Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 7 Days of Spuds...Post-Holidays Potato Reset Project page

otzi Guest

7 Days of Spuds...Post-Holidays Potato Reset Project

All in the name of science, over the last week, I ate pumpkin pie, chocolate truffles, chocolate-covered almonds, candied yams, sourdough bread, gluten-free breakfast cereals, fudge, and a few other treats. I also overate on ham, turkey, mashed-potatoes and dressing w/gravy. During this scientific experiment I exercised very little.

I went from 165lbs on 20 Dec to 175lbs today, 26 Dec.

Concerning CICO - there is no way I overate 35,000 calories, maybe 6,000 at most. Therefore most of the 10lbs I packed on were water and maybe even built a little muscle with the prolonged overfeeding, and a pound or two of fat.

Starting today, I will eat only boiled and chilled potatoes with a slice or two of raw potato a day. I plan on doing this until Jan 1st. A 7 day, pure potato run.

There will be no added fats, no tiny pieces of meat, no bone broth...just cold or raw potatoes seasoned with sea salt and pepper.

What I am curious to see is how fast the bloat goes away and where I end up after 7 days.

I plan on walking lots, doing a few pushups daily, and generally taking it easy.

Any other takers? I'm doing this now because I'm off from work for the next 7 days and our company just left. Maybe some others want to try after New Years.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    i get tempted but we dont have any nice maori potatoes ready yet. plus i need to get thru all the left over berries, smoked fish, shellfish, cheeses and liver pate from xmas. so i will be on more of a fat and berry week here. good luck tho and i will be interested to see how you go.

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    All in the name of science, over the last week, I ate pumpkin pie, chocolate truffles, chocolate-covered almonds, candied yams, sourdough bread, gluten-free breakfast cereals, fudge, and a few other treats. I also overate on ham, turkey, mashed-potatoes and dressing w/gravy. During this scientific experiment I exercised very little.

I'm impressed at your dedication to the scientific method!

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Well, I feel as though I was right there with ya partaking in the first half of the experiment. I gained 4.4lbs

I doubt I can last 7 days, but I will go it with you tomorrow, and then one day at a time
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Paleobird Guest
    It's just terrible how this board is dominated by carb fear and phobias and keeps hammering away at the high fat low carb dogma....

Have fun, Otzi.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Otzi, while my primary concentration is calories rather than macros, I had a similar experience once. Went out on my birthday for three days (chuckle) and ate all kinds of shellfish and beer and fried fish and tequila, etc. Came home and the scale showed a 10 pound increase. On the third morning back from that decadent little outing, my weight was back to where it was when I left.

My guess is that once we get away from our own cooking, we get a lot more carbs and in my case a whole boatload more salt than we're used to using, so we puff up. And water is heavy. You should see the loss pretty quickly. Good luck!
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    My guess is that once we get away from our own cooking, we get a lot more carbs and in my case a whole boatload more salt than we're used to using, so we puff up. And water is heavy. You should see the loss pretty quickly. Good luck!
    I know from experience that it would take me about 2 weeks to get back to where I was eating my normal, LC primal diet.

I want to see what a straight cold/raw potato diet will do. My guess is it will take about 3 days to get back to where I was and then end up close to 5 pounds lighter for the week. Not a bad way to start the new year.

Once I'm done with this little reset, I'm planning on adding in 1-2 small-medium potatoes a day, mostly cold, some raw, some cooked.

I just peeled and boiled about 30 golf ball - tennis ball sized potatoes which I will keep in ziplock baggies in the fridge until eaten. I just ate a couple I made last night. They are surprisingly tasty with a little salt, just munched like an apple. I don't think I will have any problems sticking to this for a week.

Ok, Day 1, Tator 1

Only pepper and sea salt. The pepper in the grinder is a mix of black, white, and reds.

It is tastier than I expected. Kind of like a dry tator salad. I didnt mean to eat so early, but DD is in the kitchen fixing homemade pancakes for the little ones that have accumulated here over Christmas vacation, and pancakes are one of my favs.... so I am trying to get full before the temptation and weak moment overtakes me. I have been up for about 3 or 4 hours already so I could easily be persuaded.

So.... about 316 grams of cold russet. It looks like a lot. I doubt I can finish it.

I was down .4 this morning on just my normal eating a 3 way split yesterday. I started out thinking of doing starch, but wanted meat. So then I thought I would do HF/LC, but then later wanted some rice, and then later wanted some fruit, so it turned into a normal eating day.

OK, so I am on board for today!

Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    So.... about 316 grams of cold russet. It looks like a lot. I doubt I can finish it.
    I finished it. No problem

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yeah, the mouth-drying, starchy factor is much less when the potatoes are cold. I can't join you for a couple of days yet, but good luck with it!

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast