Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone read a life changing book lately? page 3

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzyorange View Post
    I liked The Fountainhead but had a hard time getting into Atlas Shrugged. My gripe is that, for a stoic infinitely-capable guy, John Galt is remarkably verbose! You would picture him as a man who appreciated brevity. But when Galt finally shows up, he blabs for pages and pages. He could've said what he wanted to say in a paragraph.
    LOVED "The Fountainhead"! Ayn Rand views the world in such a 'real' way. Roark - what a hero. Definitely a life changing book. Changed how I view architecture anyway

I'm currently reading "A Million Little Pieces" which is the autobiography of a guy who goes into rehab for alcohol and drug abuse. I wanted to understand the nature of addiction better. Can't say if it's life changing or not, but considering he survived and wrote the book I'm assuming there is an inspiring happy ending

Quote Originally Posted by Ljphalen View Post
    Spanish Fly, written by Will Ferguson. A novel about con men in the American Southwest during the Great Depression, this book has given me back the feeling I had as a child, that the world is full of trap doors and tricks and, if not magic, then mystery.
    That sounds great - adding it to the list

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Not life-changing, but I just read Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why. It was really interesting and kind of Primal in a way. I can imagine that Mark's new book coming out will have some similar themes in it.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    I'm totally rereading Isaac Asimov's "favorite fifteen" in chronological order. The mind boggling deepness this guy gets into in his books suddenly makes SENSE when you link his various series together and see how they all interconnect. Asimov has an amazing ability to anticipate issues we might face in the future of humanity and has created an entire interconnected universe to investigate these issues and examine the philosophical responses that are most appropriate and how humans might best tackle these issues in the face of constantly evolving cultural norms.

Here's his stated order of reading: http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/lin...-to-foundation

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    I'm totally rereading Isaac Asimov's "favorite fifteen" in chronological order. The mind boggling deepness this guy gets into in his books suddenly makes SENSE when you link his various series together and see how they all interconnect. Asimov has an amazing ability to anticipate issues we might face in the future of humanity and has created an entire interconnected universe to investigate these issues and examine the philosophical responses that are most appropriate and how humans might best tackle these issues in the face of constantly evolving cultural norms.

Here's his stated order of reading: Cool Science Fiction
    All great
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

dizzyorange is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Knight View Post
    Real Time Relationships by Stefan Molyneux. Book is freaking amazing and I am working on it now. Also in the process of reading The Six Pillars of Self-Esteem by Nathaniel Brandon. Excellent, excellent read.
    I listened to Six Pillars read by the author over the past two nights. Felt like I got a lot out of it. I was surprised by how openly he talked about his affair and fallout with Ayn Rand. I could definitely see where his philosophy intersected and and where it diverged from objectivism. I found an audio recording of the other book you mentioned, going to check that out too. Thanks for the suggestions.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmlloyd View Post
    it is very inspirational - it's a heartbreaking story = bitter sweet.
    It brought out my honesty and is what lead me to go back to school to do what I want to do. Help make peoples life better.
    Respiratory Therapy / Phlebotomist & I will dabble in forensic pathology before its all over I would love to assist in an autopsy. The human body is amazing I'm not quite there yet but I will be.
    I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but I had to say- good for you!! I have a special needs/disabled daughter, and her therapists completely changed our life trajectories for the thousand-times-better. I actually get teary-eyed sometimes when I think of what our lives could have been like without them... Omg, what suffering that would have been. So, you go and help others!!!

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmercer View Post
    All great
    Yes, yes it is. And reading them in order is giving me an even GREATER appreciation for them this time around.

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    I just finished reading "Turning Pro" by Steven Pressfield.
    Great book, with lots of good insights.
    I just started reading "The Happiness Trap" by Russ Harris.
    Interesting, so far.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    the happy hooker by xaviera hollander was a revelation

my life.. profoundly changed
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    the happy hooker by xaviera hollander was a revelation

my life.. profoundly changed
    Lol!
    Awesome.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast