Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Planning a New Year's Fast - Anyone Interested? page 6

richard is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I have the flu. Have been sick for 4 days now.

So today I am fasting all day. Ate last around 8PM Tuesday night. I plan to eat at 8AM Thursday, or maybe go longer. That's 30 hours.

I've found when you're sick, fasting is the best way to get well quickly. I don't get sick much but when I do, fasting takes care of it. I didn't fast much because of the holidays.

I've fasted as long as 4 days with water/tea/coffee only. I plan to do this fast with water/coffee/tea only also.

Glad you're here because it helps me boost my morale knowing you are fasting too! We humans are such social animals.

Facts about me:

early 50s age, male.

I weigh 175, am 6' 1" and wear pants for a 36 inch waist (sorry for you metric peeps)

I am very primal in my eating except lately I acquired a white chocolate habit that isn't good. I smoke a cigar now and then but don't drink or smoke otherwise, and don't take any medication. Primal to me means no grains, no beans/lentils/peanuts, and limited dairy (some raw milk cheese and a bit of sour cream now and then).
    Last edited by richard; 01-02-2013 at 07:00 AM.

froggie is offline Member
    As much as I got hungry in the car yesterday, I woke up today not even feeling hungry. I was in shock!

All I had yesterday was half an egg (hard boiled), and a spoonful of CO in my tea last night. Then just water with lemon and salt. This AM just tea and I felt very aware of all my sense. Kinda weird. I never felt the "lifting fog" others have described when going primal, but I think IF might give me that extra clarity!!

It's almost 11EST, 35 hours strong!
    I have a few snacks with me in case I don't feel right... but I think I'm going to hold off until tonight and eat some liver, with cauliflower, lots of butter, and some other veggies like bell peppers, onions & mushroom.

Seems like thinking about food isn't as hurtful on the mind as it was yesterday...

By the way Sabine, I took a super hot bath with epsom salt and ginger last night, it was great. Woke up feeling invigorated.
    I don't feel like working out though today.

How is everyone else doing?

Cheers!

Adopted the Primal lifestyle on: August 9 2012.
    My sporadic journal entries are here.

Results to date: I've lost (gained?) one belt hole!

ez2cy is offline Senior Member
    Wow! Just wow!!!!

Just came back from my walk. -6 C, wind chill feels like -9C. Did 52 minutes in just shorts, shoes, gloves and hat. Will post of pic of what an "idiot" looks like.

Whole body is beat red!!!!!!!!
    55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
    Chest; 41.5
    Waist; 42
    Hips; 40
    Thigh; 22.5
    Calf; 15
    Bicep: 13
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
    Chest; 42
    Waist; 42.5
    Hips; 39
    Thigh; 23
    Calf; 15
    Bicep: 13
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 16

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Hello to everyone joining in: Froggie, Brookesam, GForce, and Richard.

The way I found the different fasting threads was to do a search with the term 'fasting' or 'fast'. Also, set your parameters to sort by stars/popularity. There is a three-part series on fasting that is very highly-rated, as I recall. Ditto for the blog, for Mark's series on fasting. Hmm, should probably go back and do this myself. Maybe tomorrow, when I don't have so much to do(packing away decorations today).

Froggy, I found I was naturally doing IF a couple times per week after being primal for several months. That is what gave me the confidence to feel I could 'handle' a fast. And once per week I eat just one meal(my sashimi feast), and have found that I even enjoy waiting, something that never would have occurred to me as being possible back in my SAD days.

Brookesam, does your diabetes make fasting a particular challenge? I know nothing of how it impacts, or is impacted by, Type 1.

Ez2cy, I am doing CT also, but not as hard-core as you! Brrr!

Good luck, Richard. I hope that flu gets knocked on its ass.

My progress:

I started at midnight on the 1st, and did a good job with my fluids, consuming a little over a gallon combined of water, electrolyte-water, and tea. Got in some walking, a cold bath, and dry-skin brushing. Missed out on my massage and detox bath, as there were ISSUES. Said issues caused some stress, but I managed to keep a lid on it, and not eat. Since I am a big stress-eater, that is a victory. Sat with the family while they ate without feeling any need to do so myself.

I was cooking for my family, and the smells were tempting, but it was only MindHunger, not TrueHunger. This morning I am feeling a little like I could eat, but I just tell myself it is not going to happen, and the feeling goes away. Keeping up on the drinking, cold bath, dry-skin brushing, and walking. Feeling good, really, just like normal, I would say. At 36 hours right now.

My plan is to do 2-4 days, and I like realizing that after bedtime tonight, I will have made it to my minimum with ease. Anything after that is a bonus. Although thoughts of slipping into Day 5 have entered my mind. I'm sure I'll feel differently on Day 4, though. Food is just so darned tasty!

Froggie, it IS interesting to wake up after not eating for a day, and still not feel hungry. It really makes me wonder about people who are sugar-burners, and literally NEED to eat every three to fours hours, or they'll feel like crap. What are mornings like for them? I am used to not eating until noon or so, on primal, but to find I still don't NEED to eat, after a day and two nights of no food, just makes me marvel at what our bodies can do when we treat them right.

L.Renee is offline Junior Member
    Yep Sabine, I agree - our bodies are amazing! And when you fast it seems to give this extra boost of confidence to believe in yourself a little more. At least that was the case for me. And for a person like myself who has had real issues with sugar addiction and emotional eating, going several days without food just goes to show that (1) I have more power than I give myself credit for, and (2) I don't need nearly all the food that I have been known to stuff myself with.

Fasting Day 2 and things are going well. I haven't been doing the sea salt, but I just squeezed a bag of fresh lemons and have " sugar-free lemonade" chilling in the fridge. That's my flavor treat and it comes in handy when I'm tempted to run out the door with my roomate's entire bag of Oreo cookies. Sad, but true. LOL Good luck to everyone - we can do this!

richard is offline Senior Member
    Thanks Sabine!

It's going well. Tonight I just had a cup of strong coffee. I drank tea and took about 30g of ascorbate during the day. I find graduating to coffee at night can help me stay strong and feel better. Coffee doesn't keep me awake. I roast my own although I drink it very rarely as I usually drink exceptionally high quality Chinese teas (gee I sound like such a snob, sorry about that!)

The fam is having a wonderful dinner of grassfed brisket with a ... well, never mind. I am going to miss out on it. I may eat tomorrow morning or I may not. I will sit with them though. I don't have any trouble with people eating in my presence so long as I have made up my mind (as I have).

And the payoff: It's the fourth day of my flue, and it is feeling *much* better. It's amazing how effective fasting is for colds and flu. I just lacked the willpower to do it during the holidays.
    Last edited by richard; 01-02-2013 at 03:29 PM.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    My daughter left an opened tin of smoked oysters on the counter, and boy, did I want some. The smell was just amazing. Wrapped them in plastic and had some water instead. I know I will be having sashimi soon after I break my fast: I'll make sure to treat myself to a few oysters!

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post

Brookesam, does your diabetes make fasting a particular challenge? I know nothing of how it impacts, or is impacted by, Type 1.
    It can... I have to monitor my blood sugars closer to make sure I'm not going high or low. Today my blood sugars were a little high until around 3:00. Then I stopped my insulin on my pump for 2 hours so it wouldn't go low. I had coffee, tea and also some gelatin and bcaas today. I probably gave as much insulin as if i had been eating. In the past when I was eating VLC I needed as much insulin as if I were eating carbs. I don't really understand the science behind it all.

The hunger was definitely there but it was bareable. It may sound a little silly but I don't know if I've ever gone almost 24 hours with out food before.

I've decided to do a 20/4 fast for through Friday. I'm curious to see how my blood sugars run tomorrow without food.

It was kinda nice to fast today for the simple fact of not having to worry about food. I usually overthink my food/nutrition choices. Thanks for posting this thread Sabine!

ez2cy is offline Senior Member
    froggie;

Why the ginger in the tub?

froggie is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ez2cy View Post
    froggie;

Why the ginger in the tub?
    I read that the ginger makes the bath feel a little hotter on your skin. I did not feel the tingling others have written about in their blogs, etc but it was a nice combo of smell and sensations, I might try to up the ginger a bit next time.

Broke my fast at 7pm tonight but could have slept on it. I was just prepared to eat and I did. I'd say hunger wasn't the prominent feeling... I felt irritated and tired, my hubby might have said bitchy even. I dunno, maybe the mental effect of no-food is more limiting than my stomach. Anyone experience things like that!?

First time i went this long without food, 43 hours. Wow. But i am sleepy now, so night-night everybody

Adopted the Primal lifestyle on: August 9 2012.
    My sporadic journal entries are here.

Results to date: I've lost (gained?) one belt hole!

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast