Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ranting and rambling. Or, What's with the fads lately??? page 2

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I enjoy it when I do a search and find a thread from around 2010. That seems to be when the forum was most interesting and thoughtful (as in people did some real thinking and discussing). Too bad I didn't find the forum that long ago.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

cmlloyd Guest

Cool

My bit of input to those trying to tweak it all the time:
    BUY THE BOOK. READ IT.
    If you don't understand it, then ask questions. If you've given it an honest 6 month go, and you haven't lost a pound or don't feel the slightest bit better, tweak your diet to your liking, but don't try to enlist followers who haven't:
    BOUGHT THE BOOK. READ IT.
    Mark says there is no magic bullet/pill.
    He does state that "if" you can't be full on PB then 80/20 and walking 30 minutes per day will work for general healthy improvement, he doesn't say "That's it, that's all you have to do to look like me with my ripped abs and wonderful muscles".
    So if you don't buy the book and read the book, you cannot expect to have results like the writer of the book. He is a walking breathing example of what is in the book. Walking and 80/20 are just the "icing" (lol) on the cake.

PS. I agree with SBhikes

Leida is offline Senior Member
    As with any dietary approach, if what you do brings you to the finish line, be it slow or fast, you can maintain belief in it. You know that you do the right thing. And everything makes sense.

If the approach does not yield results or leads you away from the finish line, then you start looking for something different. OR a miracle to get your faith re-established.

The truth is that you can achieve unfavorable results with following the Primal Blueprint. People have gained significant amount of fat, acquired binging habits, screwed up their digestion, skin condition, etc. PB, like any other dietary approach is semi-empirical, not unfailable, and not universal. Dismissing negative experiments as 'whining' or 'something is wrong with you' is a property of faith, of course.

Blessed are the believers.
    Last edited by Leida; 12-27-2012 at 09:00 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Althaur View Post
    ...I read the forums and I see numerous posts about trying to quickly lose a few more lbs. I see people binging and then asking what to do to lose the 5-10 lbs they put on over the weekend. Numerous posts on the latest fad lose-weight-fast diet or “hack”. As if it’s an excuse to binge on alcohol, junk, etc.

I feel for the people who are struggling. I’ve done it myself. I still will eat poisons I know I shouldn’t. Hell, last night I had a crap load of sugar and felt like crap for doing it. What I didn’t do though, was decide that to make up for it I had to spend the next several days only eating meat, or fruit, or potatoes, or whatever the latest hack is.
    You just described the missing element in PB. A quick way to get back to where you should be.

I also hated reading these forums for years and seeing time and again, "I overate, now I will fast for 2 days" or "I'm doing my 3rd Whole 30 and still not losing".

I stumbled across a vegetarian approach to safe, rapid weightloss last year. It was first popularized by Mary McDougall McDougall Newsletter June 2006 Mary's Mini-McD Diet in the 80's and recently revived by Ray Cronise Thermogenex - Fuel the Burn | in some random comments on his blog.

We have spent months tweaking this diet, and have discovered some amazing things:

1. Potatoes are a rich (maybe the richest) source of resistant starch, an element almost completely lacking in Primal Blueprint diet. Resistant Starch

2. Potatoes are the most satiating of any food you can eat. Fullness Factor™ – NutritionData.com

3. Potatoes contain protein (all essential amino acids) and are a great source of vitamins and minerals Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Potato, baked, flesh and skin, without salt

4. Eating mainly potatoes for 7-14 days, while not extremely pleasant, results in rapid weight loss.

5. Adding potatoes to your Primal Blueprint diet is an extremely cheap way to ensure you are getting the starch, resistant starch, glucose, fiber, etc... needed for good health without getting large doses of fructose and sucrose that comes with other carb sources.

So, all-in-all, I think the "Potato Diet", "Primal Potato Diet", "Potato Reset", and "Super Secret Potato Diet" threads have all been positive learning experiences for everyone involved. If I had ever gotten a sense that potatoes were being used for evil, or a way of punishing oneself, I would have stopped talking about it long ago.

I guess all new things start out as fads, but I really hope that people will give the Potato Diet a try. I think it serves a great purpose as a "Reset" for times like these, around the holidays, when life gets in the way and you get stuck eating (for whatever reasons) poisons and SAD foods which can bloat you and leave you feeling terrible for weeks. Many have been known to just say 'F--- it!' around this time of year when they see all their previous year's gains disappear in 2 weeks of office parties and family gatherings.

Just to recap, this is what we decided the Potato Diet is:

1. Plan on eating mostly potatoes for 5-7 days (90%+ of calories)
    2. Eat between 2 and 4lbs of potatoes daily.
    3. Other foods allowed (but optional!): 1/2 cup sauerkraut, 1 cup bone broth, 1 tsp max daily coconut oil, olive oil, or butter,
    1-2oz lean meat daily. Unlimited coffee, tea, and water.
    4. Spices, salt, pepper, and vinegar OK.
    5. Lifting of Heavy Things discouraged, think ‘de-load week’ Lifting light things/walking OK.
    6. All normal supplements OK to continue
    7. IF’ing, especially by skipping breakfast encouraged.
    8. If you need to lose more weight, alternate the “Potato Reset” diet with healthy Primal Blueprint in 5-7 day increments.
    9. Not recommended for people who eat every 2-3 hours, have glucose issues, or have eating disorders.
    10. Highly recommended for people who have their hunger under control, have been eating PB style for 6 months or more, and are having trouble losing weight with the normal approaches.

Paleobird Guest
    Oh boy. The thread about how PB is supposed to be about the antithesis of short term hacking anything gets hijacked to promote a hack. Just in case we hadn't already read about it in the half dozen other threads devoted to it. Thanks, Otzi.

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    If there's one fad diet out there that's safe to follow, it's the potato diet. It still leaves way to much room for an eating disorder to develop, though, hence why I'll never try it.

And one major red flag in Otzi's list is the "no lifting heavy things" stipulation. So instead of just eating normally and lifting heavy, you take on a crash diet and omit the most hormonally and calorically efficient form of exercise out there? Seems like a case of majoring in the minors to me.
    “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Any drastic switch in macros actually comes with the recommendation to no lift heavy/do intense exercise. Ketonic diet, and PB itself any serious low carb will tell you to lay off activity for a while when adapting. Since you presumably turning to potato diet from a low carb diet to all-carb diet and are expected to minimize caloric intake to almost none, it is only wise to not lift.

I kept the same exercise schedule through a few drastic changes in macros, and at least in case of the ketonic experiment it might have contributed to no success. I also tried potatoes only while on the same workout schedule, and I know I ate far more than other folks who only did light activity. Not that it proves much, as I had to stop potatoes on Day 3 from digestive problems.

At any rate, perhaps, any change in diet should be accompanied by a drop of activity. It's hard to do though, since fitness is the only bright part of the whole "journey'.

cmlloyd Guest
    That just sounds to me like a new name on an old thing.
    Calorie shifting or re-feeding. Just with a different name.
    So same dance - different song.
    geesh.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread4221-4.html

It is a type of a refeed. Where anabolic diet and Ultimate diet 2.0 do a weekly frequency with about 20 to 30% spend in refeed, where the Lean gains is a micro-refeed schedule with daily frequency with about 40% of time spent in refeed, Potato is a long term refeed with more of a monthly type of frequency.

And, where it is actually efficient, potato hack is a long fast with crash-diet like caloric input rather than a refeed, closer to an Atkins fat fast or a Master Cleanse than to a carb cycling/refeed. Refeeds maintain a smaller caloric defs (~ 30% under maintenance as they alternate feast and fast).

Sabine is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    You just described the missing element in PB. A quick way to get back to where you should be.
    Perhaps it is missing for good reason. We may LIKE a quick way of reversing damage done to our bodies, but is it possible, and if so, is it GOOD for us. These are questions we should ask, rather than just looking for a 'quick fix'. Do the work, people. (And I say this as someone who has had a hard time doing it. It is not necessarily easy.)

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast