Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ranting and rambling. Or, What's with the fads lately??? page 4

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    The guy Mark showcases is barely eating for months on end [/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Basically, he took on a diet that a lot of people could not maintain that isn't really primal....
    Worked for him, no doubt. But a discouraging message to overweight people to think they need to just function while hungry to lose.
    These made me think that maybe I was reading a different Friday success story from everyone else. I went back to see what I missed.

As I understand it, the second time he focused on diet, he did an alternate day 'fast', eating normally one day, and eating within a four-hour window on the alternate days. In essence, a late lunch and a dinner. That doesn't seem like 'barely eating', or beyond maintaining by many, or needing to be hungry all the time.

Or am I misunderstanding?

What I thought was interesting about his story, was how he chose to focus all out for 100 days. Not many of us can or want to do that, but it is good to hear about the different methods people use to motivate themselves. And, I thought it was neat that one of the commentors was able to tell him that there is an actual term for this kind of experiment, a 'gong'. Learn something new every day.
    Last edited by Sabine; 12-27-2012 at 07:16 PM. Reason: argh- multi-quote fail!

Althaur is offline Senior Member
    Great googly-moogly! I go to bed and this thing blows up. This time difference makes it hard to respond to something in a timely manner. One more reason Afghanistan sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    As with any dietary approach, if what you do brings you to the finish line, be it slow or fast, you can maintain belief in it. You know that you do the right thing. And everything makes sense.

If the approach does not yield results or leads you away from the finish line, then you start looking for something different. OR a miracle to get your faith re-established.

The truth is that you can achieve unfavorable results with following the Primal Blueprint. People have gained significant amount of fat, acquired binging habits, screwed up their digestion, skin condition, etc. PB, like any other dietary approach is semi-empirical, not unfailable, and not universal. Dismissing negative experiments as 'whining' or 'something is wrong with you' is a property of faith, of course.

Blessed are the believers.
    Leida, some people did have negative results. No denying that. I'd be willing to bet there were other contributing factors though. The majority of peopel who follow the PB see positive results, to varying degrees of course. I don't recall ever "dismissing" the negative results. I suggested other issues when someone feels they didn't meet their goals on the PB.

Deleted my morning crankiness. Apologies, Leida, for being snippy.
    Last edited by Althaur; 12-28-2012 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Lack of coffee and sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    You just described the missing element in PB. A quick way to get back to where you should be.

I also hated reading these forums for years and seeing time and again, "I overate, now I will fast for 2 days" or "I'm doing my 3rd Whole 30 and still not losing".

I stumbled across a vegetarian approach to safe, rapid weightloss last year. It was first popularized by Mary McDougall McDougall Newsletter June 2006 Mary's Mini-McD Diet in the 80's and recently revived by Ray Cronise Thermogenex - Fuel the Burn | in some random comments on his blog.

We have spent months tweaking this diet, and have discovered some amazing things:

1. Potatoes are a rich (maybe the richest) source of resistant starch, an element almost completely lacking in Primal Blueprint diet. Resistant Starch

2. Potatoes are the most satiating of any food you can eat. Fullness Factor™ – NutritionData.com

3. Potatoes contain protein (all essential amino acids) and are a great source of vitamins and minerals Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Potato, baked, flesh and skin, without salt

4. Eating mainly potatoes for 7-14 days, while not extremely pleasant, results in rapid weight loss.

5. Adding potatoes to your Primal Blueprint diet is an extremely cheap way to ensure you are getting the starch, resistant starch, glucose, fiber, etc... needed for good health without getting large doses of fructose and sucrose that comes with other carb sources.

So, all-in-all, I think the "Potato Diet", "Primal Potato Diet", "Potato Reset", and "Super Secret Potato Diet" threads have all been positive learning experiences for everyone involved. If I had ever gotten a sense that potatoes were being used for evil, or a way of punishing oneself, I would have stopped talking about it long ago.

I guess all new things start out as fads, but I really hope that people will give the Potato Diet a try. I think it serves a great purpose as a "Reset" for times like these, around the holidays, when life gets in the way and you get stuck eating (for whatever reasons) poisons and SAD foods which can bloat you and leave you feeling terrible for weeks. Many have been known to just say 'F--- it!' around this time of year when they see all their previous year's gains disappear in 2 weeks of office parties and family gatherings.

Just to recap, this is what we decided the Potato Diet is:
    What is it with this belief there should be a quick way to accomplish ANYTHING? Accomplishment takes work. I don't care what the Potato Diet is. It's a crash diet. It's a quick fix. IN MY OPINION (read that again) it's an "easy" solution for someone who doesn't want to do hard work.

I still enjoy potatoes while eating Primal. I don't gorge myself on them or only eat them for days on end. That would ultimately be unhealthy. Instead, I have them as part of a well thought out meal plan. Well, as well thought out as I can have eating in the chow halls out here right now. When home, my wife and I enjoy mashed sweet potatoes, or roasted baby potatoes with a roast. BUT, I realize they are one of many healthy food options. Not a magic pill.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    Perhaps it is missing for good reason. We may LIKE a quick way of reversing damage done to our bodies, but is it possible, and if so, is it GOOD for us. These are questions we should ask, rather than just looking for a 'quick fix'. Do the work, people. (And I say this as someone who has had a hard time doing it. It is not necessarily easy.)
    Well said, Sabine.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    That is why PB was written in the first place, to go against the grain of CW in an attempt to get some new ideas and new thinking out there
    Actually, things like the potato fast are really CW at it's finest, restricting yourself to a few food items to lose weight quickly. Slim Fast, Grapefruit Diet, Juice Diet....come to mind. Or that cookie diet.

I'm of the belief that if you don't lose the fat in a sustainable manner, you will likely gain it back. If I go back to CW eating, I'll gain all my PB loss back. If I lose 10 lbs on a potato fast and go back to 80/20 primal, I'll gain 10 lbs back. For me, the best option is slow loss in a format that I can eat for the rest of my life.

My experience, but I have a lot of experience with dieting.

On the fasting, great if you can sustain that. I can skip lunch a few days a week. I can't imagine being able to manage the every other day 4 hour window. You might be able to sustain it in a vacuum, but for most people, life will get in the way of that option. I'd say he has some likelihood of returning to primal and seeing some weight gain.

I think the long term success stories (people who kept the weight off for years) would be those who followed and continue to follow the PB as written, with few if any tweaks.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I was wondering if anyone actually noticed that at least as far as the healthy ways SAD is on a merging course with Paleo. It seems that the majority of the nutritionists lately are accepting the necessity of increasing the fat intake and decreasing the grain consumption. I hear more and more advice on increasing fat and protein intake from the mainstream media. There is also a widespread, if vague awareness in the culture now that sugars, bread and pasta are fattening.

I'm of the belief that if you don't lose the fat in a sustainable manner, you will likely gain it back. If I go back to CW eating, I'll gain all my PB loss back. If I lose 10 lbs on a potato fast and go back to 80/20 primal, I'll gain 10 lbs back. For me, the best option is slow loss in a format that I can eat for the rest of my life.

My experience, but I have a lot of experience with dieting.

On the fasting, great if you can sustain that. I can skip lunch a few days a week. I can't imagine being able to manage the every other day 4 hour window. You might be able to sustain it in a vacuum, but for most people, life will get in the way of that option. I'd say he has some likelihood of returning to primal and seeing some weight gain.
    That's exactly what I was trying to comment on. No matter which path you follow, in my experience, it takes the escalation of efforts to maintain weight loss, compared to the losing weight. So, if the weight loss was achieved by extreme measures, be that one-food item type eating (be that potatoes, coconut oil, grapefruits), fasting, long-term under-eating, cardio-marathon, ingesting chemical aids, the weight will not stay down. I think that is confirmed by the statistics that most people regain their weight loss over the years.

I would still argue the point that Primal Blueprint or Paleo in or of itself is an antitheses to 'CW". CW is simply a high-carb and low fat approach. People can and will take it to extremes - just like they take Paleo and Primal to the extremes. It is human nature to be impatient and keep the eyes on the goal.

Yet, maybe the most useful thing that i have learned in my Never-ending Journey through the Nutritional Wonderland was the little story in Susan Albers book. It went like this:

An apprentice came to the wise Master and asked how long it will take him to achieve the enlightenment. The Master thought and answered: 10 years. The Apprentice asked: What if I try REAL HARD? The Master said: 20 years. The Apprentice did not give up: "What if I try really, really, REALLY hard?" The Master said: 30 years.

"Why?" asked the Apprentice.

Because when you keep one eye on the goal, you have only one eye on the road.

CW, Paleo, Primal, Slow Carb, Perfect Health Diet, Zone, even Vegetarian - those are, again, empirical approaches that work for a group of people because they manage to hit the macros ratio and food selections that keeps an individual at his or her best with the highest satiation. Now, what individual does after he or she tried the diet determines the success. Pushing the concept to the extremes OR changing it too much (remember, empirical part!) often results in a quick success but a long term waste of time. In general, though, I think that the more the omissions are there in a diet, the smaller is the group of people who achieves the success on it. Again, in the short-term, restrictions cause the losses - simply not much to eat. In the long term - they cause either psychological or physiological bottle-necks in the system.

Interestingly, I think the most valuable part of the Primal Blueprint is the fitness concept. The nutritional concept is simply an arbitrary and murky restrictions on a whole food diet concept. I think a person who desires the best outcome should not be in a hurry, and start with the Whole Foods by simply eliminating everything processed, and then continue eliminating only if it doesn't work.

Now, if I only could practice what I preach, lol.
    Last edited by Leida; 12-28-2012 at 07:08 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I think a person who desires the best outcome should not be in a hurry, and start with the Whole Foods by simply eliminating everything processed, and then continue eliminating only if it doesn't work.
    Exactly. I think that most people would gain excellent health on a whole foods diet, while losing weight slowly. If you go from SAD to a rounded diet of meats, fruit, veg, starches and even grains you would lose weight. I think CW skews a little to far to the grains and leaves people malnourished.

For me, eating primally has led to being more nourished. I swear, I used to be missing out on something and desperately trying to get to it via sweets.

Fitness is such a key as well. I think like our diets, fitness needs to be rounded with long and slow, weights and hard cardio (sprints). It's balancing all 3 that makes a good body.

We need to live healthily- sleep, stay low on stress and be happy.

If you get those 3 things, your body will drop fat to a healthy range. The crux of that is that a healthy range is a range and a lot of our mental image of the ideal is of bodies that are actually in an unhealthy range or gotten by unhealthy means. I think that is what trips women up. It's not enough to be a healthy size 10 or 12, so we malnourish ourselves, add too much exercise and add in stress to be what is now an unhealthy size 6, with our body wanting to be that healthy size 10.

When our bodies are being fed correctly, we should feel no anxiety about eating or foods. I hit on that back in October. Not too much restriction, limited desire for junk. Every meal hit the spot. Now I have veered into Christmas Junk Land... I need to get back to equilibrium- probably a Whole 30 then back to the way I ate in october.

You can't reach this equilibrium by treating your body like a dumpster for crap food- we all know this. But you also can't reach this equilibrium with crazy restrictions. You will over-correct at some point.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Bobert is offline Senior Member
    I dont understand why the potato hack has so much momentum. It worked for a few people and they seem to be the ones pushing it across multiple threads and websites. Atticus kept very detailed results and his BF% loss was a matching number from a caloric deficit. He also lost a bunch of lean mussle mass. Some reported gaining weight, some reported getting sick...IDK Dont get me wrong I love the n-1's. But if its not sustainable in the long term neither will be the results.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You can't reach this equilibrium by treating your body like a dumpster for crap food- we all know this. But you also can't reach this equilibrium with crazy restrictions. You will over-correct at some point.
    Exactly. Even if restrictions do not at the first glance appear to be severe or crazy it can potentially trigger really bad reactions. Been there. I know, it's hard to believe, but I think a lot of us are self-medicating through food instinctively. And if you happen to self-medicated through a white potato or banana, and the Whole 30 tells you not to eat it, or you gotta drop bananas to cut down the BF%, well, the end result is unlikely to be a success.

I am supplementing magnesium, after experiencing leg cramps of my lifetime. I did not before because I love, just love buckwheat and ate it all my life before going paleo. Coincidence?

Actually, that for me would lead to Bobert's statement about the potato diet - it might be gaining so much attention because the restriction on the potatoes is not the high point of the Primal. It makes a very acute point, contrasting the satiation mechanisms of a ketonic vs resistant starch. However, if you look at the data, there is always a portion of people who try who do stellar on either. Hunger shuts down, they feel happy and not obsessed with food - they managed to re-acquire the nutrient and the chemicals that balanced their system. Fasting works the same for a number of people. However, in all likelihood, most people are not so strongly attuned or so well adjusted to succeed on the restrictions. The wider the variety of foods they eat that do not hurt them the more is the likelihood that they are satisfying their body needs.
    Last edited by Leida; 12-28-2012 at 07:51 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast