Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Is there an animal or animal part you wouldn't eat? page 5

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    They are talking about getting 'mad cow disease". You can't get that from an animal that was healthy however.
    Actually, not true. Like humans, cows can carry BSE for a while before showing symptoms (and there are related diseases found in sheep and deer). That's why all neurological tissue from those animals is prohibited from being sold for human and now also for animal consumption in Canada. The risk is lower in animals under three years of age, but it's still not a chance I feel like taking. I can get the nutrients one might get from brains from other sources instead, and I would far rather do that. YMMV.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

keithpowers is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Actually, not true. Like humans, cows can carry BSE for a while before showing symptoms (and there are related diseases found in sheep and deer). That's why all neurological tissue from those animals is prohibited from being sold for human and now also for animal consumption in Canada. The risk is lower in animals under three years of age, but it's still not a chance I feel like taking. I can get the nutrients one might get from brains from other sources instead, and I would far rather do that. YMMV.
    This is because the supplements of cattle being fed CAFO-style contained brain matter from OTHER cattle that was ground and mixed into the corn-based feeds. Grass-fed cattle should NOT have this problem.
    Peak weight on Standard American Diet: 316.8 lbs
    Initial Weight When Starting Primal: 275 lbs
    Current weight: 210.8 lbs
    Goal weight: 220 lbs (or less): MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

The way "ChooseMyPlate.gov" should have looked:
    ChooseMyPlate

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    You can remove the membrane before cooking, but not easily.
    Right. It comes off easily when cooked but is a royal PITA to remove raw. Besides it helps keep the juices in while cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by keithpowers View Post
    This is because the supplements of cattle being fed CAFO-style contained brain matter from OTHER cattle that was ground and mixed into the corn-based feeds. Grass-fed cattle should NOT have this problem.
    This. And brains are incredibly yummy.

fresa is offline Member
    I won't lie, I'll try everything once. However, I would be more inclined to try something because I am in a location where that is local cuisine. If it is eating something just to say I did on a dare or something , I'm much more hesitant. I lean towards the "eating animals out of necessity" side of the spectrum rather than making it into a game. I love how different cultures use and treat eating different animals and animal parts, so I will definitely try anything in that type of situation. I know it sounds weird but for some reason context makes a difference to me. I don't really know why.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Thank you naiadknight and Paleobird. There are a few things I want to try in the near future: tongue, beef heart, and pig liver (which I've heard is even milder than chicken liver). I'm having slightly ooky feelings about peeling off a membrane after cooking, but I'll get over it because I can generally talk myself in or out of anything.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Thank you naiadknight and Paleobird. There are a few things I want to try in the near future: tongue, beef heart, and pig liver (which I've heard is even milder than chicken liver). I'm having slightly ooky feelings about peeling off a membrane after cooking, but I'll get over it because I can generally talk myself in or out of anything.
    I just fixed heart the other day. Fixed it like a roast. Tongue I havent fixed for a long time, but use to fix it like a roast. I don't recall peeling the whole thing, but slicing our portions on our plate, and then just peeling it off. Kind of like you have to do to summer sausage.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

B. Knight is offline Senior Member
    I really like raw Oysters, but if I eat more than 2 the texture makes me want to puke, so it's a trade-off.

I've had grain raised beef liver and that shit is AWFUL. So I don't eat that. Haven't tried Grassfed, yet.
    "You don't have forever to change yourself."
    Stefan Molyneux
    Freedomain Radio

"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
    Mark Twain

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    No. I'll eat pretty much anything. Doubt I'd digest the white part of the bone and intestines and some other parts are hard to make hygienic, but, bar that, nothing on an animal I'd avoid.

The fiance, however, is appalled by blood (he has reasons), disgusted by liver and confused by most other offal. He likes kidneys and inner-body muscles like diaphragm. He'll eat marrow if it leaks from the bone, but I'm yet to persuade him to dive for it. Hey-ho, he'll either come round or eat a LOT of the offal he does like, when under my care. ;p
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Heart is easy as sin. Chop it into large bite size chunks and marinade it in a garlic balsamic olive oil mix. Add some veggies and skewer it all up. Grill until the heart is just this side of squishy (medium) and the veggies are charred. Serve with a balsamic- olive oil reduction on the side (Read: reserve the marinade, throw it in a pan, and cook until thickened.)
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    The recipes I'm looking at for tongue are Jewish, because that's the tongue I remember so fondly - from the Jewish delis in NY. Of course I can no longer eat it sliced thin on rye, but I think over potatoes with a mustard sauce will give me the flavor I remember without the bread.

naiadknight and gopintos, those both sound fairly simple and do-able. Thank you!
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast