Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking like a caveman, is it even possible? page 8

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    No biggy, i am interested in the sugar feeding cancer theory as well. Doubt there is any real evidence either way because then we would have a cure for cancer of sorts.
    Not a cure but definitely treatments aimed at depriving cancer of its primary fuel. There are clinical trials of that sort going on right now in fact. Will be interesting to see the data, but it's looking promising.

But, to the subject at hand there are obvious psychosomatic effects of living in the modern world. That is actually the reason why we need to work to reduce stressors where we can. Mental/emotional, physical, and chemical. Trauma or dysfunctional joints are stressful. Bad diet with toxins is stressful. Swing shifts or patterns that don't mach up with our circadian rhythms are stressful. You can deal with these stresses directly by addressing your toxic diet, switching to day shift, or balancing your musculoskeletal system.....or you can take the approach that treats the effect rather than the cause, i.e. take some prescription meds, self medicate with booze or drugs, or yes even pound down some refined sugar.

The way I understand it is that we all have a limit to the cumulative amount of stressors we can endure before we become ill, diseased, or start exhibiting symptoms. That doesn't mean you can't handle a bit of stress (even in this instance you can say "the dose makes the poison"). Allostatic load is the concept that chronic stressors reduce our capacity to deal with new stress. So obviously keeping your allostatic load as low as possible is a healthy endeavor.

Allostatic load - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    So...what if a caveman lived in a part of the world where fruit was the most abundant food supply?
    Guess there'd be some fat cavemen running around.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by counterpuncher View Post
    So...what if a caveman lived in a part of the world where fruit was the most abundant food supply?
    My periods of lowest body weight have always included high levels of fruit consumption. For some people, fruit may be problematic, but I've never had an issue with eating several servings of fruit daily (even through the winter--currently it's mostly bananas, mandarin oranges, and pomegranates, at least one of each per day).

I see a huge difference between eating fruit and starchy vegetables and eating refined sugars. It's like the difference between eating avocados and fatty meats and consuming refined vegetable oils. I don't buy the notion that consuming loads of sugar (especially sugary drinks) is good for you, but I also think the fear of fruit is rather overblown.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Zach is offline Banned
    It would be the opposite. Diet that is comprised almost entirely of sugar would keep someone very lean. Just look at anyone eating 80-10-10.

Zach is offline Banned
    Neck, good post. I suppose my first question was a little short sided. There are probably both positive and negative effects of "thinking like a caveman". I would say that going out of your way to avoid something or getting sucked into irrational fears would just be adding to your chronic stress load even if the intentions were good. Other things like educating yourself on what is and isnt real food and how your body reacts to certain foods and macros would be a positive.

I agree completely that everyones goal should be reducing overall stress load and trying to improve their capacity to handle stress.

Also as to the cancer thought, trying to starve the cancer cell of its energy source would also be starving the body of its main energy source. It is an interesting concept though.

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    re: the cancer conversation, How Fasting Fights Cancer | Mark's Daily Apple

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Also as to the cancer thought, trying to starve the cancer cell of its energy source would also be starving the body of its main energy source. It is an interesting concept though.
    Of course there is the ketogenic diet approach outlined here:

Targeting insulin inhibition as a metabolic therap... [Nutrition. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

But what I was talking about was the targeting of insulin inhibition via therapy aimed at the specific cancer cells rather than dietary. I happen to know someone that is a participant in a trial for thymus cancer. It's showing promise as a treatment, but its still in the preliminary stages. Much like the ketogenic diet approaches are.

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    It would be the opposite. Diet that is comprised almost entirely of sugar would keep someone very lean. Just look at anyone eating 80-10-10.
    I know....
    I was trying to be sarcastic, but I guess it didn't come across as such.

Zach is offline Banned
    I know....
    I was trying to be sarcastic, but I guess it didn't come across as such.
    Hard to read sacrasm about sugar on this forum.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Skinny people get diabetes all the time. Living largely on fruit is a terrible idea, for very obvious reasons. We are not fruit monkeys. Just look at Durianrider. He's not going to live very long. Already wasting away quite rapidly.

80/10/10?! Durian-humping mango-chuckers, the lot of you! Don't make me sic Gallagher and his mallet on you!

Fruit might not be the devil, but there's no way it can compete with a diet of, say, whole prey animals.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast