within two months, gums bleeding and swollen gums on lower teeth, hair became dryer, painful scalp, more fatigue, sluggish elimination and constipation, more moody/grumpy, more headaches/migraine.
    For now folks on this wonderful site, am having a go at raw vegan after obtaining a second book by the well known Dr Norman W. Walker, 'Vegetarian Guide to Diet and Salads'. One of his other books, 'Colon Health' was also excellent. I also have some books from Tonya (Raw Food Diet - Health and Natural Beauty). for now, I start the day with juice of one lemon around 6am, a fresh raw veggie juice about 7am, another fresh veg juice about 11:00am with some soaked nuts such as almonds, brazils, hazelnut, walnut, pecan. I may add fresh coconut soon. Around 3pm, I eat fresh fruit, then make a green smoothie - fruit blended with green leafy veg such as baby spinach or kale / sea vegetables ie wakame or arame, a smaller veggie juice (more celery and cucumber, with maybe a little apple and carrot) around 5:30pm. If I am away from home, I just take fruits/veg/salad - today I am out and have some fresh live sprouted mung bean sprouts with me in my lunch salad. I have more energy now, can focus well in the mornings especially, elimination is improving, sleep is getting better and deeper, mood is better, headaches are less, bleeding gums have stopped, my hair on scalp is getting fuller and softer, facial skin is softer, the night sweats have mostly disappeared (were getting worse with each year for several years; these sweats started when I was in my twenties so is not just due to menopause or hormonal issues). I get enough fat by eating olives, avocados, soaked nuts, and naturally occuring fats in fruit/veggies/sea veg. I don't need extra cholesterol as my body makes all that it needs already. I don't miss dairy or ghee at all - my liver and pancreas are happy to I am sure, and love it that I don't need to cook or wash up greasy pans or buy/cut up meats etc (well, this is how I feel now - I'm sure you will wish me the best as I move forward) saving on energy/utility bills. I am patient and continue to research on nutrition by reading, and know that as the months go by, my other issues and weight will normalise and improve. I hope to continue to still check in from time to time with this site as learning from others and Mark is good too. Best regards.

SeaHorse is offline Senior Member
    Moderation may be, just maybe, works for some people (we are all different), but if you had problems with your weight or health, then its not for you.

Re coconut oil: I leave it in the sun for a while or in winter put besides a pot of hot soup, soon it becomes liquid and I pour it into an easy accessible box and use from there.

yaddle is offline Junior Member
    With my coconut oil... I put it in a warm place until it turns to liquid then I pour it into ice cube trays, wait until turns back to solid and pop the little coconut cubes out and store back in original tub. Loads easier to use rather than trying to scoop some out when one solid lump
    Highest weight - 109kg (12th Nov 2012)

ost some calorie counting before finding MDA

SW - 104.6kg (4th Feb 2013)
    CW - 101.8kg (4th Mar 2013)

Goal - 57kg (@160cm tall)

Wheat/Grain/Sugar free since 4th Feb 2013.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Here are two lists of smoke points for various oils. Depending on the type of cooking you do, there should be one that you can use as an all around oil. What makes it a little tough when switching to primal is that a lot of us used to just keep a bottle of some veggie oil around, and veggie oils have high smoke points so we could use just the one for everything. Anyway, keep plugging away. This was one thing I found very difficult, so now between the bacon grease, butter, coconut oil, avocado oil, and rendering beef tallow, I've got something that will work. I haven't found a good source of lard yet, but that will be added to my collection. Also, virgin olive oil has a smoke point of 420 degF which is pretty in line with a lot of non-primal veggie oils, and extra virgin has a smoke point of 406 degF.

Cooking Oil Smoke Points
    Smoke point - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Terry H is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aussielady954 View Post
    I have not been here for a while, as the animal proteins and fats affected me badly - liver, pancreas and bowels I think, ie cystisis/bladder infections twice within two months, gums bleeding and swollen gums on lower teeth, hair became dryer, painful scalp, more fatigue, sluggish elimination and constipation, more moody/grumpy, more headaches/migraine.
    For now folks on this wonderful site, am having a go at raw vegan after obtaining a second book by the well known Dr Norman W. Walker, 'Vegetarian Guide to Diet and Salads'. One of his other books, 'Colon Health' was also excellent. I also have some books from Tonya (Raw Food Diet - Health and Natural Beauty). for now, I start the day with juice of one lemon around 6am, a fresh raw veggie juice about 7am, another fresh veg juice about 11:00am with some soaked nuts such as almonds, brazils, hazelnut, walnut, pecan. I may add fresh coconut soon. Around 3pm, I eat fresh fruit, then make a green smoothie - fruit blended with green leafy veg such as baby spinach or kale / sea vegetables ie wakame or arame, a smaller veggie juice (more celery and cucumber, with maybe a little apple and carrot) around 5:30pm. If I am away from home, I just take fruits/veg/salad - today I am out and have some fresh live sprouted mung bean sprouts with me in my lunch salad. I have more energy now, can focus well in the mornings especially, elimination is improving, sleep is getting better and deeper, mood is better, headaches are less, bleeding gums have stopped, my hair on scalp is getting fuller and softer, facial skin is softer, the night sweats have mostly disappeared (were getting worse with each year for several years; these sweats started when I was in my twenties so is not just due to menopause or hormonal issues). I get enough fat by eating olives, avocados, soaked nuts, and naturally occuring fats in fruit/veggies/sea veg. I don't need extra cholesterol as my body makes all that it needs already. I don't miss dairy or ghee at all - my liver and pancreas are happy to I am sure, and love it that I don't need to cook or wash up greasy pans or buy/cut up meats etc (well, this is how I feel now - I'm sure you will wish me the best as I move forward) saving on energy/utility bills. I am patient and continue to research on nutrition by reading, and know that as the months go by, my other issues and weight will normalise and improve. I hope to continue to still check in from time to time with this site as learning from others and Mark is good too. Best regards.
    Was this a paid advertisement?

Aussie16 is offline Member
    PrimalCon New York
    My husband HATES coconut oil, I on the other hand use it for EVERYTHING from cooking/baking to hair care and skin care. I couldn't live without it! So for cooking I use mainly ghee or butter and sometimes olive oil but on low heat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12