Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The obesity asylum page 10

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Fat camps exist, though probably not with a primal slant in terms of nutrition. People sign themselves up to get fixed for all kinds of things. I'm sure some of the fixes are perfectly valid, for some people. I don't think people would survive on such a drastic reduction in calories (assuming they were eating significantly more beforehand), or that amount of food. I imagine people would die well before losing "enough" weight (to be deemed medically healthy by most physicians).
    Hi namelesswonder, and welcome to this now infamous thread!

Why do you think they will die by such a drastic reduction in food, when obese persons have waterfasted for one whole year without any food at all?

The human body can, if necessary release around 1% of stored bodyfat per day. So an obese person that carries 300 lbs. of stored bodyfat may get 3 lbs. or around 10.000 calories per day from stored bodyfat - if necessary! A person with only 10 lbs. of stored bodyfat will only release around 0.1 lbs. or 45 gram of stored bodyfat or 400 calories. In the last case, I suppose, there may be a real danger of starvation on a low calorie diet and especially if physical activities are involved! So, what physiological reasons would make a person with more than sufficient bodyfat starve to death then? Why do you think so? Maybe some can get sick or even die of stress or fear of not getting enough food, that’s a possibility, but inside the camp we have a very professional staff to make them feel secure and occupied with everything they want – just no other food than in the prescribed 500 – 700 calorie diet, that gives them at least 100 gram of protein, essential fatty acids, enough fibers and also a multivitamin pill just in case…

And to everybody that still doesn’t know what a thought-experiment is, GO HERE:

Thought experiment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and here:

Thought Experiments (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

dizzyorange is offline Senior Member
    What happens to obese criminals who are incarcerated in real prisons? From this link it appears prison food is portion controlled and not all you can eat: Prison food - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

I would imagine most obese people lose weight in jail?

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    Although the premise is quite different, to me it is reminiscent of a novel I read a while back.The Long Walk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Does that mean that Mr. King is a deranged, sadistic child molester and murderer? I think not.
    Have you watched some of the crappy reality tv that's being offered to us here lately? Based on that, I can actually see a so called "reality" show - "Obesity Asylum" in the works.
    I read that story and it convinced me that Mr. King has a sick imagination. It is one of those that has haunted me for years, not sure why but I found it very disturbing. I have quit reading Mr. King and I am fairly certain that was the reason why though an old bf reading bits of "It" to me late at night may have contributed.
    You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Him
    Him is offline Senior Member
    thought experiments are generally created in order to:

* challenge the prevailing status quo (which includes activities such as correcting misinformation (or misapprehension), identify flaws in the argument(s) presented, to preserve (for the long-term) objectively established fact, and to refute specific assertions that some particular thing is permissible, forbidden, known, believed, possible, or necessary);
    * extrapolate beyond (or interpolate within) the boundaries of already established fact;
    * predict and forecast the (otherwise) indefinite and unknowable future;
    * explain the past;
    * the retrodiction, postdiction and hindcasting of the (otherwise) indefinite and unknowable past;
    * facilitate decision making, choice and strategy selection;
    * solve problems, and generate ideas;
    * move current (often insoluble) problems into another, more helpful and more productive problem space (e.g., see functional fixedness);
    * attribute causation, preventability, blame and responsibility for specific outcomes;
    * assess culpability and compensatory damages in social and legal contexts;
    * ensure the repeat of past success; or
    * examine the extent to which past events might have occurred differently.
    * ensure the (future) avoidance of past failures.
    From one of your links.

So what was yours for?

As for the quoted list, I think those are predominantly subcases of my general explanation of the use of thought experiments. A lawyer doesn't propose a thought experiment to produce a random result, she frames her "experiment" to produce a result favorable to her strategic aims. Same with a scientists, though the strategic aims of scientists should be much broader.

dizzyorange is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by valmason01 View Post
    I read that story and it convinced me that Mr. King has a sick imagination. It is one of those that has haunted me for years, not sure why but I found it very disturbing. I have quit reading Mr. King and I am fairly certain that was the reason why though an old bf reading bits of "It" to me late at night may have contributed.
    The Long Walk is one of my favorite stories of all time. I don't think it's that disturbing really... maybe a little haunting. If you haven't read it do so! It's on my list of must-read literature.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I read the abstract of the man who fasted for over a year. It was not a water-only fast. He was also given vitamins.

What if we put a bunch if skinny guys in your asylum and force them to eat 6000 calories a day. Would they all become uniformly fat? Would they all gain as much weight as the math would predict? What would happen after you stopped the force feeding? Would they maintain? Lose weight? Go back to the quantity they ate before or eat more than they used to? Would it make any difference if you force fed some of them on meat and fat and others on donuts and pizza?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    What if we put a bunch if skinny guys in your asylum and force them to eat 6000 calories a day.
    You're spending too much time on the Starting Strength forums.

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    Funny how the same story can effect each person differently. I have always found his stories disturbing on a psychological level, he seems to find the darkest parts of humanity and bring them out.
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzyorange View Post
    The Long Walk is one of my favorite stories of all time. I don't think it's that disturbing really... maybe a little haunting. If you haven't read it do so! It's on my list of must-read literature.
    You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

I read the abstract of the man who fasted for over a year. It was not a water-only fast. He was also given vitamins.
    Oh, that must be relevant, how much calories are there in vitamins then??

What if we put a bunch if skinny guys in your asylum and force them to eat 6000 calories a day. Would they all become uniformly fat? Would they all gain as much weight as the math would predict? What would happen after you stopped the force feeding? Would they maintain? Lose weight? Go back to the quantity they ate before or eat more than they used to? Would it make any difference if you force fed some of them on meat and fat and others on donuts and pizza?
    You are free to make your own thread about it if you find it interesting, so far you have only showed your excessive ignorance…

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzyorange View Post
    What happens to obese criminals who are incarcerated in real prisons? From this link it appears prison food is portion controlled and not all you can eat: Prison food - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

I would imagine most obese people lose weight in jail?
    I guess so! Your reference is somehow relevant, but have they tried out a very low calorie diet on those obese convicts?

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast