Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Planning a New Year's Fast - Anyone Interested? page 5

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    It IS hard coming off a bout of SAD eating. (Not to mention family issues. And, as I recall, even your room mate gives you grief. hang in there.) It is incredible how invested in other people's eating habits so many humans seem to be. And it really seems impossible to change their minds- they have to come to the realization on their own, even if it is just to butt the hell out. It has made me very conscious of not pushing primal for others. I don't want to be the same kind of jerk in reverse (even though I, of course, am RIGHT! )

I hope this fast is more of a pleasant experience.

I've had a good start to my fast. A little bit of indulgence last night, but nothing that should make it painful to fast. Started off with my various waters and tea this morning, did a cold bath, and some dry skin brushing, and just got back from a short walk with the dogs. I feel invigorated. I am planning on only doing slow walking as my physical exertion during the fast. (Not that I am much of an exerciser in any case.)
    Last edited by Sabine; 01-01-2013 at 08:28 AM. Reason: spelling

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    I think walking and doing light cardio are fine on a fast. Weightlifting should be saved until the end of the fast to break with a meal sometime afterwards.

Yeah, my first fast was more of a cleansing fast for me than anything else... Due to how crappy I ate this holiday season. I didn't actually gain any weight from it at all, but I felt like shit. And sorry if this is TMI, but my digestive system hated me the whole time. Ugh.

L.Renee is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    Hellos to Ripped, L.Renee, and Reallygravity. I think that makes 11.

I am astounded by a 60 day fast. That is definitely in the realm of 'don't try this at home' for me, but I am heartened to hear that you had such a good experience. Did you have any weight rebounding? And is your goal for this fast weight loss or something different?

I made it to midnight (fairly amazing, as I usually hit the hay around 9:00) so my fast has begun! I think I'l have some tea, and go to bed. Looking forward to making this journey with all of you.

Sabine -

The fast last year was wonderful - I learned that it was really about mind over matter. I had never realized how much our thoughts influence our actions, even though I should have. I was around an enormous amount of food during the entire fast and I wasn't even phased by it. I had a new-found spirit and determination that made my comittment to the fast SO much easier.

But AFTER the fast ended....I went back to my old eating habits, so yes...MAJOR rebounding, weight gain, swollen ankles and legs...the whole nine! Even after I said I wouldn't go back to eating crappy! I just couldn't see myself having done that long of a fast and totally detoxing my system just to return to old habits - but that's exactly what I did. So this new fast is an 'intro' to the diet and lifestyle that I am switching over to. And my main reasons for fasting are to detox my body and lose weight. I don't have a set timeframe for this fast, I plan on just taking it one day at a time and guaging how I feel.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Hi all~ just checking in~ good day to start a fast

froggie is offline Member
    I am IN! In the car right now, back from our new years getaway in the Outer Banks, and officially entering our 5th hour of doing nothing really. Gives much time to think about FOOD! Though despite a half hard boiled eggs (leftover from my toddler's lunch) i am doing Ok. Got my water bottle with lemon juice and a pinch of salt. I don't plan to keep on eating calories, just tea, water etc and we'll see where i end up. I have fasted about 24hrs twice before, both times during transatlantic flights, so pretty easy to sleep thru since the food at hand is far from enticing!!
    I have been doing about 16/8 for two weeks and i am interested in incorporating longer fasts to kickstart fat loss and help with body reco. I am 5'5 for 124 lbs but mostly skinny fat
    Happy new year and looking fwd to reading all of the personal experiments!
    Last edited by froggie; 01-01-2013 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Typo

Adopted the Primal lifestyle on: August 9 2012.
    My sporadic journal entries are here.

Results to date: I've lost (gained?) one belt hole!

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    After the holidays I'm in need of a fast! I want to cleanse my body from the sugar and gluten free goodies and get back to reality with my eating I used the holidays to my advantage on gaining muscle but I'm sure a little fat attached itself to my body too! haha

I haven't ever gone totally without food for a fast but I've done liquids for up to 3 days... usually a bit a fruit and protein powder (this was years ago pre-paleo). FYI, I also have type 1 diabetes and try and stay active so I have always thought I needed a little leverage... hince a liquid fast and not a non food fast. But as L.Renee said, it's really mind over matter.

So tomorrow my plan is to do some walking with coffee only, maybe some bcaas? I've been lifting heavy and don't want to lose my muscle gains... what do you guys think? I'm going to have a banana on hand in case I have any low blood sugars. I might also have a couple of tbs of great lakes gelatin through out the day. I guess this is along the lines of what emmie was talking about.

Recently I've been doing a 14-15 hour fast on non workout days. I haven't noticed much of a difference with anything but it's nice to not have to feel the need to eat so often

I'd like to go through Friday with the fast and resume lifting heavy either Friday evening or Saturday.

GForce is offline Junior Member
    I am inspired and looking forward to having support on a New Year water fast. I am new to the group, this is my first post.
    I have water fasted from 12 - 36 hours, never more than that. Timing is perfect after the dreaded holiday weight gain, alcohol consumption and other SAD related debouchery. Looking forward to fasting in order to remember what toxins I've allowed my body to feel normal and focus on the things in life other than the food. The food for me is often used to fill boredom, love, anger, any uncomfortable feelings I want to stuff away by stuffing unneeded food down my gullet.
    We don't need so much of the food we eat on the SAD and a fast can remind us that the body can easily survive for many days without. The new year symbolizes hope and new beginnings so I am ready to commit to my first 7 day water fast with your support! Now, how to tell my husband and 7 & 8 year old. They will surely think I'm crazy...
    Does anyone have advice on that?
    I'm an athlete with a full training schedule. Tomorrow morning (day 1 of my fast) will be my hardest workout, so I think I'll be fine and then I'll ask my coach to adjust to a light schedule. I have a 10 mile run planned for Sunday, I'll adjust that or re-evaluate to see how the fast is going.
    Cheers, all! (Clink goes the glass of water - I drink distilled).

dizzyorange is offline Senior Member
    Finished my fast today at a total of 80-something hours. I had bacon, eggs, potatoes, spinach, strawberries, and yogurt for dinner and it was super yummy. Final check in before eating was at 168lbs, only 18lbs from my goal weight. My next "fast" will be at the end of the month, when I'll do 4-5 days of potatoes to see what all the PPD fuss is about.

GForce is offline Junior Member

Old fasting posts

[QUOTE=Sabine;1043393] I'm thinking of going back to re-read the old thread, for inspiration. Clayjay, since you have never fasted before, you might want to read some of the posts and threads about it. Mark did a 5- or 6-part series of blog posts last summer, which were very informative. And several people have done fasting threads, so you can see what some of the common reactions are, both mental and physical.

Anyone have a link to the old threads, or direction on how to get to them?

ez2cy is offline Senior Member
    Well, as stated, this morning I start the fast.

Just going to drink plain water, coffee, Yerba Mate and my supplements (meal in it's self)

Light exercise I think. Live in Canada, cold and snow. Think walking out in the cold with nothing but summer shorts and hat and gloves will induce more weight loss. ( Cold water Therapy I think they call it). Was doing an hour before the holidays but warmer then. -6 C today (21.2 F)

Will also do the 10 minute cold showers once a day.

By my signature you probably can tell I screwed up this Xmas. Funny part is, I didn't even enjoy it. Wife is a great baker. Tasted fantastic in the mouth...but actually hurt in the stomach.

So...here's to fast. Going as long as I can.
    55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
    Chest; 41.5
    Waist; 42
    Hips; 40
    Thigh; 22.5
    Calf; 15
    Bicep: 13
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 17

07/20/2013