Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Is there an animal or animal part you wouldn't eat? page 4

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraSB View Post
    I've had pig testicles - thought it was like a mini veal cutlet. If I could get them pre-pounded (ouch!) I'd probably even cook them. I feel no enthusiasm for any sort of offal. Maybe in time I will feel differently? I will never eat brains. Aside from the ick factor, I am scared of prions, lol.
    I'm with you on the brains. VCJD is scary stuff.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Enilegna/hearts is offline Senior Member
    What are prions?

I wouldn't eat brains I guess. Just thinking about it reminds me of that scene in American Psycho. Although that was some great acting.

And tongue. At least the ones I've seen from the cows look scaly. Gross.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    Speaking of animal species that are off limits to me.......cats. Hell no. Not even in the direst of straits.
    Yes, no cats. It would be like eating my children. For the longest time, I couldn't even cook rabbit, because it looked like cat parts to me. Rabbit's not my favorite now, too stringy, but I can handle cooking it at least.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    I would not eat cats... or dogs... or really, most carnivores . I also would not eat eyeballs. Because that's gross.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I guess I never really thought about eating primates because I think of them (especially apes) as part of our tribe, so to speak. Growing up, Jane Goodall was one of my heroes, and later reading about Lucy, Washoe, and Koko, etc., that idea was reenforced. So, I can add primates to my list. (Note: when Washoe was retired, she taught ASL to her baby - it still floors me to this day.)

Eating brains always makes me think of the X-Files Chaco Chicken episode. But my dad ate them, and there was usually a package of calf brains in the freezer. Of course that could explain why he was nuttier than the proverbial fruit cake. But I think if they were being given away, I'd pick one up and google a way to prepare it - mostly just to know that I tried it.

Also, thank you Paleobird. Back atcha.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Enilegna/hearts View Post
    What are prions?
    I wouldn't eat brains I guess. Just thinking about it reminds me of that scene in American Psycho. Although that was some great acting.
    And tongue. At least the ones I've seen from the cows look scaly. Gross.
    They are talking about getting 'mad cow disease". You can't get that from an animal that was healthy however.

Tongue is good if you do it in the slow cooker until you can "peel" the part with the taste buds off. I don't like having my dinner lick me back.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enilegna/hearts View Post
    I didnt see that one, but I saw the 2nd (or 3rd) Silence of the Lambs (but that wasnt the name of it) with Ray Liotta being served his own brains. Now that was some sick stuff.

I didnt read everyone's, so I am sure there are things in there that I would not like. I would probably try most things though. Maybe. Though I have yet to go to our Annual Testicle Festival, but I would try them. There are many things that I never dreamed people would fix, so I am sure there is something I wouldnt eat. I don't like the idea of eating potentially poisonous things if prepared wrong.
    Last edited by gopintos; 12-28-2012 at 06:20 AM.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Tongue is good if you do it in the slow cooker until you can "peel" the part with the taste buds off. I don't like having my dinner lick me back.
    That's a Gary Larson cartoon right there.

I remember being able to get it sliced on sandwiches in delicatessens when I was a kid. Never thought a thing about it. Then at about 14 or so, I saw a whole prepared tongue in a deli case and freaked out because, well, it looked like a tongue. Perfect example of the dissociative relationship we have with food sometimes. I got over it.

Paleobird, do you know if that membrane can be removed prior to cooking?
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    That's a Gary Larson cartoon right there.

I remember being able to get it sliced on sandwiches in delicatessens when I was a kid. Never thought a thing about it. Then at about 14 or so, I saw a whole prepared tongue in a deli case and freaked out because, well, it looked like a tongue. Perfect example of the dissociative relationship we have with food sometimes. I got over it.

Paleobird, do you know if that membrane can be removed prior to cooking?
    You can remove the membrane before cooking, but not easily.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

johnmjoy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Huh. I had some veal brains - poached then sauteed in butter and duck fat (quite good actually) - awhile back, and I'm fine. So far. I think.

Then again, I guess vCJD has a long incubation period, so maybe the prions are still doing their thing. If my posts start getting strange (more so than usual), then stop altogether, you'll know why.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast