Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone read a life changing book lately? page 2

Ljphalen is offline Member
    Spanish Fly, written by Will Ferguson. A novel about con men in the American Southwest during the Great Depression, this book has given me back the feeling I had as a child, that the world is full of trap doors and tricks and, if not magic, then mystery.

cmlloyd Guest
    The Last Lecture - Randy Pausch
    You can watch a small portion of the last lecture on you tube, but the book is better.

dizzyorange is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmlloyd View Post
    The Last Lecture - Randy Pausch
    You can watch a small portion of the last lecture on you tube, but the book is better.
    hey I actually found the full video of the lecture floating around and it was quite inspirational - glad I watched it.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    Sorry, I can't, just can't read non fiction.

Right now I'm 120 pages into Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. I got it after reading somewhere on this forum that reading the novel has been a life changing experience for them.

Unfortunately so far I can't really get into it. It's a huge volume, so maybe it will grow on me, eventually.
    Absolutely one of my all time favorite books. I've probably read it once every five to 10 years since 1972. There is one odd little roadblock - an 80something page speech which isn't easy to get through, but which defines a lot of her philosphy. I also love The Fountainhead and it's a much easier read with many of the same principles and good strong characters.

Haven't read anything life changing lately. Someone silly gifted me with about 10 or more magazine subscriptions last xmas, and I'm bombarded monthly with those. Fortunately I've been seeing a lot of "this is your last issue," recently.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

dizzyorange is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    Sorry, I can't, just can't read non fiction.

Right now I'm 120 pages into Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. I got it after reading somewhere on this forum that reading the novel has been a life changing experience for them.

Unfortunately so far I can't really get into it. It's a huge volume, so maybe it will grow on me, eventually.
    I liked The Fountainhead but had a hard time getting into Atlas Shrugged. My gripe is that, for a stoic infinitely-capable guy, John Galt is remarkably verbose! You would picture him as a man who appreciated brevity. But when Galt finally shows up, he blabs for pages and pages. He could've said what he wanted to say in a paragraph.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzyorange View Post
    Mine was Awareness - Anthony de Mello. And of course PB not long ago.

Getting that feeling now of wanting to curl up with a good book...
    nah - nothing of late.......althou many years ago I read centennial by James A Mitchener....... and DH and I are coming to America in May....and he said would you like to go and see the Platte? river that the book centennial was based around............ well you can imagine my excitement - so I am going to read it again ( I was only 11 when I read it the first time )
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

brighthorse is offline Senior Member
    God, No! by Penn Jillette

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brighthorse View Post
    God, No! by Penn Jillette
    I want to meet the bacon eating Jew.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

cmlloyd Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzyorange View Post
    hey I actually found the full video of the lecture floating around and it was quite inspirational - glad I watched it.
    it is very inspirational - it's a heartbreaking story = bitter sweet.
    It brought out my honesty and is what lead me to go back to school to do what I want to do. Help make peoples life better.
    Respiratory Therapy / Phlebotomist & I will dabble in forensic pathology before its all over I would love to assist in an autopsy. The human body is amazing I'm not quite there yet but I will be.

B. Knight is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Real Time Relationships by Stefan Molyneux. Book is freaking amazing and I am working on it now. Also in the process of reading The Six Pillars of Self-Esteem by Nathaniel Brandon. Excellent, excellent read.
    "You don't have forever to change yourself."
    Stefan Molyneux
    Freedomain Radio

"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
    Mark Twain

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast