Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking like a caveman, is it even possible? page

Zach is offline Banned

Thinking like a caveman, is it even possible?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Something i was thinking about, and posted in the Pros and cons thread but wanted to see what others here think.

First i will say that im not trying to bash paleo so no need to get offended.

Is it possible to even think like our ancestors? And is trying to do so actually detrimental to our health and well being? Heres an example. Eating a paleo diet means restriction, something a paleo man would never have done. We (you) restrict certain food groups which are deemed unhealthy but were not actually around when paleo man lived. We restrict calories in the form of fasting because paleo man would have had times were food was unavailable. But paleo man would have never fasted, had food been available.

So paleo man never had to think of these foods to avoid and never had to restrict himself from something he wanted. Exact opposite actually, his very drive to live centered around finding any and all foods to eat.

What is the stress from knowingly restricting ourselves on a daily basis doing to us in the long term? And if what i said is true, then how in anyway would it be considered paleo?

Im sure there are other instances but thats the main one i had in mind. Any others that you guys can think of, and thoughts?

Paleobird Guest
    I'm eating what I like and want. How is that restrictive or stressful?

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I don't understand what you're asking at all. What do you mean think like a caveman? See food, eat, see more food, eat. Cavemen weren't exactly blessed with abundant food and they'd undoubtedly gorge on everything in sight and be happy to have the endless sources of food. Caveman thinking would make Grok 500 pounds.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I'm eating what I like and want. How is that restrictive or stressful?
    I wasnt talking to you then.

Do you really, honestly not crave a grain, sugar or fruit product? I find it hard to believe someone would always choose a piece of meat, fat or veg over a bagel, brownie or watermelon.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    I don't understand what you're asking at all. What do you mean think like a caveman? See food, eat, see more food, eat. Cavemen weren't exactly blessed with abundant food and they'd undoubtedly gorge on everything in sight and be happy to have the endless sources of food. Caveman thinking would make Grok 500 pounds.
    Im talking about this precieved notion that restricting food groups and calories is somehow mimicking our paleo ancestors when at least mentally it is anything but.

And no, eating whatever you want, whenever you want wont automatically balloon you up to 500lbs. If you could truly eat like our bodies intended, it would autoregulate hunger and use/dispose of calories. Thats my poit exactly. Does the stres from knowingly not listening to your body cause more harm then just eating what you want, when you want?

VacillateWildly is offline Senior Member
    I don't consume whatever is available, I make choices which work well for me. If I wanted to inject heroin today or snort coke, I could, it is available. A caveman might have wanted it too if it was around. I also choose not to break into my neighbours and steal their new Christmas presents or to ramraid the bottle shop. It's just a choice as to what is available. Today I will eat leftover turkey and not my hsuband's birthday cake. Grok had chocies too.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    I wasnt talking to you then.

Do you really, honestly not crave a grain, sugar or fruit product? I find it hard to believe someone would always choose a piece of meat, fat or veg over a bagel, brownie or watermelon.
    Really, honestly, no. They hold no appeal for me. My body is very efficiently metabolizing fats so that is what it craves. If you are still a sugar burner, of course you will crave those things. It takes quite a while of sustained ketosis for the cravings to disappear completely but they do. I never had much of a sweet tooth to begin with so this is a natural diet for me.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    It takes quite a while of sustained ketosis for the cravings to disappear completely but they do.
    This is likely his point to begin with. We're talking about food here, not an addiction to drugs.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    I think part of this idea of restriction, is viewing items which are not really food, as food options. Just because we CAN put something in our mouths, enjoy it, and get SOME nutrition from it, does not mean it is a proper food source for humans. When I walk through the bakery section at my grocery store, I try to view it the same way I would the soap aisle: 'This stuff is just not something for putting in a human's mouth.'

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    This is likely his point to begin with. We're talking about food here, not an addiction to drugs.
    For some people sugar is a drug. I never had that problem but I am not going to discount their experience.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast