Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 61

Thread: Why do I even bother? page 6

  1. #51
    Drumroll's Avatar
    Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,900
    Quote Originally Posted by JoPaleo View Post
    THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If you're allergic to particular foods or particular foods make you feel gross, people will go out of their way to help you avoid them, well, MOST people. But once you mention optimizing health or, worse, weight loss, then you've threatened them somehow and they feel the need to pressure you to eat crap. It's just the way most humans are I guess. Ah well...
    At Thanksgiving I tried to tell my father that I was gluten intolerant (I believe I am at least as a result of primal eating), and he basically said "if you're going to be in my house, you're going to eat wheat. It's good for you. Eat it and stop complaining."

    Like, he couldn't accept it at all!

  2. #52
    Kharnath's Avatar
    Kharnath is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    278
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalMama View Post
    I have a raw vegan* friend who posts things about figs, spinach, romaine and kale being high protein foods. Sure, those are all pretty good foods, but high protein? no...
    What is your definition of high protein?

  3. #53
    valmason01's Avatar
    valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Gainesville, Fl
    Posts
    1,296
    That is hard Drumroll. Family is....difficult at times As I tell my (very argumentative son and nephew) Just smile and wave boys..

    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    At Thanksgiving I tried to tell my father that I was gluten intolerant (I believe I am at least as a result of primal eating), and he basically said "if you're going to be in my house, you're going to eat wheat. It's good for you. Eat it and stop complaining."

    Like, he couldn't accept it at all!
    You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

    Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

  4. #54
    Drumroll's Avatar
    Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,900
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharnath View Post
    What is your definition of high protein?
    Exactly. Per calorie, they are EXTRMELY high protein actually. Just not very bio available proteins and the bulk you'd need to eat to get enough is ridiculous.

  5. #55
    EagleRiverDee's Avatar
    EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Posts
    673
    I'm fairly new (started the Monday before Thanksgiving) but have lost 11 lbs over the holidays. That's amazing to me. And people are noticing. They ask me, "What are you doing?" and I tell them and they instantly say, "Oh. I can't live without bread and pasta." And it amazes me. I mean, these are people with a good 50+ extra pounds. Why not change how they eat, and then do the occasional cheat meal that includes bread or pasta later, after the weight is gone? To me, the risks, premature aging and general discomfort of being obese are much worse than giving up grain. I just fell below the obese BMI and am now *just* overweight but my goal is to reach a nice healthy weight and I don't plan on giving that up just for a bowl of pasta.

  6. #56
    dirk41's Avatar
    dirk41 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    116
    Maybe one day it will be socially acceptable to say you're eating paleo (as it is today with gluten-free). But until then, I'd try to avoid the conversation as much as possible. If you have to say anything, just say you have food allergies and you feel a lot better on this diet. Saying you're trying to eat healthy, eating "nutrient-dense" foods, or claiming grains are bad for you will make people think you are crazy, elitist, and/or stupid. It's an unfair and unfortunate reality.

    I work in an office and from what I can gather, people seem to have a consensus on what they consider healthy eating. If if it's someone's birthday and there's cake or if it's the holidays and there's candy, people will gladly indulge and almost everyone will make some joke about how it's bad for them but oh well. Occasionally people will bring in salads for lunch and say something like I'm trying to eat healthy. But people simply won't accept you if you say you are trying to eat healthy by giving up grains and eating saturated fat and meat. It's like you're breaking society if you do that.

  7. #57
    merryish's Avatar
    merryish is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    158
    Just read this whole thread, and I love it.

    I've been seeing the same doctor for 2 years now for autoimmune issues. I see him every 6 weeks or so. When we met, I weighed 370 lbs. Now I weigh 270. For the past year, every time he's seen me, he's said, "Hey, have you lost more weight?!" and tells me how great it is and to keep it up.

    The last time I saw him, he finally asked: "So, what are you doing?"

    So I told him: No grains, period. No processed food. Lots of vegetables, lots of stuff like avocado, coconut oil, eggs, BACON, etc. I was so careful not to use the words "paleo" or "caveman" or anything like it.

    But it's a teaching hospital, and there was an intern there taking notes. She perked up and said, "Oh, you're doing the PALEO thing!" and proceeded to explain it to my doc in terms of "eating like a caveman!"

    He was all, "You don't cook it?!"

    I said no, I totally cook it. It's okay.

    He said, "Like a CAVEMAN? Really?"

    I said, "Sort of. It's more about eating whole foods, no grains, low carb for me because I have weight to lose."

    That was when he started laughing. Because it's so FUNNY, guys! Trying to lose weight like a CAVEMAN! Hilarious!

    I mean, never mind that he's been watching me shrink for a YEAR, never mind that he's seen my autoimmune symptoms diminish so much he took me off one major drug, never mind I'm back in his office because I accidentally ate orzo that I thought was rice a week ago and suddenly, mysteriously, I'm having a flare-up.

    Because it's FUNNY, see, eating like a caveman!

    I just blew it off, but it really brought home to me how out-there most people think this lifestyle is. Sitting there as a trained professional whose job it is to monitor and evaluate my health, with the evidence of huge improvements right before his eyes, and he can't even begin to process it.

    Yowza. People really DON'T want to hear.

  8. #58
    Drumroll's Avatar
    Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,900
    Merryish, I couldn't have said it better. Maybe it's time you find a new doc. Your post there is now officially one of the best I have read around here. Sums up my frustration PERFECTLY.


  9. #59
    valmason01's Avatar
    valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Gainesville, Fl
    Posts
    1,296
    Just read your whole journal. Wow...I want to be just like you when I grow up!

    Quote Originally Posted by merryish View Post
    Just read this whole thread, and I love it.

    I've been seeing the same doctor for 2 years now for autoimmune issues. I see him every 6 weeks or so. When we met, I weighed 370 lbs. Now I weigh 270. For the past year, every time he's seen me, he's said, "Hey, have you lost more weight?!" and tells me how great it is and to keep it up.

    The last time I saw him, he finally asked: "So, what are you doing?"

    So I told him: No grains, period. No processed food. Lots of vegetables, lots of stuff like avocado, coconut oil, eggs, BACON, etc. I was so careful not to use the words "paleo" or "caveman" or anything like it.

    But it's a teaching hospital, and there was an intern there taking notes. She perked up and said, "Oh, you're doing the PALEO thing!" and proceeded to explain it to my doc in terms of "eating like a caveman!"

    He was all, "You don't cook it?!"

    I said no, I totally cook it. It's okay.

    He said, "Like a CAVEMAN? Really?"

    I said, "Sort of. It's more about eating whole foods, no grains, low carb for me because I have weight to lose."

    That was when he started laughing. Because it's so FUNNY, guys! Trying to lose weight like a CAVEMAN! Hilarious!

    I mean, never mind that he's been watching me shrink for a YEAR, never mind that he's seen my autoimmune symptoms diminish so much he took me off one major drug, never mind I'm back in his office because I accidentally ate orzo that I thought was rice a week ago and suddenly, mysteriously, I'm having a flare-up.

    Because it's FUNNY, see, eating like a caveman!

    I just blew it off, but it really brought home to me how out-there most people think this lifestyle is. Sitting there as a trained professional whose job it is to monitor and evaluate my health, with the evidence of huge improvements right before his eyes, and he can't even begin to process it.

    Yowza. People really DON'T want to hear.
    You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

    Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

  10. #60
    EagleRiverDee's Avatar
    EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Posts
    673
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Merrish- I see a naturopath and when I told her I was doing Primal Blueprint and mentioned Mark Sisson's name she said, "Oh, that guy" in a very derisive tone. And frankly I think she needs to read his book, because he speaks of many of the same things she speaks of. Whole foods. Natural foods without hormones, GMO's, pesticides. Eating alkaline foods to help your body achieve PH homeostasis. These are all things SHE talks about. I think people just think "caveman diet" and don't understand that Mark may not be a doctor but he did his homework. You don't have to agree with every aspect of PB to recognize that it's got a lot of good stuff going for it. Prior to PB I was doing the Anti-Inflammatory Diet (which my doctor totally supports) and they are VERY similar. Not identical, but quite similar. They both embrace lots of vegetables, only grass-fed hormone and antibiotic free meats, no wheat, no processed foods, no sugar. But I'm not dumping my doc. Instead, I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing and let the bloodwork results and my physical changes convince her.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •