Thread: Blood glucose level help page

JonnyH is offline Senior Member

Blood glucose level help

Primal Fuel
    Hi

Hope everyone had a great christmas.

So I got given as an early christmas present a blood glucose monitor, a good one, so happy that it's pretty reliable!

The last 4 mornings on waking at 7, after having last eaten at 5 the previous evening, my glucose levels have been 6.4 or 6.5 mmol.

According to this site and many others I may have Impaired Fasting Glycemia:

Impaired Fasting Glycemia (IFG) - Impaired Fasting Glucose

Looking at the symptoms on the site above, I have had a sort of blurred vision for a while now, have to sort of keep refocusing my eyes if that makes sense. Also I do pee a lot, have high cholesterol and have a fair number of what feel like chest infections coming on, but they dont seem to ever come to much.

I have been low carb for around 3 years now, currently I'm around 100-150g per day, mainly sweet potatoes and fruit. Lots of good fats, butter, coconut milk, avocadoes, EVOO, macadamia nuts, fair amout of fish, beef and lamb once or twice a week.

I exercise around 5 times a week, a mixture of running, cycling and weights, with brisk walks with the dog some days too.

Any advice for this? I do intend to get a hospital blood test soon.
    Has anyone else had this, and if so what strategies are good to lower the fasting glucose numbers?

Most sites I've read advocate lots of fruit and veg, low fat and lots of grains and fibre!

Many thanks.

TNFrogDogMom is offline Junior Member
    I suggest you check blood glucose before you eat then one hour and two hours after eating. Keep a log of what you eat and the correlating blood glucose readings for about 2 weeks. Doing this will let you track if it is only fasting BG or possibly glucose intolerance or other metabolic issue. When you visit your physician having this log may help determine what tests are warranted. Fasting glucose alone really doesn't tell you much.

Hope this helps.

JonnyH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TNFrogDogMom View Post
    I suggest you check blood glucose before you eat then one hour and two hours after eating. Keep a log of what you eat and the correlating blood glucose readings for about 2 weeks. Doing this will let you track if it is only fasting BG or possibly glucose intolerance or other metabolic issue. When you visit your physician having this log may help determine what tests are warranted. Fasting glucose alone really doesn't tell you much.

Hope this helps.
    Many thanks for reply, yes helps a lot, I have started to check at other times, like you suggest 1 and 2 hours after meals.
    Not seen higher than 6.6, even after a big meal with around 50g carbs.

I had a low carb day yesterday, just got up, it's 6.1 this morning, so an improvement.

Thanks again.

dizzyorange is offline Senior Member
    There's a cortisol spike right when you get up in the morning which raises your BG levels. Most important is to check your BG 2 hours after meals. Honestly I wouldn't bother checking BG first thing in the morning.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Fasting levels can be deceiving. What you want your doctor to do is an A1C test. That gives an average of your blood glucose levels over the past 3 months. My doctor uses that rather than the fasting number to assess my BG. I am not diabetic, but all my siblings are, so I am vigilant about this.

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    Fasting levels can be deceiving. What you want your doctor to do is an A1C test. That gives an average of your blood glucose levels over the past 3 months. My doctor uses that rather than the fasting number to assess my BG. I am not diabetic, but all my siblings are, so I am vigilant about this.
    Emmie, by "deceiving" you mean that fasting BG is the usually last indicator to show diabetes? My fasting numbers never were an issue but my postprandial spikes were off the hook until I learned how to modify my diet.