Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking like a caveman, is it even possible?

Hybrid View

Thinking like a caveman, is it even possible?

Something i was thinking about, and posted in the Pros and cons thread but wanted to see what others here think.

First i will say that im not trying to bash paleo so no need to get offended.

Is it possible to even think like our ancestors? And is trying to do so actually detrimental to our health and well being? Heres an example. Eating a paleo diet means restriction, something a paleo man would never have done. We (you) restrict certain food groups which are deemed unhealthy but were not actually around when paleo man lived. We restrict calories in the form of fasting because paleo man would have had times were food was unavailable. But paleo man would have never fasted, had food been available.

So paleo man never had to think of these foods to avoid and never had to restrict himself from something he wanted. Exact opposite actually, his very drive to live centered around finding any and all foods to eat.

What is the stress from knowingly restricting ourselves on a daily basis doing to us in the long term? And if what i said is true, then how in anyway would it be considered paleo?

Im sure there are other instances but thats the main one i had in mind. Any others that you guys can think of, and thoughts?

Paleobird Guest
    I'm eating what I like and want. How is that restrictive or stressful?

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I'm eating what I like and want. How is that restrictive or stressful?
    I wasnt talking to you then.

Do you really, honestly not crave a grain, sugar or fruit product? I find it hard to believe someone would always choose a piece of meat, fat or veg over a bagel, brownie or watermelon.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    I wasnt talking to you then.

Do you really, honestly not crave a grain, sugar or fruit product? I find it hard to believe someone would always choose a piece of meat, fat or veg over a bagel, brownie or watermelon.
    Really, honestly, no. They hold no appeal for me. My body is very efficiently metabolizing fats so that is what it craves. If you are still a sugar burner, of course you will crave those things. It takes quite a while of sustained ketosis for the cravings to disappear completely but they do. I never had much of a sweet tooth to begin with so this is a natural diet for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    It takes quite a while of sustained ketosis for the cravings to disappear completely but they do.
    This is likely his point to begin with. We're talking about food here, not an addiction to drugs.
    nihil

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    This is likely his point to begin with. We're talking about food here, not an addiction to drugs.
    For some people sugar is a drug. I never had that problem but I am not going to discount their experience.

Do you really, honestly not crave a grain
    No. Never.

sugar or fruit product?
    Why is fruit unhealthy? Fruit is awesome. Eat lots of it. Sugar isn't unhealthy, either. Only in chronic caloric excess - but that can be said about any food. If you are not deficient in nutrients and not eating a caloric surplus, pure sugar cannot be harmful. It is simply in your best interest to eat high-satiety, nutrient-dense foods (like fruit) as a sugar source rather than low-satiety, nutrient-poor calories (like refined sugar). Similarly, replacing real food with oils can be detrimental as well to your health as you're adding hundreds or thousands of nutrient-poor calories in your diet and displacing real, nutritious foods with them. A nice-sized white potato or a huge mango weighing in at 120 calories is going to beat a tablespoon of olive oil every time.

Im talking about this precieved notion that restricting food groups and calories is somehow mimicking our paleo ancestors when at least mentally it is anything but.
    Our paleo ancestors didn't have grocery stores and sit on their butts all day in an office chair. They stalked and chased their prey for miles, and sometimes came up with nothing after expending hundreds or thousands of calories for a useless hunt. You can also bet your butt that Grok would have picked apples off a tree or dug potatoes out of the ground and eaten them preferentially over animal fat and protein - digging a tuber or picking an apple poses no hazard, while hunting an animal is dangerous and a ton of work. We probably burn carbohydrate over fat preferentially because we sourced carbohydrate over fat preferentially due to ease and safety of consumption. That's probably why there are way more high carb traditional societies than high fat traditional societies.

Calorie restriction is extremely important because you have the ability to eat whatever you want whenever you want with little to no effort. It was in Grok's best interest to gorge on every meal because he never knew when the next meal was coming. It's in your best interest to be mindful of portion control because weight loss and gain is entirely calorie-driven.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 12-27-2012 at 11:23 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

I don't understand what you're asking at all. What do you mean think like a caveman? See food, eat, see more food, eat. Cavemen weren't exactly blessed with abundant food and they'd undoubtedly gorge on everything in sight and be happy to have the endless sources of food. Caveman thinking would make Grok 500 pounds.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    I don't understand what you're asking at all. What do you mean think like a caveman? See food, eat, see more food, eat. Cavemen weren't exactly blessed with abundant food and they'd undoubtedly gorge on everything in sight and be happy to have the endless sources of food. Caveman thinking would make Grok 500 pounds.
    Im talking about this precieved notion that restricting food groups and calories is somehow mimicking our paleo ancestors when at least mentally it is anything but.

And no, eating whatever you want, whenever you want wont automatically balloon you up to 500lbs. If you could truly eat like our bodies intended, it would autoregulate hunger and use/dispose of calories. Thats my poit exactly. Does the stres from knowingly not listening to your body cause more harm then just eating what you want, when you want?

And no, eating whatever you want, whenever you want wont automatically balloon you up to 500lbs. If you could truly eat like our bodies intended, it would autoregulate hunger and use/dispose of calories. Thats my poit exactly. Does the stres from knowingly not listening to your body cause more harm then just eating what you want, when you want?
    what my body wants and what i want is carbs. no matter what the form those carbs take, when i indulge and eat rice and potatoes and fruit as much as i want my pcos rears it's ugly head, uglily

what is your suggestion for me?
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
    lol