Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Ranting and rambling. Or, What's with the fads lately??? page 7

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    gopintos, as far as I have followed, you have not done any fad crash potato diet. All you have done is add potatoes to your already good diet. It is not a fad to eat potatoes. I eat them often myself, but I don't consider myself one of the potato people.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    Good post. I do see this as a lifestyle. So far, I feel terrific eating this way. I exercise harder than Mark would recommend (I do P90X) but it feels good to me and does not feel like I'm overtraining. I did Insanity for a while and that DID feel like I was overtraining and I stopped. But the dietary component of PB is working for me and I feel great. I see no reason why I can't do this for life. Over the holidays I kept things very moderate and only went off-plan for Thanksgiving and New Years and I lost 11 lbs during that time period. I don't have a bunch of cravings for sweets and junk and don't want to sabotage the work I've done so far by eating a bunch of crap.
    I love the Insanity informercial, but hate the P90X one. I'm not a fan of either plan, really, but that's because I don't go in for plans.

Nevertheless, I've found myself doing a far more vigorous yoga program than usual. . . and that's been interesting to do 6 days instead of 4 (as I was before). it's probably more than mark would assert, too. still, I like it.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I think you really do need to get down to whole foods, then find what (if anything), you are sensitive to.

I am doing another Whole 30 and really want to take the add back in part seriously. I like potatoes but often feel like I might have some nightshade sensitivity.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    gopintos, as far as I have followed, you have not done any fad crash potato diet. All you have done is add potatoes to your already good diet. It is not a fad to eat potatoes. I eat them often myself, but I don't consider myself one of the potato people.
    Yal I guess that is why I dont see it as a fad, because it is something that I have embraced and incorporated and use as necessary just like fasting or going keto for a few days now and then. Not sure what all other "fads" OP is talking about. I might see those as fads also
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I can't understand why the potato diet should be considered anything more of a hack than very low carb. The two hacks complement each other if you do it right.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I suppose people feel no need for hacks, really.

perhaps there is a concern that people might think that PB is something other than. . . what it is. . . from these hacks.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    A hack involves using your brain ... one of the primal laws ... so I don't see a problem with that.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    It wouldn't be so annoying if there weren't so many breathless threads started about it.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    It's all good, but given that PB is a really simple diet..... all these hacks make you wonder if it works. There seem to be more topics on Hacks than actually practicing PB. Having been a member a year, I know enough about people doing hacks to understand why they do them. But I'd hate to see some newbie discouraged by thinking it is going to take potato fasts, IFing, fruit elimination and iodine supplementation to lose 10 lbs.

Most people probably need help with the diplomatic way to turn down pizza on January 15th or a couple of breakfast ideas that don't include bacon and eggs. Or need to understand why they can and should eat fat and not processed sugar.

Maybe a good solution would be a seperate place for Hacks outside of the nutrition forum?

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Totally agree with the original post. I've been around here for a long time, much longer than 2009, that's just when the forum started. I was around when MarksDailyApple had the horrible cartoon avatar of Mark in red shorts with the gigantic head; does anyone remember that? Oh, and when Mark would actually contribute to the forum. The hacks that existed then were based on extreme primal, not extreme something else (zero carb vs. low carb for example). As an aside, I have to giggle at these "member" "junior member" "senior member" titles. It should be based on how long you've walked the walk, not just how often you hit "post quick reply".

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast