Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: 7 Days of Spuds...Post-Holidays Potato Reset Project page 14

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I know when I was trying to lose weight with PB, the first thing I'd cut was carbs, then fat.
    Yal see I cut carbs too (fruit, tators, legumes - I was already off the sugar & processed junk) but I waaaay increased fat. Both in terms of percentage and the actually grams. Result was my weight loss cut in half... until eventually it stopped. I was full though, and full on fairly low calories.

I only started to drop again when I changed macros to PHD suggestions for weight loss, and to include tators. Which was within a day or two of the tator thing coming up. Perfect Health Diet: Weight Loss Version | Perfect Health Diet
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    I read the Metabolic Typing diet by Wolcott and when I did the test it recommended similar ratios to what PHD is suggesting, which I'm happy with because it matches my preferences. I'm dialling back the fat a bit and increasing carbs mainly via potatos and bananas. I like Wolcott's book because it is one of the few that addresses individual variation and doesn't say 'everyone should eat like this'. LOL, I get this all the time from my dad who is slim and eats about half his calories in sugar and wine!

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jo View Post
    I read the Metabolic Typing diet by Wolcott and when I did the test it recommended similar ratios to what PHD is suggesting, which I'm happy with because it matches my preferences. I'm dialling back the fat a bit and increasing carbs mainly via potatos and bananas. I like Wolcott's book because it is one of the few that addresses individual variation and doesn't say 'everyone should eat like this'. LOL, I get this all the time from my dad who is slim and eats about half his calories in sugar and wine!
    I am working on dialing in the PHD ratios of starch/veg/meat, so far I am liking 1 pound of potato, 1 pound of fruit/veg, and 1 pound of meat as the baseline for my daily food intake. That equals about 1300-1500 calories, then I add things like almonds, dark chocolate, cheese, and coconut milk/oil or butter. I find it an extremely intuitive way to eat. If I wanted to lose weight, I'd just stick to the 3 lbs of basic foods and forgo the rest. If I really wanted to lose weight, I'd only eat the potato portion!

I am working on dialing in the PHD ratios of starch/veg/meat, so far I am liking 1 pound of potato, 1 pound of fruit/veg, and 1 pound of meat as the baseline for my daily food intake. That equals about 1300-1500 calories, then I add things like almonds, dark chocolate, cheese, and coconut milk/oil or butter. I find it an extremely intuitive way to eat. If I wanted to lose weight, I'd just stick to the 3 lbs of basic foods and forgo the rest. If I really wanted to lose weight, I'd only eat the potato portion!
    Right, and veggies are unlimited. Dont count the calories or the carbs. I dont usually run out of calories but if I feel like I am cutting it close but I am still hungry, I might just eat another romaine salad or some kind of veggie. I am still in the weight loss mode.

It's funny that I feel that way even about salads now. Before, and yes this is a down side of tracking, but I might even hesitate to eat more salad because I might already be at my carb limit for the day. I know it doesnt have much but if you eat 3 grams here, 5 grams there several times a day, it all adds up & you can still go over your limits, especially if you are following the curve and shooting for a particular range like ketosis.

So my mind is a bit freer now. Kind of weird to describe. I just know I will never be hungry because I can always just have more veggies or another salad. I know that is nothing new, but it is sort of a revelation for me because I spent probably half the year or more trying to stay vlc to lc

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    ... I just know I will never be hungry because I can always just have more veggies or another salad. I know that is nothing new, but it is sort of a revelation for me because I spent probably half the year or more trying to stay vlc to lc
    I think a lot of us are trying to stay LC/VLC for no real reason. Carbs are easy to count and easy to avoid, so it's kind of the low-hanging fruit, so to speak. I think the real shame, though, is even people on the higher end of low carb are still at 'zero-starch', getting all their carbs from sugary fruit and green veggies. It wasn't until I started adding in starchy carbs that I started doing much better...in weight loss, working out, and general feelings of health.

We were looking at Resistant Starch, and came up with some cool facts:

Most SAD people get 3-5g per day of RS.
    Most Paleo/Primal people get less than 1g per day RS.
    Ancestral peoples got nearly 50g per day RS.
    Eating 1 pound of potato per day, with half of it cooked and cooled, and a few slices of raw potato will provide 10-15g/day.

I think a lot of us are trying to stay LC/VLC for no real reason. Carbs are easy to count and easy to avoid, so it's kind of the low-hanging fruit, so to speak. I think the real shame, though, is even people on the higher end of low carb are still at 'zero-starch', getting all their carbs from sugary fruit and green veggies. It wasn't until I started adding in starchy carbs that I started doing much better...in weight loss, working out, and general feelings of health.

We were looking at Resistant Starch, and came up with some cool facts:

Most SAD people get 3-5g per day of RS.
    Most Paleo/Primal people get less than 1g per day RS.
    Ancestral peoples got nearly 50g per day RS.
    Eating 1 pound of potato per day, with half of it cooked and cooled, and a few slices of raw potato will provide 10-15g/day.
    oh I know. I was zero starch during that time. And even to eat another BAS might mean another 5 grams or more depending what was on it, and that might just be what would put you over the 50grams

Which sounds like no big deal but when the weight loss stopped, others are like well obviously you must be eating too much. Go lower carbs. Go lower calories. Go longer ... it will happen... And then there's the total calorie thing. Eating another 50 - 100 calories of veggies might just push you over the calorie limit.... uuggghh

Okay so anyways, it works for some I guess. So not bashing that either. There was just no medical reason for me to do it. Now, after Thanksgiving and after Christmas, I did find it helpful to do a couple days of HF/LC but then went back to my 3 way split after that, and even a few tator days or mostly tators.

Anyways, it's all good. Now I know what works for me. I just feel like I spun my wheels for over half a year trying to figure it out. ugggh. But this will be my year

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    oh I know. I was zero starch during that time. And even to eat another BAS might mean another 5 grams or more depending what was on it, and that might just be what would put you over the 50grams
    I know exactly what you are saying. When I first saw PHD recommending 1 pound of potato (or safe starches) a day, I was like, 'Oh, HAIL no'. Then after the 'Eat MOAR TATER' trials, I realized that it could be done...1 pound of potato is only about 500 calories, very easy to fit in your day. Considering that your gut bacteria eat up a portion of it, it only really gives you 3-400 calories and the added benefits of the resistant starch.

I'm glad I did the LC/VLC thing, but even happier I found out starch isn't the enemy and have been successful adding it back in as a daily staple and not just using it as a twice-a-year diet hack.

PureFunctionalFitness is offline Senior Member
    I am working on dialing in the PHD ratios of starch/veg/meat, so far I am liking 1 pound of potato, 1 pound of fruit/veg, and 1 pound of meat as the baseline for my daily food intake.
    Trying this myself now, SOOO easy, no need to care about calories or macro ratios, I just weight out a pound of spuds and sweet potato combined in the late morn, boil it up, eat half hot at lunch and half cold in the evening. 2 meals, 1/2 pound of meat for each, then load as many veg as I fancy. Butter and olive oil to suit, then perhaps 1 tbsp CO in the late morning.

Will report back in body comp changes, but hell I feel full of energy, fab!!

OneDeltaTenTango is online now Senior Member
    Potato update and data point.

Between 9 pm last Sunday and 6 pm yesterday (~ 4 days) all I ate was peeled russet potatoes either as hash browns or oven roasted fries, some cold, only spiced with salt, pepper, vinegar, Tabasco. I think I ate about 2.5 pounds per day at lunch and dinner (16/8 IF schedule).

I am male, 54 yo, with body fat estimated at 13-14%. My weight fell over this period from 160 pounds to 155 pounds.

I experienced some elevated hunger, but not unmanageable. exercise was limited due to a sore and swollen knee. I was surprised given thE volume of food input that there was not more output out the other end, though not constipated, just less frequent activity. I also am a too abundant consumer of nuts, cheese and red wine, all of which were cut and all of which are typically implicated in stalls.

I am Overall pleased and happy to be back on a less boring and tastier regimen. Still trying to limit wine, nut, and cheese consumption to shed another 3+- pounds.

OneDeltaTenTango,
    Over and out.

Dan_Gtp is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Jo, thanks for the welcome, and I look forward to following your future posts since we seem to be at a similar point of simple CICO not being the answer for some reason. I think I myself will return to more normal clean eating, similar to where this thread seems to be going, good whole, real food with potatoes mixed in. They can taste quite good, and are an impressive filler for the calories.

Even though the potato diet wasn't effective for me, I would like to thank Otzi and all the regular posters for feeding these interesting threads, giving me things to try and think about. It was not a waste, it was interesting and informative.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast