Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ranting and rambling. Or, What's with the fads lately??? page 3

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Last Friday blog features a quick fix/do whatever it takes to lose weight FAST! story and there is no shortage of people thinking it is both Primal (because it is fasting! no fruit! OMG!) and good (OMG, all that fat lost in 100 days!!!)

(Shrug) what's the difference between the Feature Success Story and otzi's Potato Diet? The guy Mark showcases is barely eating for months on end and never letting himself to have a single slice of fruit 'cause it's gonna ruin everything, CW-style....
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    For most people, if you don't learn to eat right, you'll just keep cycling. I can give you many other diets as "sound" as the hacks here and if you follow, you will lose weight. And then gain it back.

Probably 90% of people just need to adapt the PB lifestyle as written and they will slowly lose weight and gain health. If you start messing around, you end up unhappy.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Oh and I did not like that recent success story..... Basically, he took on a diet that a lot of people could not maintain that isn't really primal. If I had read that as my first "primal success story" I would have never tried the plan. You definitely do not need that to lose weight and I can't imagine it being sustainable for a majority of the population. "Go to bed" yeah.... fine f you don't have anything to do.

Worked for him, no doubt. But a discouraging message to overweight people to think they need to just function while hungry to lose.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Althaur View Post
    Forgot, there's nothing wrong with switching it up short term. Your words, and I agree with them. But when it's being done over and over it's not short term. IF you're doing everything right and you aren't seeing those "unsightly love handles" disappearing, maybe you need to get a reality check. Either you're not doing EVERYthing right, you have a warped perception of how you really look, or MAYBE you actually have a bigger health issue which needs to be resolved.

When the hack is done over an over as a "confession" in order to absolve yourself of bad eating it becomes an excuse to continue the bad behavior. Everyone seems to be looking for a quick fix.

Maybe, the body when healthy will find its "ideal" weight with proper feeding and exercise. Not everyone is going to be lean at their "ideal" weight.
    <3

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Oh and I did not like that recent success story..... Basically, he took on a diet that a lot of people could not maintain that isn't really primal. If I had read that as my first "primal success story" I would have never tried the plan. You definitely do not need that to lose weight and I can't imagine it being sustainable for a majority of the population. "Go to bed" yeah.... fine f you don't have anything to do.

Worked for him, no doubt. But a discouraging message to overweight people to think they need to just function while hungry to lose.
    Yeah. I'm just waiting for the influx of January dieters who get the idea that they have to fast frequently, eat nothing but potatoes for a week, never touch fruit, live on buttered coffee, chow down on cold rice, or whatever else.

I've done best on basic paleo/primal eating plus the lifestyle aspects (sleep, exercise, etc.). The people I see struggling the most are the ones who constantly jump from hack to hack looking for the quick fix rather than sticking with the basics and then adjusting if needed (and giving adjustments time to work!). If you try to constantly flip from ketogenic dieting to potato fasting to leptin resets and whatever else, you're likely to just be frustrated.

Yes, some people have conditions that might require some hacking, but honestly, for most people, eating quality food in appropriate quantities is going to yield results in the form of a healthy body. Whether it's thin enough for some people's idea of perfection is another story.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I think a lot of the hacks are people with bodies that no one would call fat, that want to get super lean. A 40 year old woman at 21% BF is not likely to get to 18% taking a walk and eating 80/20. . It is important to understand where some people are coming from, and also to admit that for a lot of people, just following Primal Blueprint will not get them to their vision of an ideal body.

But yeah, for general health, wellness, a fit body and to be attractive, one does not need a potato fast.

I think you said it there....if you are looking for extreme results you have to ditch the 80/20, skip the fad diets and go all out 100% There are no free rides.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Holy crap, so there's now yet ANOTHER potato thread and even this one almost became one? This is getting ridiculous.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    this whole forum is getting ridiculous
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Jimmy 1622 is offline Junior Member
    Great post, i totally agree. I see people still looking for quick fix. Keep on ranting

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Holy crap, so there's now yet ANOTHER potato thread and even this one almost became one? This is getting ridiculous.
    Yal, there's a new fast thread too.
    There is a new more fat thread too.

I dont know, I dont see the big deal of people tweaking primal to meet their goals. Even Mark writes of eating things (like sweet tators & tators) to knock you off a plateau. He also writes of eating seasonally, which means lots of whatever, and if I am not mistaken, that is what his other new book will be about.

So while it might not be in this book, sounds like it might be in the next one. And that might not be the right context, I don't know. But when you see new studies, new experiments, new information, some things might be subject to change. That is why PB was written in the first place, to go against the grain of CW in an attempt to get some new ideas and new thinking out there. Sometimes what we think is, isn't and what we think isn't, is. (I know, that's deep. It just came to me)
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast