Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: 7 Days of Spuds...Post-Holidays Potato Reset Project page 13

azger is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I had success about a months before doing this lost 8 pounds in 5 days. Decided I would jump in and do it again to burn off the extra holiday pounds (gained 10!! I was very bad)
    So far day 3 and Iím 5 pounds down.

What I have been doing is 1 pound of potatoes 3 times a day, breakfast and dinner are usually in the form of hash browns and lunch is baked ďfryísĒ. I use no more than 1tsp of coconut oil for each spud. Mix of seasonings like cumin and chili powder or turmeric and paprika always salt and pepper, have used vinegar and small amount of ketchup but thatís not every day.

I have found that by mistake that I can get away with a lot more oil (1Tablespoon) per spud with no effect on my weightless. Also my wife is doing this with me, she did straight spuds day 1 then for days 2 and 3 she is had 1 egg in the morning and 2 eggs at night with her spuds and she has lost 3 pounds over the 3 days.

When I did this before I wasnít on Paleo at all I started from a bad diet place lost the 8 pounds and moved right into paleo with potatoes at two meals, probably more Perfect Health Diet, and didnít gain a pound and went right on losing the weight up until Christmas I was 2 pounds from goal. Oh well hope to be back there shortly.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by azger View Post
    I had success about a months before doing this lost 8 pounds in 5 days. Decided I would jump in and do it again to burn off the extra holiday pounds (gained 10!! I was very bad)
    So far day 3 and I’m 5 pounds down.

What I have been doing is 1 pound of potatoes 3 times a day, breakfast and dinner are usually in the form of hash browns and lunch is baked “fry’s”. I use no more than 1tsp of coconut oil for each spud. Mix of seasonings like cumin and chili powder or turmeric and paprika always salt and pepper, have used vinegar and small amount of ketchup but that’s not every day.

I have found that by mistake that I can get away with a lot more oil (1Tablespoon) per spud with no effect on my weightless. Also my wife is doing this with me, she did straight spuds day 1 then for days 2 and 3 she is had 1 egg in the morning and 2 eggs at night with her spuds and she has lost 3 pounds over the 3 days.

When I did this before I wasn’t on Paleo at all I started from a bad diet place lost the 8 pounds and moved right into paleo with potatoes at two meals, probably more Perfect Health Diet, and didn’t gain a pound and went right on losing the weight up until Christmas I was 2 pounds from goal. Oh well hope to be back there shortly.
    That is an awesome story! I wish it worked so well for everyone.

If you are reading the Perfect Health Diet, cross out the words "Safe Starches" and replace with "Potatoes". Also, eat a large portion of your potatoes cooked and cooled with a raw slice here and there for more bang for your buck. I think rice should be eaten sparingly, but the rest of his safe starches are OK to eat, but hard to fix and prepare as many ways as the potato.

Dan_Gtp is offline Junior Member
    I've had mixed results with the Potato diet. I've followed along since late November, and have consumed many many kilograms of potatoes since.

My strategy was to keep my new love of steamed broccoli, and add in Potato's, daily. I am fairly used to IF'ing, so for my big meal I would steam 2 full crowns of broccoli and eat them with sprinkled sea salt (have weaned myself off of dipping them in melted butter, to cut calories), then I would have my baked/fake fried wedges with 1tbsp of coconut oil on the cooking sheet. At work I would bring 2 microwaved potatoes, prob about 400grams, and have them with ketchup (Organic Heinz if it matters). Rarely ever any other food, and did this 5-6 days a week. Saturdays was out with friends, restaurant meals, sometimes even treats/chips, but nothing ever insane.

This all did in fact result in a loss through the week, but slow, nowhere near the wonderful numbers many were posting. Problem is, that one day off, and boom 3-5lbs gained. There's no way I was eating even 3k calories on any Saturday, let alone 17,500. So all I was doing was fluctuating water weight. I did have a somewhat successful 2nd week, lost 4 lbs in the 5-6 days, reached a low of 149.6lbs, and a low of waist measurement. Haven't seen it since, and have been potato'ing a lot since.

As you can see I kept it up hoping it would work for me, upon more reading, supposedly all the extra fiber or protein from the broccoli could have interfered. Maybe the amount of salt I used on the broccoli and the potatoes screwed the potassium to sodium ratio, but it's all starting to feel like "magic". It CAN somehow work for some people, it has, I've read them, it just seems that we don't 100% know what's going on.

This week may be my last and it's my most strict. I'm a small guy, 5'3" and constantly hovering around 150lbs for about 8 months. This puts me at 80lbs lost since July of 2011, but I would really love this last 10-15lbs of fat to actually start going away. So being that size, my BMR is supposedly only about 1650calories. Mon and tues were long IF days and almost 1kg of bake fried potato wedges for dinner, no more broccoli. According to the bag, the 900grams of potato is 660cal, plus the oil. So WELL under my BMR. I'm seeing strong progress this week, but we'll see how I am after the weekend.

Apologies for such a long first post. Just been wanting to share my own experiences and frustrations. Hope others are having more luck than me!

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    Dan, that's a great first post - thanks for contributing. I think you've hit the nail on the head. We don't know the mechanism by which it works for some people, and therefore perhaps not for others. My top two theories are based on resistant starch and potassium (both of which are also contained in bananas). I'm also wondering if, for some, eating only potatoes has meant that they have been avoiding foods which have an inflammatory response.

It could also be noted that deliberate calorie restriction, vlc and paleo work for some and not others. Guess we are all different. Wish there was more clarity on this and less 'faith' and dogma.

Of course we probably need to bear in mind that you can be healthy even if you are overweight. Hard I know!

azger is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    That is an awesome story! I wish it worked so well for everyone.

If you are reading the Perfect Health Diet, cross out the words "Safe Starches" and replace with "Potatoes". Also, eat a large portion of your potatoes cooked and cooled with a raw slice here and there for more bang for your buck. I think rice should be eaten sparingly, but the rest of his safe starches are OK to eat, but hard to fix and prepare as many ways as the potato.

I'm currently reading it and it's what i'm going to do starting Sat after my 5 day run on just potatos.

And start day 4 down another 1.8 Pounds so almost 7 in 4 days.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Just poking in. Love reading everyone's experiences
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

otzi Guest
    Had some time to reflect on the people for whom the potato diet doesn't work. Initially, I was pretty confident that eating just about only potatoes for a time would result in weight loss for everyone. I have quite a few friends that have tried it and done really well, but they were all eating SAD prior.

Here, we have had probably 40-50 people try it on various threads and it seems like about 75% or better success rate.

The people who don't do well obviously have a problem with potatoes. We have made the connection that the potatoes contain a bit of resistant starch and that is part of the reason this works so well. If someone isn't prepared for a large influx of resistant starch, then maybe they would experience the exact opposite of the desired outcome, ie. bloating and weight gain

On SAD, there are quite a few sources of RS still in the diet: cooked and cooled pasta, baked goods, breakfast cereals, rice and potatoes. On Primal Blueprint, especially the LC variety, there is almost zero resistant starch.

I don't think it is speculation on my part that RS is a necessary component of a healthy diet. Just Google it! You will get hundreds of hits, all claiming superior health benefits--I've never seen anything to say it is harmful or benign.

So, if you tried the potato diet and failed, I'd suggest this: start getting some RS in your diet slowly. Eat potatoes and rice most days, even if it's just a little. Eat some potato salad or sushi w/cold rice. Eat a slice or two of raw potato regularly, eat very green bananas. If you are Low Carb, you can still do all these things, just keep the portion size to fit your schedule.

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for that Otzi. Another thing has occurred to me. There is a significant group of people who don't lose weight with calorie restriction, whether that is through willpower or some method of feeling satiated and lowering intake automatically. This suggests to me that excess intake of food is not the source of the problem. I myself don't lose weight no matter how low I go in calories, and I've had limited success low carb as well. The two times I successfully lost weight I was eating in excess of the recommended daily calories for my height/age. I do exercise as well. Clearly there is more going on here, and those of us in this situation have to keep on looking. I'm getting to the stage where I may have to accept the weight I am and focus on health. For this reason I am definitely adding resistent starch into my diet because I can see that this disappeared when I started going low carb. Banana's for breakfast and potatoes with one meal. Otherwise, just good food and no junk.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jo View Post
    ...There is a significant group of people who don't lose weight with calorie restriction...
    Perfect Health Diet - A diet for healing chronic disease, restoring youthful vitality, and achieving long life says that no one should go much below 1300 calories a day when trying to lose weight. They recommend, for weightloss, eating .5-1 pound each of starchy plants, fruit/veg combo, and meat. Their primary mechanism for weightloss is to keep these 3 things constant and reduce fat significantly to lose the most weight.

I know when I was trying to lose weight with PB, the first thing I'd cut was carbs, then fat.

PureFunctionalFitness is offline Senior Member
    Otzi - Where exactly are you now on your fat loss journey, close to target BF%? How have you found PHD in the respect of fat loss. I've had some pretty good success with lowcarb/ketogenic paleo/primal - I do like my cheese and double cream though. One thing that has caused me issues is binging when eating very low carb. I do feel satiated, but have been known to down almost a whole pack of cereal on an evening when the 'need' arose.

In the last few days, I have been eating two meals a day, one at lunch after an 18hr IF, meat and veg, and then a large evening meal with 12-16oz of white potato, mashed is how I like it, with more meat and veg, and butter/olive oil of course.

I feel so much more satisfied, cravings have diminished a lot, and weight is constant. I guess that I am probably eating o30 grms CHO per day though, but would guess that the cals will be lowish, around 1800 I reckon. Should still see some fat loss with those numbers and my exertion levels, how have you found it re fat loss?

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast