Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: 7 Days of Spuds...Post-Holidays Potato Reset Project page 7

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    This morning, just out of curiosity, I peed on a stick and found that after 3 days of eating only potatoes I am in 'Large' ketosis range!

Here's what's going on. It's all in the new Perfect Health Diet book, too. The resistant starch from the cold potatoes is converted into short-chain fatty acids in the large intestine. I must have a flourishing population of beneficial gut bacteria and they are eating all the potatoes and giving me fat in return! Pretty cool, huh?
    This is fascinating to me. On the surface it makes no sense, but if gut bacteria play a critical role in nutrient utilization, I guess it does.

I had coffee w 2% milk first thing this morning and then 12 oz sweet potato around 11am. I was a little hungry off and on this afternoon, but mostly felt great. Just based on how I feel, I think my post-potato blood sugar stays nice and steady.

I bought some fermented dill pickles and had a little snack at 5pm. I'm thinking the brine will be great on mashed white potato for lunch tomorrow, instead of the ACV I've used before.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

EpicDreamer is offline Junior Member
    Today is my 4th day but I sabotaged myself yesterday...

Day 1 went well. I had about two pounds of baked potatoes with s&p and ACV. I drank water and green tea. I wasn't hungry or tired. Start weight 172
    Day 2 I added sauerkraut and changed from hot potatoes to cold potatoes and I are a warm sweet potato with cinnamon (yum!) my weight was 165!
    Day 3 this was not a great day. I was tired and having an emotionally rough day :-/
    I had cold tater with vin at about 9 am. By 11:30 I wanted to eat! So I ate another cold potato with kraut and raw pepper and onion.
    At 12:30-- hungry again and I ate a large cold sweet potato
    1:30 hungry again! I ate a cold potato with more kraut.
    5:00 my last meal: 2 warm waffle potato pancakes with about 2 oz ham
    Then at 9pm a large handful of Chocolate chips.

Day 4: This morning I weighed 167. I'm gonna IF till noon then try not to cheat!
    Last edited by EpicDreamer; 02-13-2013 at 07:27 AM.

otzi Guest
    Morning of Day 6. Started at 175 now at 166. Yesterday had 2 cold potatoes at 1130, 1 green banana at 2:30, 2 large potatoes thinly sliced and fried in a tsp or so of lard at 6pm.

otzi Guest
    Last morning. I'm at 165 today, a full 10lbs in 1 week. I think it was probably 60/40 water to fat, so probably lost 3-4 lbs of fat, which is what I would have predicted.

I feel great. Last night, I did 45 minutes on treadmill at 3mph and 10% grade, 60 pushups, and 20 pullups. This morning there is no soreness and getting ready to exercise again.

For the week, I ate exactly 20lbs of potatoes. I'm going to finish the bag today and eat real food for dinner. My first meal is going to be a snowshoe hare I caught in a snare on Sunday--roasted hare, including liver, kidneys, and heart w/potatoes and mushrooms.

My New Year's Resolution is to eat a Perfect Health Diet, with one pound of potatoes and one pound of meat per day along with tons of fruit and veggies. The macro-ratio should end up being very close to 30-20-50 (C-P-F). The line of reasoning behind this diet is that you keep the one pound of potato and one pound of meat a constant, and to lose weight or gain muscle, you manipulate the fat portion. I think it seems like a really good plan--read the book if you want to learn more.

Toward a Happy, PHD-in-the-Mainstream New Year | Perfect Health Diet

My second resolution is to stay off the forums as much as possible. The last 18 months have been great, I learned a lot from Mark Sisson and the whole cast of regular forum posters...did a lot of self-exploration and came up with a great strategy for the rest of my life.

Happy 2013!

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Last morning. I'm at 165 today, a full 10lbs in 1 week. I think it was probably 60/40 water to fat, so probably lost 3-4 lbs of fat, which is what I would have predicted.

I feel great. Last night, I did 45 minutes on treadmill at 3mph and 10% grade, 60 pushups, and 20 pullups. This morning there is no soreness and getting ready to exercise again.

For the week, I ate exactly 20lbs of potatoes. I'm going to finish the bag today and eat real food for dinner. My first meal is going to be a snowshoe hare I caught in a snare on Sunday--roasted hare, including liver, kidneys, and heart w/potatoes and mushrooms.

My New Year's Resolution is to eat a Perfect Health Diet, with one pound of potatoes and one pound of meat per day along with tons of fruit and veggies. The macro-ratio should end up being very close to 30-20-50 (C-P-F). The line of reasoning behind this diet is that you keep the one pound of potato and one pound of meat a constant, and to lose weight or gain muscle, you manipulate the fat portion. I think it seems like a really good plan--read the book if you want to learn more.

Toward a Happy, PHD-in-the-Mainstream New Year | Perfect Health Diet

My second resolution is to stay off the forums as much as possible. The last 18 months have been great, I learned a lot from Mark Sisson and the whole cast of regular forum posters...did a lot of self-exploration and came up with a great strategy for the rest of my life.

Happy 2013!
    All sounds great! I wish you much success, well except on the second part, as we want to keep seeing you around!! I am doing the PHD weight loss version, which dials the fat back to about 40%. I shoot for 30 so I end up in the middle, so basically I am about a 3 way split.

Thank you for all your have contributed to the forum. Stay in touch!
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    Let me second this. You have added a lot. A year ago I would have suggested that you hurl potatoes at your mail thieves. Now, the spuds have a proven higher calling. Thanks!

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
    Let me second this. You have added a lot. A year ago I would have suggested that you hurl potatoes at your mail thieves. Now, the spuds have a proven higher calling. Thanks!
    Thanks, I'll still come around some, but I have found I am spending too much time on the internet in general and want to try to wean off it a bit this year.

GoPintos - When you are reading through PHD do you get the feeling that 'safe starches' are really just 'potatoes'? Maybe certain ethnic groups know how to prepare cassava, plantains, and taro, but to me these are like really foreign and I would have no idea how to buy them, cook them etc... He considers rice a safe starch, but then has strict warnings about grain and even warnings about rice, like 'you must rinse fortified white rice to remove added niacin' WTH? I like rice, and plan to include it in my meal planning, especially cold, sushi rice, but a pound a day? I know in the Potato Diet threads, anyone who tried rice hated it. No satiety and poor nutrition. That pretty much leave potatoes (white and sweet) and on sweet potatoes, he treats them more like carrots and beets not wanting them to be the main safe starch.

So what's that leave? TATERS! TATORS! PA'Tatuhs! I have no problem eating a pound of potatoes a day. It's only 470 calories and 87g carbs. A baked potato at lunch (1/2 pound) and another potato dish for dinner. Sweet potatoes sometimes and rice once or twice a week. Easy peasy!

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
    Now, the spuds have a proven higher calling. Thanks!
    You need to run up to the valley and get you some Matanuska Thunder Spuds!

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, I'll still come around some, but I have found I am spending too much time on the internet in general and want to try to wean off it a bit this year.

GoPintos - When you are reading through PHD do you get the feeling that 'safe starches' are really just 'potatoes'? Maybe certain ethnic groups know how to prepare cassava, plantains, and taro, but to me these are like really foreign and I would have no idea how to buy them, cook them etc... He considers rice a safe starch, but then has strict warnings about grain and even warnings about rice, like 'you must rinse fortified white rice to remove added niacin' WTH? I like rice, and plan to include it in my meal planning, especially cold, sushi rice, but a pound a day? I know in the Potato Diet threads, anyone who tried rice hated it. No satiety and poor nutrition. That pretty much leave potatoes (white and sweet) and on sweet potatoes, he treats them more like carrots and beets not wanting them to be the main safe starch.

So what's that leave? TATERS! TATORS! PA'Tatuhs! I have no problem eating a pound of potatoes a day. It's only 470 calories and 87g carbs. A baked potato at lunch (1/2 pound) and another potato dish for dinner. Sweet potatoes sometimes and rice once or twice a week. Easy peasy!
    Yes to me, because I dont buy nor have tried the other things. Tators are so cheap and easy... (no wise cracks) ha On the rice, I like it at times, it's a nice addition but I agree in that it doesnt fill me up as much, well it does fill me up but just takes alot more, but it is a nice change and something the family likes, so that makes it nice also. It just makes it easy. No one even notices if all I have is rice or tators. Nor do they care.

Message me, or post, either here somewhere or on PHD when you get to the fasting part.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    You need to run up to the valley and get you some Matanuska Thunder Spuds!
    They will go well with my Matnuska Thunder half cow and half pig. My explorations this year will be more culinary, exploring sous vide cooking and easing into the world of charcuterie. I am awaiting my amazon order of gizmos for a DIY water heater/immersion circulator and temperature controller for a sausage fermentation and curing chamber.

Spuds will accompany!

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast