Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Krill oil brand recommendation page 2

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Nuts and seeds are on the list of items our ancestors eat in a variety of climates.....that makes them on my list.

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    Go with CVS Algal-900 DHA. The body needs EPA and DHA omega 3. Your body can reduce the DHA (long chain) to EPA (medium chain) pretty well. It's tougher to go from EPA to DHA, however. Krill has both EPA and DHA. But the Algal doesn't have the fishy smell. Alga is the only plant source of DHA (the brain needs DHA). Plant sources of omega 3 such as that from Flax is short-chain ALA. The body doesn't use ALA.

BTW next time you go to the grocery store look at the liquid cooking oils that say "Omega 3 ALA" ALA will be in very small print. The consumer is being duped.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

rockrunner Guest
    So how do we eat get our proper dose of Omega 3 fatty acids without eating fish and/or pills / supplements? There has to be a way from actual food that's not fish....like grass-fed Ruminates?

twa2w is offline Senior Member
    There are plenty of people who seem to get through life in decent health without eating fish or supplementing O3's. And they don't eat grassfed beef or flax or do anything special to get O3s.
    Not sure what all the fuss is about.
    If you are still concerned, I would suggest if your mother reduces her canola,other seed oils, and other high sources of O6, she will likely be OK.

i also don't fully buy the argument that fish oil in capsul form gets oxidized so you should eat fish instead. I suspect that by the time the fish gets caught, shipped to you (perhaps canned), then cooked, the O3 is as likley to be oxidized as a fish oil capsule.
    Although I do believe in whole foods not processed parts of food.

Costco offers Krill Oil capsules at a decent price if you are a member. The reason some suggest Krill is the high level of astaxathin(sp?) which, as an antioxidant, sopposedly protects the O3 from oxidation.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by healthy11 View Post
    I agree... I guess I will tell her not to take any supplement. What other ways are best to get Omega 3 in the diet? Raw macadamias?
    Nuts are a poor source of omega 3's. Even walnuts, which are rich in omega 3's, are mostly useless because ALA isn't well converted into EPA and DHA.

The big question is why worry about omega 3's? I don't believe we need them, and if we do the quantity is very, very small relative to other fats. My views on PUFA's is if you're going to eat them, it's preferred from an animal source (like salmon, swordfish, tuna, grassfed dairy, grassfed ruminant meat), but ultimately I think the less the better. My omega 3's are mostly incidental - whatever I Get from my red meat, eggs and grassfed butter/cheeses. I'll eat fish about once a week, but because I like it. Not to get omega 3's. I don't detect a difference with or without fish.

If you feel better with more omega 3's in your diet, eat more wild caught fish. If you don't, I wouldn't worry about it. Omega 3's are the fastest fats to oxidize (especially EPA which can be downright toxic). "Omega 3" is a buzzword right now. Societies thrived for millions of years with little omega 3's in their diet. Most people don't have access to fatty coldwater fish - we never really did since we only recently migrated to cold water climates - so IMO don't worry about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rockrunner View Post
    So how do we eat get our proper dose of Omega 3 fatty acids without eating fish and/or pills / supplements? There has to be a way from actual food that's not fish....like grass-fed Ruminates?
    I don't believe there is a proper dose of omega 3. Where did this come from? Do your research and you'll find it's coming from food corporations trying to ram seed oils down your throat that are rich in ALA. Fish oil and seed oils were historically used as varnish as they are "drying oils" - simple exposure to heat and oxygen turns them into a glasslike finish, which is why you season cast iron with flax or fish oils to produce the best coating (and consequently why lard and olive oil are terrible at seasoning - too stable).

This is a bangup article:

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles...ablefats.shtml

As is this:

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/fishoil.shtml

Read them both, then tell me if you think fish oil is healthy for you. These studies that show fish oil to be beneficial are all short-term studies. In the short-term, it may seem beneficial because they seem like they're anti-inflammatory because they literally shut off your immune system (no immune system, no inflammation response). It's like putting out a fire in your trash can by hitting your house with a tidal wave. It's only a matter of time until these fish oils are linked to all kinds of cancer. It's already being linked to prostate cancer.

http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/conten...wr027.abstract
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 12-27-2012 at 04:10 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Well there is quite a bit of debate about our evolutionary past including cold vs warm climate and which times are most relevant to our study of human diet. Some researchers seem to point to our brains as proof that we had ready access to a lot of DHA. Could be that we evolved along coast rifts with lots of access to shellfish.

I may regret quoting Jack, but the data is there in this case.....I see your crazy peat and raise you a crazy kruse!

"In 2005, Dr. Cunnane found that eating one kilogram (1/2 pound) of shellfish from mollusks and crustaceans is all that is needed to meet these requirements to fuel human brain growth. Shellfish happens to be found in shallow water sources and was known to be abundant in the Rift Zone coastal fossils. Cunnane’s data also was in line with what Cordain reported from 1999 to 2005, but Dr. Cunnane went further with this data.

He showed that it would have been impossible to form the size of the current human brain without a seafood source because DHA was the critical element to its construction. Meat does not contain enough DHA to form a human brain. This implies paleo alone is not enough. This is why the internet forms are loaded with people not hitting their targets. The evidence for that is found in the brain to body ratio’s of all land based mammals on this planet. It seems today many are blinded to this science. This insight might have hit the bone collectors or the early paleo supporters, if they had examined closely, what really separates us from primates, instead of assuming what has been published in the literature was factually correct."

BG 5: PARADIGM DRIFTS PARADIGM SHIFTS: EPI-PALEO? | Living an Optimized Life

Bottom line I don't think it hurts to keep taking quality fish oil as long as your refrigerating it and are sure its of good quality. But don't limit your seafood intake based on some hypothesis that you don't need pufa's....there is quite a bit of evidence for keeping seafood in your diet.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 12-27-2012 at 04:51 PM.

DigiSurg is offline Member
    Fish oil never trumps shell fish because it does not have the co factors to get the maximum effect of the pi electron clouds. Read BG 13 to find out why DHA is that special........I am and have never been a fan of fish oil supplements. I wrote about that in August of 2011 right before the AHS at UCLA. No one else was talking about this then. Wolf published his book with the crazy fish oil calculator and that is why this topic came up on the Santa Monica pier that day. Fish oil is not something that can replace shellfish/seafood at all. Anyone who says fish oil is equivalent to real seafood gets a thumbs down from me and the science we think is true today.
    Last edited by DigiSurg; 12-27-2012 at 07:07 PM.

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    humans traveled and traded, and that included seaweed on other food items. For example, rocks for clovis points found at McFaddin Beach (Gulf of Mexico) Texas:
    McFaddin Beach
    McFaddin Beach

Sources of rock used to manufacture artifacts during the Paleoindian period, including such distant sources as Knife River Flint (30, North Dakota), Weeping Water Creek (59, Nebraska), Spanish Diggings (44, Wyoming), Minnelusa (35, Wyoming), and Chuska (5, New Mexico). Source: Stright, Lear, and Bennett (1999:Fig. 10).
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

I've stopped supplementing fish oil based on concerns over oxidation and shelf life, since I eat quite a bit of wild-caught fish and shellfish already. While our brains may have evolved on a diet that included fish, there is certainly room for discussion over dietary needs for ω-3 of healthy adults today. Perhaps the issue in "getting more ω-3s into the diet" is less about ω-3s per se and more about ω-6s: the SAD is so reliant on nasty industrial oils that whatever range of healthful ω-6:ω-3 we may have consumed in our recent past is jacked to hell. So the simple presription would be: cut down on industrial oils and processed fats (ω-6), eat wild fish and shellfish when possible (ω-3), make your meat selections grass-fed ruminants when possible (ω-3), and if you feel the need to supplement fish oil be sure it is of the highest quality.

Nobody said it trumps it.....but, we are talking to an individual who says their significant other WILL NOT eat seafood of any sort. In that case finding a good source of supplemental DHA may be the next best thing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast