Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want to help my son...(kinda long) page

Kris C is offline Senior Member

Want to help my son...(kinda long)

It's been quite a while since I've posted here. I did lose my way (you may understand in a minute) but I am back with renewed commitment. And I also have a huge problem. Background:

My 7 year old son lately has been feeling nauseous when he hasn't eaten in a while. I recognize that it may be due to low blood sugar. Sometimes it happens when he's eaten some crappy kids' cereal (insulin spike, anyone?). My 10 year old son gets terrible headaches on a becoming-frequent basis. He also eats more SAD. My daughter, 12, of course has the pimples but also some bumps on her skin the backs of her arms and occasional rough skin texture. My husband does not in any way agree with Primal/Paleo type of eating and so won't encourage the kids to eat this way. He also believes fully in medications to help things (pimples, flu, colds, headaches, etc).

I do try to talk to the kids about how better eating can help alleviate symptoms, and they listen, but nothing changes. I understand it's hard to change eating habits especially when one person buys all the things I am speaking against (Cheez-Its, Frosted Flakes, frozen pizza, etc) and it's easy to make and take. I do provide the healthier foods (salad, meats, fish, compromised on 2% milk and low-fat yogurt for them, among other things) because I eat Primal/Paleo (returning to full-time again).

What else can I do to convince the husband that our kids' issues, particularly headaches and nausea, need a nutrition cure, not modern medicine or excuses/ignore it?
    Starting weight: 168 lbs
    Current weight: 168 lbs
    Goal weight: whatever makes me look strong and healthy!

Current goal: No More Muffin Top!!
    a real pushup, a real pull-up, weekly sprints

Visit my journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread76206.htmlKris' Place for Primal Rantings...because everyone else thinks she's nuts

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    tell him that his way is so obviously working exceptionally well?
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    tell him that his way is so obviously working exceptionally well?
    Exactly. I told my DH that we'd tried everything else so what else did we have to lose. (We did GAPS and transitioned to Paleo.) I said he could eat whatever he wanted outside the house but that our daughter's and my health was worth giving it a shot. I also said I needed his help and couldn't do it without him. The results spoke for themselves.

He wasn't happy at first but, oh well. ;-)

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    make sure you have lots of primal snacks. Cold cooked meat after school, boiled eggs in lunches, pineapple and cheese in lunches, cook thinly sliced pork belly, drain and salt. if you let it cool, then put in an airtight container - OMG best snack ever invented !!!!!!!
    If this is the way you want to be - you will find some solutions that work for you and the family.
    Good Luck
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    My mum is quite sick with a degenerative thyroid disease. I found out that there was a link to gluten, and since then I've been gradually whittling her to give up bread. It's taken seven months, but as of last week she's off it

So I understand your predicament. You don't want to shove it down their throat, or put them on the defensive. The problem is that people don't want to change. What I had to do was keep repeating to her that I didn't want her to change (ie. give up the meds), and that this was only about taking out one foodstuff, and more about adding things in (like coconut curries, which she loves ) I also kept repeating the information that her illness and gluten were connected - she couldn't deny that.

Anyway, I think it's a delicate mix of encouragement and implementing things yourself with a positive attitude. I know I annoyed people (and probably still do) when I kept repeating how shocked I was that I didn't need moisturiser anymore, that my hair no longer fell out etc. but I can see that, subconsciously, it's taken it's toll. Friends of mine are definitely eating more fat and are checking labels on ingredients more.

Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions. The Little Guy is a bit of a picky eater, but some of it is Primal-friendly. I will keep encouraging more of those foods (cheese, yogurt, the very occasional green salad). More full fat, good quality dairy. I will try to get him to eat homemade chicken nuggets and fish sticks (made with almond flour and herbs and spices). I just can't take him feeling so sick when I know nutrition will fix this.

The other kids just need more talking and understanding. Since I buy most of the food and make dinners they get more Primal foods. But then the husband goes and buys the snacks and cereals and my way goes out the window. At least the older boy loves bacon and eggs for breakfast many mornings. I'll concede lunches at school.

Visit my journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread76206.htmlKris' Place for Primal Rantings...because everyone else thinks she's nuts

Rusty is offline Senior Member
    It's a process. You shop for meals and healthy snacks, he shops for the crap, sounds reasonable. If you are doing the cooking, cook Paleo/Primal. You aren't Burger King and they can't have it their way. Outside the house, the older kids/hubby make their own choices.

That's how it is at my house, since no one will volunteer to cook, I choose the menu.

My hubby only agrees with me because he likes veggies and meat, although I get a bit of guff about white potatoes and the lunch debate (sandwiches are easier to eat on the road).

I feel your pain, my son went to town on pasta and got a huge belly ache for his trouble, proved my point toot-sweet!

Be the example and don't be afraid to say no.

Good luck!

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    Is he open to reading stuff, or have you already tried that route?

Good Calories, Bad Calories is a decent book.

Evolutionary Psychiatry | Psychology Today is good. She talks about mood and skin issues and diet in some articles. She's a doctor, which helps some people.

I've gone through rounds with my own husband about this. He's only now starting to accept that I'm not trying to murder him.

The Husband isn't a reader. When he gets home from work he reads more emails and works from home (nature of the job). He did tell the the other week to not even bother putting veggies on his plate, or at least to not bother asking his veggie preference for the evening. Sad.

I am going to stick to my guns and stop buying their Cheez-its and Wheat Thins with the grocery shopping. Since I know that will bring much protest, I am going to find recipes that are more Primal/Paleo friendly for their snack foods. Not perfect but a possible compromise. At least homemade is better than preservative-laden, fake orange crap.

Goosejuggler is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I don't have kids to contend with, but I did have a carb-o-holic BF. I persuaded him to give up grains (only grains!) for a week, and begged him to do it for me. I'm pretty sure he thought I was trying to kill him, like the poster above.

It's been a long, occasionally bumpy road - but this Jan we are embarking on our second Whole 30 and otherwise live a paleo lifestyle.

Good luck!
    The Paleo Strongwoman - A site dedicated to strength, and feeding strength.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast