Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: The obesity asylum page 5

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Him View Post
    Yawn. If you wanted to discuss what starvation does to morbidly obese individuals you could've skipped the concentration camp shtick. You didn't really need a "thought experiment" to explore physiological or psychological outcomes. You only need your "thought experiment" if you are leading to a "why not?" type question.

Here's how thought experiment are used:

Imagine you have a rail road track with a switch that can divert trains onto two sets of rails. The switch is positioned to have the train roll onto track A. You can pull a lever and an oncoming train will instead roll onto track B. On track A there is a car with 5 people in it, stuck, and you cannot get them out. On track B there is one person. A train is approaching the switch right now. If you do nothing, 5 people will die. If you throw the switch, only one person dies. What do you do? What?

If you answer ”do nothing": You inhuman scum. Are you really going to let five people die? How could you possibly justify that. Are you a psychopath? Do you torture small animals too? What would you tell the families of those five people? You are sick.

If you answer "flip the switch": today we are in exactly that situation with organ transplants. Five people will die, today, for lack of suitable transplant organs. We could save those five lives by identifying a suitable donor, killing them, and taking their organs to save those lives. You agree this killing would be justified because you said you would kill one to save five in the train track thought experiment. Killing one to save five is obviously the right thing to do. Work with us to change the laws to allow common medical need to triumph over obsolete concepts of individualism. Together we can make a difference.

That's how you do thought experiments.

Wow....now Gorbags doesn't seem so bad

I must not be using thought experiments at all.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I thought it was done already and is widely popular. IIRC it is called the Biggest Looser.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

phigment is offline Senior Member
    wouldn't this be like the concentration camps the nazi used. i don't think it worked out to well for them.

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phigment View Post
    wouldn't this be like the concentration camps the nazi used. i don't think it worked out to well for them.
    this.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Wow, so you hate fat people so much that you could actually consider putting them in concentration camps and not even see what you are saying?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

primalcat is offline Junior Member
    Do none of you understand thought experiments?

You're hung up on the armed guards, etc. But that is purely to illustrate a tightly controlled scenario. Just as Schrödinger's Cat is not a blueprint for a real experiment that results in the death of a cat, OP's thought experiment is not a proposal for actually detaining obese people in an asylum.

C'mon now.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    And let's face it, while it is socially unacceptable to make race jokes, jokes about the disabled, and even some ethnic jokes, making fun of fat people is AOK by society's standard's. Everyone needs a scapegoat to feel better about themselves.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    You would scar them mentally for life. It's been done before, just not with fat people.

Minnesota Starvation Experiment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    uhm... WOW... i have come to realize and accept that my parents ( mom specifically ) kept me in near starvation, but i never realized how much of my symptoms come from just that alone ignoring all the physical abuse
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I would accept it as a thought experiment, if next to the obesity camp, one erects the camp with the same security measures for all the underweight people out there, all those hard-gainers who daily struggle to gain weight and just keep losing, who will get force-fed until they reach the average weight for their average height, and they will continue to be force-fed to maintain it.

This way, the entire population will attain the average weight and there will be no extremes.

For convenience, everyone who has achieved the perfect weight for their height will be dressed in a brown wrap and tights of a standard issue. I would also recommend veils for both genders. They will be released, but must weigh in monthly. If the weight drops or climbs as much as 5 lbs, they should be readmitted into a hungry or feeding camps....

Won't that make for a happy, healthy scenario?
    Last edited by Leida; 12-27-2012 at 10:44 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Well, both you and bloodorchid and others are misunderstanding something here! This is a thought-experiment to see the practical consequence of doing what I outlined in my OP. This is what I am primarily interested in, less about the meta-ethical aspect whether it is morally right or not to carry out such an experiment. This is to discuss “AS IF”, - what would the practical results be by doing such a project?

If you like, we could also assume that the candidates voluntarily consented to be isolated for one year in such a camp! So the question is; What would happen to the candidates throughout the year, and what would the final result be for the 100 persons that started out as morbidly obese when leaving the camp? I am not interested what would happen after they have left either, just the finishing result!

And it is not meant as any disrespect for obese people whatsoever, just to make this clear once and for all...

my n=1 wont work.

here is why i assume that.

truly fat people have something working against them. Having been the guy to follow you concept without armed gaurd using will alone i know i went from 300 to 506 with no real food intake. ask anyone who was close to me during that time and you will hear about an anguished bitter and angry human would routinely physically abused himself rather than eat just so his body would get the message that its behavior was inexcusable.

Turns out the truly obese MUST eat thier way out of the problem not starve it... most of what they carry isnt food. the assumption is incorrect.

cremate them; measure the chemicals released. I suspect you will find that most of the energy released isnt lipid based.
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast