Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do I even bother? page 2

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I no longer bother to explain either. A while back I discovered that people don't want to hear about a diet free of grains and many get irritated if I mention it. Either that, or they think they'll die without the cereal, bread and cookies.
    Somehow talking about Paleo feels like talking politics or religion. I never before realized people could get so sensitive when nutrition is being discussed.
    I'm just doing my thing that works for me and what everyone else puts into their mouth I could care less about.

JoPaleo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sqidmark View Post
    "Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed. - Friedrich Nietzsche
    +10000000000000000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Honestly though, it's not your job. There are better ways to share this information with people than shoving it on them. YOU don't want to hear about THEIR whack diet, do you? That's probably how it comes across to them. I am not like some people here, I have no weight loss to show off or that was at all noticeable for anyone but my Boyfriend and myself. If people ask how my skin is so clear (not right now, thanks Christmas cookies), I tell them I don't really eat sweets. People will come to their own conclusions, trust who they want to trust, be deluded if they choose to. It's not your job to tell them otherwise, and I think it's actually rude how often people seem to (both from the primal/paleo community as well as SAD or whatever fad diet) push their dogma on other people.

Hrm. </rant>

Long story short, and sorry, that's not really aimed at you, but the answer is don't. Don't bother.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    I never say a thing about PB. People don't seem to be interested in eating programs unless it's something they've heard of - Jenny Craig, Atkins, stuff like that. I tell them I've cut *way* back on processed foods and grains, because I'm starving all the time if I eat stuff like that. When they say they could never do that, I tell them I did it little by little and now it's easy. Of course, they don't believe it! That's usually the end of the conversation. I do feel kind of sad for the people I care about who are eating themselves sick, but people have all kinds of demons that bring them daily misery. Bad food is just one more. I can't (ha, I'm not qualified to) fix other people's lives for them.

I do spend a good bit of energy finding and making primal foods that my family will enjoy. But again, I don't care if they're on board with the philosophy. As long as they're happily eating better foods, I feel victorious.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    Yeh they ask but usually they're wanting to hear about some quick magic formula.
    Actually, I get the whole "but fat is bad and heart healthy whole grains for weight loss" responses and heaven forbid you try to show them evidence that proves anything contrary.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    i loathe explaining my diet at this point. i specifically try to avoid it. i claim it was all the raspberry ketones and acai berries i've been taking no, but really, i hate explaining it to people.

Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    I no longer bother to explain either. A while back I discovered that people don't want to hear about a diet free of grains and many get irritated if I mention it. Either that, or they think they'll die without the cereal, bread and cookies.
    Somehow talking about Paleo feels like talking politics or religion. I never before realized people could get so sensitive when nutrition is being discussed.
    I'm just doing my thing that works for me and what everyone else puts into their mouth I could care less about.
    I'm starting to feel more like this is all true every day. Even if they ask first, they expect your answer to be 100% in line with what they already "know". Heaven forbid it's not.

I can just imagine telling them about the fasts I've been doing.

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Honestly though, it's not your job. There are better ways to share this information with people than shoving it on them. YOU don't want to hear about THEIR whack diet, do you? That's probably how it comes across to them. I am not like some people here, I have no weight loss to show off or that was at all noticeable for anyone but my Boyfriend and myself. If people ask how my skin is so clear (not right now, thanks Christmas cookies), I tell them I don't really eat sweets. People will come to their own conclusions, trust who they want to trust, be deluded if they choose to. It's no your job to tell them otherwise, and I think it's actually rude how often people seem to (both from the primal/paleo community as well as SAD or whatever fad diet) push their dogma on other people.
    Q
    Hrm. </rant>

Long story short, and sorry, that's not really aimed at you, but the answer is don't. Don't bother.
    Heh. This post came out of them asking ME. So they WANTED to know. Or so they thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    green tea the wonder drug that prevents cancer, cures diabetes, sheds 100 lbs, enlarges your penis and instantly adds 10 years to your lifespan and subtracts 10 years from your appearance
    Truth.

cmlloyd Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    "Common sense and fairy dust"
    I don't let on it's "primal"
    They get that headlight in the eye look if you say bacon is good and wheat is bad.
    It's almost worth throwing your hands up and pointing them towards the donut table and saying "they are fat free"

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast