Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The obesity asylum page 3

Paleobird Guest
    Shop Now
    Ya, Gorbag, this little "thought experiment" of yours does make you sound like a bit of a douche.

The joking around has been a gentle way of trying to tell you that. MuuMuu just made the point more eloquently.

BTW, way to go MuuMuu. 195 pounds is jaw dropping-ly impressive. The only other person around here I know of in that league would be Quelsen the Honey Badger.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    hi muumuu

this thread started out with me saying '.....what?'

and has ended with sadness

gorbag, here is my opinion, put succinctly; it's a bad idea.

you cannot round up a group of people and lock them in a cage, guarded by men with guns. it's a Bad Thing.

history will tell you it's a Bad Thing

any action that begins with a declaration of 'it's for your own good' is generally a Bad Thing
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Hey MuuMuu, thanks for speaking up. I admire your courage, and your progress is amazing.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MuuMuu View Post
    I think your idea is completely over-simplifying, crass, mocking, dehumanizing and marginalizing.
    Well, both you and bloodorchid and others are misunderstanding something here! This is a thought-experiment to see the practical consequence of doing what I outlined in my OP. This is what I am primarily interested in, less about the meta-ethical aspect whether it is morally right or not to carry out such an experiment. This is to discuss “AS IF”, - what would the practical results be by doing such a project?

If you like, we could also assume that the candidates voluntarily consented to be isolated for one year in such a camp! So the question is; What would happen to the candidates throughout the year, and what would the final result be for the 100 persons that started out as morbidly obese when leaving the camp? I am not interested what would happen after they have left either, just the finishing result!

And it is not meant as any disrespect for obese people whatsoever, just to make this clear once and for all...

Substitute "gay" or "black" or "disabled" in your thought experiment and you might understand why it's offensive.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

or jewish or japanese
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Or Roma, Ukrainian, Doukhobor...

Owly's Journal

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    What if we took some musclebound young men, locked them away for a year with no mirrors, no weights, no egg whites, no oil or razors, and left them with enough food to sustain them but no entertainment except great works of literature. Do you think they'd develop some compassion and/or empathy?
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Or Roma, Ukrainian, Doukhobor...
    now you're just trying to impress me

it's working
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Substitute "gay" or "black" or "disabled" in your thought experiment and you might understand why it's offensive.
    Completely irrelevant!

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast