Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: 7 Days of Spuds...Post-Holidays Potato Reset Project page 15

otzi Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Gtp View Post
    Even though the potato diet wasn't effective for me, I would like to thank Otzi and all the regular posters for feeding these interesting threads, giving me things to try and think about. It was not a waste, it was interesting and informative.
    Thanks! It's been a learning experience for me, too. I was reading today in this thesis: http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/theses/ava...d/ALDfinal.pdf about the differences in starch types and importance of resistant starch. There is a statement in the paper about resistant starch being mis-classified and it should really be listed as a dietary fiber. If that were the case, everybody would be eating potatoes! We all got so scared of 'carbs' we lost sight of health. I think the sooner people start getting more good starch back in their diet, the further we will be toward an optimal diet.

I'd cut-n-paste the line, but the paper won't allow it! If anyone figures out how, let me know.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    I did 4 days of partial potato - 12oz of roasted sweet potato with garam masala for a late breakfast several hours after coffee with 2T heavy cream and then 12 oz of white potato with ACV, salt and pepper for a late lunch. Dinner was smallish and primal, though included a beer 2 days. I'm down 4 lbs in 4 days. The last of the holiday lbs are gone.

This "diet" is really great for me! I love potatoes. I can steam them en masse and then refrigerate in meal sized portions. They taste fine to me cold or reheated. My only issue is that after 5 days of 1.5 lbs of potatoes per day, my insides are really rumbly. I may try one potato meal per day and see what that's like.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Slinkykitty is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraSB View Post
    I did 4 days of partial potato - 12oz of roasted sweet potato with garam masala for a late breakfast several hours after coffee with 2T heavy cream and then 12 oz of white potato with ACV, salt and pepper for a late lunch. Dinner was smallish and primal, though included a beer 2 days. I'm down 4 lbs in 4 days. The last of the holiday lbs are gone.

This "diet" is really great for me! I love potatoes. I can steam them en masse and then refrigerate in meal sized portions. They taste fine to me cold or reheated. My only issue is that after 5 days of 1.5 lbs of potatoes per day, my insides are really rumbly. I may try one potato meal per day and see what that's like.
    Wow thats great loss . The rumbly tummy passed for me after a few days. Whether it has something to do with the gut bacteria getting used to the increase in starch I'm not sure.

One thing I am finding which is quite odd. In the past if I ate a bunch of carbs I would put on about 1.5 - 2.0kg overnight and be really bloated. It would then take 2 or 3 days to get back where I was. When I eat a bunch of carbs now, I put on less than 400g which is gone by the end of that same day. Not sure if its because glycogen stores are already topped up due to increased starch in the diet now or what is going on exactly.
    Time for a plate of chips and sauce LOL ( When I am feeling too lazy to cook I end up eating potatos, they are so easy to cook and so tasty )

SiberHusky is offline Junior Member
    Hello everyone,

I just joined the MDA forums so I could participate in this thread. I am currently on day 3 of the secret tater ďdietĒ and I have mixed feelings about it so far. I think my metabolism is ďbrokenĒ. Iím down to the last 20-25 pounds to meet my goal/ideal weight, and itís sooo freaking hard to lose anymoreÖ. I have been eating ďrelatively clean VLCĒ since October 2010 when I was rather fat (180 lbs) and unhealthy (Iím female 31, 5í2Ē very light frame, currently stuck between 125-117lbs). I dropped 60 pounds by June 2011 and thatís where Iíve been stuck since. I spent a whole year gaining and dropping the same 5 pounds. I knew that I tend to gain weight easily, but I didnít have an ďahaĒ moment until I did a BG tolerance test in my physiology class, after ingesting about 60 grams of regular coke carbs. My BG readings for 0, 3, 30, 60, 90 min were 77, 76, 140, 168, 128 respectively. Thatís when the time frame of the experiment ended, but it was enough for me to see that other classmates had their BG peak and drop Ėreturn to normal- much sooner than me. I know VLC tends to make one insulin resistant, so I donít know if that reaction there was because of being LC for long, or because I really am irreparably screwed up, and stuck eating LC for life. I can pretty much look at carbs right now and gain weight (>30g carbs/day = weight gain).

I know it says here the tater reset is not for people with metabolic issues, but Iím so tired of being stuck, I figured the worst that could happen would be another 5 or so pound gain. (It now takes me a couple months to lose 5 pounds with VLC eatingÖ totally frustrating). I weighed myself on the second morning of the tater reset and I was 121.6, and today on the 3rd day, I was 123.3 (I believe I started off on day 1 at around 122.8). Iím eating nothing but baked (mostly cold) taters with salt. Drinking waterÖhaving a bit of plain coffee today. Iím not too surprised with this morningís weight because last night I ate 5 taters in one sitting, and it was an awful experience (waited too long to eat so I went crazy by the time I could sit down and eat). 3 hours later, I had a nasty glucose crash.. bad enough I got weak and sweaty, so I just went to bed to avoid eating more.

I still have about 20 pounds of raw taters left, so I plan to finish that and see how I feel/look after. My caloric intake for the 2 complete days so far was around 900 cal total. I ate till I didnít feel hungry. Iím pretty sedentary so I donít have a huge caloric requirement. On LC I never counted calories, so this is new to me. My digestive system has so far been very rumbly and uncomfortable. I definitely feel bloated. I donít eat the tater skins. I donít know of any sensitivity to taters. They were a big part of my diet as a kid in the poor country I grew up in. Iím going to try smaller quantities of taters every few hours to avoid BG crash, and Iím totally jealous of those who drop even 1-2 pounds in the first days, since Iíve only gone up so far. Lol

Anyway, sorry for the long storyÖ Iím not ready to give up on the tater reset yet, even though my metabolism appears to be off (!?!?)..so I was wondering, are there any people here with known metabolic issues who have had some success with this reset? Some success is better than none. I love taters, and I'd love for this to work for me, even if it's just a few pounds before I resume LC.

macintosh is offline Junior Member
    This sounds great! I am going to give it a shot starting tomorrow.

I'm in my 20s, 5'3", and weigh 128 lbs.
    I lift and do cardio a few times a week.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SiberHusky View Post
    I love taters, and I'd love for this to work for me, even if it's just a few pounds before I resume LC.
    If it doesn't work out, I'd like to suggest keeping potatoes in your daily eating, especially cooked and cooled or even a few slices raw. You may be starving your good gut bacteria resulting in poor gut health. Potatoes can fit well in a LC plan, 1 med potato only has about 32g carbs, of which many are resistant starch that don't count against total carbs, like dietary fiber.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by macintosh View Post
    This sounds great! I am going to give it a shot starting tomorrow.

I'm in my 20s, 5'3", and weigh 128 lbs.
    I lift and do cardio a few times a week.
    Good luck...here's more reading if you need inspiration:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread72366.html (really good results, lots of people)
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread67137.html
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread67450.html
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread70009.html

SiberHusky is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    If it doesn't work out, I'd like to suggest keeping potatoes in your daily eating, especially cooked and cooled or even a few slices raw. You may be starving your good gut bacteria resulting in poor gut health. Potatoes can fit well in a LC plan, 1 med potato only has about 32g carbs, of which many are resistant starch that don't count against total carbs, like dietary fiber.
    Thank you for the input Otzi. I was thinking the same thing earlier...Instead of being VLC, enjoy some carbs here and there from taters since I really don't care for most "veggies". I love potatoes. To me they are a bit of a gateway food towards really bad carbs, but if I'm eating plenty of fat and decent protein, I think I'll be ok. I'm going crazy craving meat and fat at the moment, so I may have to resume my regular way of eating soon.

azger is offline Junior Member
    I did 4 days and then ran out of potatoes so stopped there. It was 7 pound lose in those 4 days. Since then I have been Paleo but have added in the 1 pound of potatoes a day, usually Ĺ pound for breakfast and Ĺ pound for dinner. And continue to lose, slower rate about 2 pounds in three days. So I can safely say that potatoes don’t hinder my weight loss at all. Now I’m going to read the PHD and more strictly follow that protocol and see what happens though I suspect I’m actually close to it now.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I'm doing a reset for the next 3 or 4 days. Today I was looking at my chart the last 7 days, and I lost 3.7lbs the first 3 days, was feeling pretty invincible, and then BAM! I gained 3.9 the last 4 days. So I guess it is Tator Time.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415