Thread: Can I use IF to compensate for some bad carb consumption? (Holiday woes) page

jaczor is offline Member

Can I use IF to compensate for some bad carb consumption? (Holiday woes)

I'm currently on a weightloss journey, I came to my home country (Venezuela) to spend the holidays with my family. Like most latin cultures, a lot of our traditional food and dishes revolve around bad carbs, lots of corn flour based dishes. So I've been struggling to maintain my paleo diet, although I still think I'm within the 80/20 rule.

I try to stick to paleo food, but sometimes when I go out to a restaurant or at family gatherings, I indulge and eat some of the "bad" (yet delicious), non paleo foods. This also includes alcohol, I try to stick to red wine, but sometimes I have a few beers. No sweet drinks or desserts though.

The thing is that on most days I skip a meal, usually breakfast if I had a big dinner the day before or dinner if I had a big lunch, I do it because I'm just not hungry, so it's not deliberate IF, more like natural IF. Could this make up for the extra calories and the effects over insulin from the bad carbs I eat ocasionally?

Now, it's not all bad news, all of the meat consumed in my country is grass fed, I also have access to yucca/casava which is a great way to quench the thirst for carbs and the local produce is all organic, plus I have my mom to make me homemade food which is awesome, hahaha.

jaczor is offline Member
    Anyone? *bump*

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Maybe. Depends on how your body processes the food and the composition of it. If you are eating mostly carbs, fasting is probably not going to help much (if you're a fat burner).

Another option would be enjoy the holiday and home-cooked meals for now, and get back to your usual worries/meals when you leave .
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Another option would be enjoy the holiday and home-cooked meals for now, and get back to your usual worries/meals when you leave .
    This.

Chill, enjoy the holidays, don't let perfect get in the way of good, get home and eat clean again, are you gonna care in 6 months what you ate at xmas, doubt it
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

jaczor is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks for the advice guys, that's basically what I've been doing, keeping it as clean as possible whenever I can but not stressing over it.