Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 7 Days of Spuds...Post-Holidays Potato Reset Project page 4

WJS
    WJS is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Green tea is fine. Sweet potatoes and rice are kind of iffy--some do OK, others not. Something to do with satiety I believe...

Here are the general guidelines:

1. Plan on eating mostly potatoes for 5-7 days (90%+ of calories)
    2. Eat between 2 and 4lbs of potatoes daily.
    3. Other foods allowed (but optional!): 1/2 cup sauerkraut, 1 cup bone broth, 1 tsp max daily coconut oil, olive oil, or butter,
    1-2oz lean meat daily. Unlimited coffee, tea, and water.
    4. Spices, salt, pepper, and vinegar OK.
    5. Lifting of Heavy Things discouraged, think ‘de-load week’ Lifting light things/walking OK.
    6. All normal supplements OK to continue
    7. IF’ing, especially by skipping breakfast encouraged.
    8. If you need to lose more weight, alternate the “Potato Reset” diet with healthy Primal Blueprint in 5-7 day increments.
    9. Not recommended for people who eat every 2-3 hours, have glucose issues, or have eating disorders.
    10. Highly recommended for people who have their hunger under control, have been eating PB style for 6 months or more, and are having trouble losing weight with the normal approaches.
    Thank you so much for posting this. I have been planning on doing this starting next week. I have been doing JUDDD (IF as you mention), would you recommend doing this on the potato hack, for example very low calories one day and more the next or eat the minimun of 2lbs of potato each day? I must say I am a binger so you comment in number 9 is a bit worrying for me.

Ouis is offline Member
    just to tell you WJS that potatoes have been the answer to my binge/hunger problem. Since I have done the PPD, I no longer have desires to binge, to eat sugar, or really to have much hunger. It is like something was reset. Over christmas, I wasn't eating taters, and the return of my sugar/eating monster was immediate. Potatoes really ARE like prozac for me! When I was eating HFLC I overate fat compulsively, but the taters seem to act as an appetite calmative for me. I will never stop eating them.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouis View Post
    just to tell you WJS that potatoes have been the answer to my binge/hunger problem. Since I have done the PPD, I no longer have desires to binge, to eat sugar, or really to have much hunger. It is like something was reset. Over christmas, I wasn't eating taters, and the return of my sugar/eating monster was immediate. Potatoes really ARE like prozac for me! When I was eating HFLC I overate fat compulsively, but the taters seem to act as an appetite calmative for me. I will never stop eating them.
    I found this to be the case too, and I was only eating potatoes breakfast and lunch with a modest primal dinner. All my compulsive food feelings were blunted, even the appeal of alcohol was reduced. It was very surprising to me.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by WJS View Post
    Thank you so much for posting this. I have been planning on doing this starting next week. I have been doing JUDDD (IF as you mention), would you recommend doing this on the potato hack, for example very low calories one day and more the next or eat the minimun of 2lbs of potato each day? I must say I am a binger so you comment in number 9 is a bit worrying for me.
    What is JUDDD? If it's atype of IF, that should be fine.

The deal with the potato diet, is that you should really be able to eat whatever, whenever you like and since there are so few calories and yet they are so filling, you shouldn't be able to eat much more than about 50-75% of your normal daily caloric intake.

I've only seen a handful of people who tried this say they were starved all the time or they over-ate, but it has been said. So, if you find it doesn't work, you can stop and go back to whatever you were doing before and no harm/no foul.

Ouis is offline Member
    WJS--I also do JUDDD (johnson's up day down day diet)--and I am the one who posted the Potato Hack over on LCF. On my up days, I eat potato for breakfast and lunch and then have a great dinner. Don't feel deprived in the least! As a matter of fact it has cured me of my Up Up and Away Days!

otzi Guest
    Morning of Day 4. Started at 175, today at 167. Most of this is water weight/bloat from a week of over-indulgence.

In 3 full days of the Potato reset, I've eaten 8lbs of boiled and cooled potatoes. Yesterday I added 1 slice of chopped onion, salt, pepper, and vinegar to a couple potatoes and made a very tasty potato salad. I also cheated with a small handful of almonds, and a small piece of leftover turkey, maybe 1/4 oz worth, just a little piece.

I have been skipping breakfast, eating a couple potatoes at lunch, then more at dinner around 5:30, then nothing til next day.

On this schedule, I find I am perfectly fine all morning and after lunch. I start getting a little edgy around 8pm, hence the almonds and turkey, but they didn't seem to make much difference.

Today's lunch will be cold potatoes, but for dinner I'm breaking out the waffle maker and doing up a batch of hashbrowns!

otzi Guest
    WJS--I also do JUDDD (johnson's up day down day diet)--and I am the one who posted the Potato Hack over on LCF. On my up days, I eat potato for breakfast and lunch and then have a great dinner. Don't feel deprived in the least! As a matter of fact it has cured me of my Up Up and Away Days!
    I started my dieting journey on Low Carb Friends! Haven't been back there in almost 2 years. Found Mark's Daily Apple through a link on LCF. How have they reacted to the Potato Reset?

Check this out...I tried a full-blown keto diet from 1 Nov - 15 Dec this year. I did it 'just because'. I wanted to experience keto and see what I've been missing. Anyway, I was so sore and miserable the whole time. My workouts were almost non-existant due to muscle soreness. I could not recover from lifting at all. I had carb flu, all that. My Ketostix showed I was in a state of 'trace to small' ketosis.

This morning, just out of curiosity, I peed on a stick and found that after 3 days of eating only potatoes I am in 'Large' ketosis range!

Here's what's going on. It's all in the new Perfect Health Diet book, too. The resistant starch from the cold potatoes is converted into short-chain fatty acids in the large intestine. I must have a flourishing population of beneficial gut bacteria and they are eating all the potatoes and giving me fat in return! Pretty cool, huh?

My workouts have been phenomenal. Yesterday I did 3 sets of 20 pullups, 6 sets of 25 pushups, 4 sets of 25 squats, walked 30 minutes on treadmill @ 3mph with 10% grade, and walked an additional 2 miles outside. This morning, no muscle soreness at all. I could do it all over again, but unfortunately have to work and I normally rest from lifting on weekends.

When on the VLC ketogenic diet, I could barely do 1 set of 10 pullups and then be so sore for 3-4 days I could do no more.

WillRunForChocolate is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WJS View Post
    I am a binger too, and so far so good. I have had no cravings. At times I WANT to eat something other than potatoes, but it has not been an overwhelming urge. It is quite a relief because I was binging around Christmas and this potato "reset" is getting me back on track.

It's is good to hear - very encouraging! Sugar and cr@p foods stir up my binge monster. Hoping the taters keep it away.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Morning of Day 4. Started at 175, today at 167. Most of this is water weight/bloat from a week of over-indulgence.

In 3 full days of the Potato reset, I've eaten 8lbs of boiled and cooled potatoes. Yesterday I added 1 slice of chopped onion, salt, pepper, and vinegar to a couple potatoes and made a very tasty potato salad. I also cheated with a small handful of almonds, and a small piece of leftover turkey, maybe 1/4 oz worth, just a little piece.

I have been skipping breakfast, eating a couple potatoes at lunch, then more at dinner around 5:30, then nothing til next day.

On this schedule, I find I am perfectly fine all morning and after lunch. I start getting a little edgy around 8pm, hence the almonds and turkey, but they didn't seem to make much difference.

Today's lunch will be cold potatoes, but for dinner I'm breaking out the waffle maker and doing up a batch of hashbrowns!
    Awesome progress! I am addicted to the hash brown potatoes. They are delicious!

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast