Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: 7 Days of Spuds...Post-Holidays Potato Reset Project page 12

otzi Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by WJS View Post
    By the way, I am using a lot of salt on the cold potatoes albeit the Himalayan pink salt but was wondering if this could be causing me not to lose weight? I hope that the PHD isn't mostly about losing water weight.
    I use quite a bit of salt, and vinegar. PHD not at all about losing water weight, if anything it is about maxing out your water weight with optimal carb intake and keeping it maxed out. That's the trouble with low carb eating, you deplete glycogen stores and have very little water weight, when you refeed you gain it fast!

WJS
    WJS is offline Junior Member
    Thank you Otzi for your help. Fingers crossed the weight will start dropping, it is about 7pm here on my sixth day and I don't think I've lost anything at all yet. At least not inches and size wise because I am exactly the same.

Slinkykitty is offline Member
    Hi WJS, I too did it for 2 weeks, potatos only with a bit of salt and dash of tomato sauce on chips from time to time. I lost 8lbs in that 2 week period.
    For 2 weeks just eat till full, I wouldnt worry about counting calories or having higher one day and lower the next, ( That could well be what is hindering your loss, though I'm not sure)
    All the best.

WJS
    Thank you Slinkykitty, perhaps you are right.

I was trying to get back into JUDDD properly with rotations so that the so called SIRT1 would be reactivated and make it much easier for me once I finish with potatoes and start eating normally on rotations to try to continue to lose more. But as you say perhaps this is why I am not losing.

Will just eat until I am full until I finish the PHD. I now feel I have wasted six days of eating just potatoes!

Happy Paleo Girl is offline Senior Member
    I'm late to the potato party, but after quite a bit of reading up on this over the weekend, I decided to jump on board yesterday. For the past month and change, I haven't been able to drop weight no matter what I eat (or don't eat). I've been super strict LCHF since just after Christmas, and the scale hasn't budged. So I decided to give potatoes a shot. After reading Otzi's post about resistant starch in my thread about white rice, I was even more intrigued, as I've got leaky gut and can use all the help I can get when it comes to increasing the good bacteria and keeping them happy. Another plus is that potatoes don't cause me any noticeable intestinal distress, unlike every other veggie right now.

Here are my stats:
    Height: 5'3 1/2"
    Starting weight: 124.4 (which is about 10 pounds up from where I should be)

Yesterday I ate nothing but potatoes, along w/some black coffee and green tea. I had boiled and chilled skinless red potatoes with coconut vinegar and S&P (delicious!). I baked up a bunch of russets and boiled some others (which ended up becoming mashed potatoes). I had some of the mashed potatoes with hot sauce as a small snack, then tried heating some up in the George Foreman (from the FTA blog) for dinner, which didn't work out well at all, but they were still tasty. Was still starving after that, so had one of the baked potatoes. 3 hours later, I was hungry again, and also craving something a little sweet (which hasn't happened in awhile), so I tried some mashed potatoes with cinnamon, garam masala and ground cardamom. It was disgusting and got dumped in the trash after a few bites. I was still too hungry to sleep and didn't want any more potatoes, so I ate pickled jalapenos until my tongue was burning, then went to bed.

So far I have been really cold, really hungry, tired all day, and feeling pretty brain dead for the most part (I've been misspelling things like crazy, which is very unlike me). Work today has been a challenge. I was going to go to Whole Foods during my lunch break for more coconut vinegar and potatoes, but napped in my car instead. I'm also up a half pound today.
    I don't think it makes sense to judge a dietary change after just a day and a half, so I'm still sticking it out and hoping that things improve. But so far being hungry all of the time is really annoying. I have been eating a LOT of potatoes. I'm trying to at least wait 3 hours between meals, which means ignoring my growling stomach for a little bit. I found white rice to be much more satiating, and even more neutral for my insides. I'm going to give it another couple of days before making a decision on whether or not to continue.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Paleo Girl View Post
    I'm late to the potato party, ... I'm going to give it another couple of days before making a decision on whether or not to continue.
    Don't beat yourself up if it doesn't work as advertised. Many have success, some don't. Try adding vinegar (apple cider or malt) to fried potatoes to make them really zingy and it also lowers the glycemic load somehow. The best success I had was when eating very plain, ie. S&P & Vinegar, mostly just boiled, no-oil fried, or boiled and cooled potatoes. As soon as I start adding other flavors it gets harder and harder. This is my favorite schedule: Skip breakfast, 1 big potato for lunch prepared however you like, 2 big potatoes for dinner, and a couple small, cold potatoes for a snack between dinner and bed.

Here's another option for you, and pretty much where I see Richard Nickoley headed...if you find you can handle the potatoes well, meaning they cause you no distress, water weight gain, or cravings, then just start eating potatoes along with your normal daily eating. For lunch--a plain potato and a salad, for dinner--oilless fried potatoes as a big side dish. Cut quite a bit back on protein and be mindful of eating too much fat. This also pretty much sums up the Perfect Health Diet and is how I have been eating for some time now. I'm finding much better appetite control, feelings of fullness, exercise recovery, and sleeping better.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Don't beat yourself up if it doesn't work as advertised. Many have success, some don't. Try adding vinegar (apple cider or malt) to fried potatoes to make them really zingy and it also lowers the glycemic load somehow. The best success I had was when eating very plain, ie. S&P & Vinegar, mostly just boiled, no-oil fried, or boiled and cooled potatoes. As soon as I start adding other flavors it gets harder and harder. This is my favorite schedule: Skip breakfast, 1 big potato for lunch prepared however you like, 2 big potatoes for dinner, and a couple small, cold potatoes for a snack between dinner and bed.

Here's another option for you, and pretty much where I see Richard Nickoley headed...if you find you can handle the potatoes well, meaning they cause you no distress, water weight gain, or cravings, then just start eating potatoes along with your normal daily eating. For lunch--a plain potato and a salad, for dinner--oilless fried potatoes as a big side dish. Cut quite a bit back on protein and be mindful of eating too much fat. This also pretty much sums up the Perfect Health Diet and is how I have been eating for some time now. I'm finding much better appetite control, feelings of fullness, exercise recovery, and sleeping better.

Good luck!
    Thanks for the tips and advice! I never would have thought vinegar and potatoes, but it's amazing how well they go together! The amount of potatoes that you recommended for 1 day would never be enough to hold me over. I used to be able to IF very easily, but I have been waking up absolutely famished for awhile now, even while doing VLC. Today I waited until it felt like my stomach was eating itself before I had my next meal, and I still ended up eating 8 potatoes (assuming I don't get hungry again before bed).
    I had 3 skinless medium sized reds made into hash browns on the George Foreman, then topped with ACV (I put it in a little spray bottle for easier application) and some salt, and it was the best potato preparation I think I've ever had. I actually felt satisfied after eating it. Although it's been about an hour now, and quite frankly, I could still go for more potato.

I'm not sure I can say that I'm not experiencing any water weight gain or cravings w/ potatoes. My weight is up slightly, and last night the leftover Christmas cookies were calling to me for the first time since the holiday. Although if I were to eat the potatoes with with some steak, I think I would be much more satisfied, which was what I experienced when having white rice with my protein. That was the path I was starting to head down before trying the all out potato hack. Whenever I'm done w/ all potatoes, I'll definitely be keeping some starch in my diet.

One strange thing I've noticed today, on top of the tiredness, coldness and extreme hunger, my mood has been wretched. I've been completely withdrawn and very annoyed by people.

Alright, I gave the potato hack 3 strict, solid days. After gaining 1/2 lb. the first day, my weight still hasn't budged, so it's time to move on. Oddly enough, yesterday I felt pretty good! I was able to IF for 17 hours, was less hungry over all (and so ate less), and wasn't as cold, tired or cranky. So I thought that maybe it was starting to work. Nope. That's ok, I was looking forward to getting back to eating other real foods anyway. After making hash browns from red potatoes on the George Foreman on Monday night, I decided to try it with a sweet potato last night. Holy cats, it was amazing! 1 large sweet potato yielded a LOT of grated potato. I tossed it with about 2 tsp. of melted coconut oil, and added in some salt, pepper, cinnamon and a dash of cayenne. It was amazing. I'll definitely be keeping starchy carbs in my diet going forward.
    I stumbled onto the Shangri-La Diet thread yesterday and thought, "This couldn't hurt to try". I've got a bottle of MCT oil (for when I was making bulletproof coffee pretty regularly), and it's completely odorless and tasteless. Perfect. So I'll take 1 tablespoon of it twice a day, in a 2 hour flavorless window and see how it goes. I'll report my experience in the SLD thread.

The potato hack may not have worked for me, but at least I got some great potato recipes out of it! And also learned about resistant starch. So no harm, no foul.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Paleo Girl View Post
    The potato hack may not have worked for me, but at least I got some great potato recipes out of it! And also learned about resistant starch. So no harm, no foul.
    Trying new stuff is what it's all about! I can't help but wonder how combining the SLD and Potato Diet would work...seems like a perfect match. Resistant starch, ketogenic levels of resistant starch, highly ketogenic coconut oil, appetite suppression...

WJS
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Didn't work for me either. Today is my 8th day of eating only cold white potaoes and the jeans I was wearing just a few days ago I cannot hardly zip up and are very tight. So I have definitly gained weight. Very disappointing to say the least.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast