Thread: Olympic Weightlifting Program for Older Beginners page

mark2741 is offline Member

Olympic Weightlifting Program for Older Beginners

Primal Fuel
    I've been using doing Starting Strength the last couple of months and it's been great, but I'm starting to really bore of it. I find that the lifts I enjoy most are the ones where I'm focused on technique as much as strength - power cleans, deadlifts, etc. So I'm thinking about moving a more varied olympic lifting routine. I looked around online and didn't really find any programs for true beginners aside from young high school athletes, etc.

Any thoughts/recommendations?

I have a little bit of experience from my crossfit days with the lifts, but the focus there was always on intensity/speed and not form (and I wasn't man enough to swallow my pride and focus on form to start, which is why I never got stronger and eventually quit). I'd like to get started on the right foot with some of the more technical lifts I haven't tried in months and was never good when I did them during crossfit WODs, like snatches, jerks, etc.

Found this video and it's quite good:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&f...&v=tJclHiC_HbU

Any other recommendations for free learning materials?

MikeD is offline Junior Member
    Free...about the best you can get is YouTube. Now if you do some homework and find a true strength training facility, not a health club, close to you, call and ask about Olympic style training and if there are any groups that train there. Hands on coaching from someone who knows what they are doing will trump everything else. Best case scenario would be that you found a place to train with like minded individuals who could help. Otherwise just keep watching YouTube. There's a book from human kinetics about Olympic lifting. It comes with a DVD.

mark2741 is offline Member
    Thanks.

Yeah, that's what I was coming to the conclusion of. I'm thinking about forking out the cash for some personal training sessions with the owner of the local crossfit affiliate. She is an excellent trainer. At $60 an hour though it can be pricey as I think it'll probably take at least two hours to get the basic lifts.

I'm committed to my local globo-gym through most of this year contractually, so signing up somewhere else is not an option. While they have a spacious weightlifting room, it's mostly machines and full of fat guys doing bicep curls with dumbbells. : ) I've been doing back squats and deadlifts in there, and then moving to a corner they have setup for a bastardized "Xfit" class for doing the power cleans, because they have some bumper plates there. It's not ideal for oly lifting but I make do and the atmosphere is nice, as far as globo-gyms go.

I think with some personal training I can make some progress. My biggest problem is my lack of mobility/flexibility. So a PT would be able to provide some targeted movements to help with that.

MikeD is offline Junior Member
    Unless this particular individual (this goes for male or female) has competed successfully in Olympic lifting competitions (it doesn't mean they had to go to the Olympics) I'd take what they say with a grain of salt. You need someone who HAS done it and can program successfully. I trained at a place just outside of New Orleans (where I'm from) and there happened to be a team that trains and competes in Olympic style lifting. I saw them do countless sets of front squats, good mornings, overhead presses, high pulls, back squats and an insane amount of heavy an work in addition to clean and jerks and snatches. I never saw them do any vanity exercises (curls, tricep work, chest work of any sort), never saw them use anything to help their grip except for chalk and they were all strong with their Olympic lifts. They all competed as well. That's the kind of atmosphere I would look for. Before the birth of my son, I'd drive 70 miles to Baton Rouge to bench with some elite level powerlifters. If you want something, you'll find a way. I'm currently stuck at globo gym until March. By the end of February, my shed will be equipped for me to do all of my training at home. Chalk, dropping loaded barbells, loud ass metal music. I'm making what I need. Budget, save and Find a way.

tribuzzp is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Agree with MikeD - the crossfit trainer may have some info and has gone through a certification, but depending on their experience, what you learn could be crap or great. Highly recommend Greg Everett's Olympic Weightlifting book(s). Also, be able to dump weight, and to do so, you'll need bumpers and a lifting platform. Doesn't sound like your globo has that. Check out Gregg's site (and forum) if you want at Olympic Weightlifting: Catalyst Athletics (WFS)