Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Planning a New Year's Fast - Anyone Interested? page 3

fresa is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    After how I ate (by force of necessity) the last few days, I doubt I'll last very long... Maybe two days tops. Three days if lucky. But I'm in.
    I'm in the exact same boat. But I'm in need of a good press and hold on the restart button, so I'm in too! I'll see if I can hang on

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    I'm sorry it didn't work out as you hoped, Oxide. A fasting buddy would be great. That's why I find these threads so helpful.
    Fresa, hi. I've got two days of normal eating under my belt since Christmas, but I am still looking forward to the fast as a general 'clean-up'.

dizzyorange is offline Senior Member
    Change of plans, starting my fast right now. Just found out I got assigned to make a presentation with this girl I sorta like on Jan 2nd. We'll be meeting to prepare on the evening of Jan 1st. If I feel good about myself I'll smile. And if I smile she'll smile back, which is all I really need right now. Baby steps you know what I'm saying.

So starting in ~40 minutes (time to wolf down last box of ice cream of 2012 and EVER) it'll be a 60ish hour fast until Monday evening celebrations. Then an extra long walk Tuesday AM before we meet up at night. Here we go.

So, how is it going, Dizzyorange?

I am preparing for my fast by eating all the leftovers out of the fridge(as meals, not just a crazed free-for-all!). I want to have only the food for my family in there, and no tempting single servings of beef stir-fry, or broccoli-cheese soup staring at me.

I've also planned the meals I am going to make for them, things with minimal cooking so I won't be near food too much. A couple more things to do: buy some salt and lemons for my electrolyte water. I'm treating myself to some special salt, and fresh lemons. And I need to check my tea stock. I don't drink a lot of tea, but I want to have the kind I WANT on hand. Oh, and some powdered ginger and epsom salts for the detox baths.

Anyone else doing anything special to get ready?

Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    So, how is it going, Dizzyorange?

I am preparing for my fast by eating all the leftovers out of the fridge(as meals, not just a crazed free-for-all!). I want to have only the food for my family in there, and no tempting single servings of beef stir-fry, or broccoli-cheese soup staring at me.

I've also planned the meals I am going to make for them, things with minimal cooking so I won't be near food too much. A couple more things to do: buy some salt and lemons for my electrolyte water. I'm treating myself to some special salt, and fresh lemons. And I need to check my tea stock. I don't drink a lot of tea, but I want to have the kind I WANT on hand. Oh, and some powdered ginger and epsom salts for the detox baths.

Anyone else doing anything special to get ready?
    40 hours in and going strong. I feel the leanness in my cheekbones and am loving it. Currently at 172 lbs. By this time next year, I want to be at 150. I decided it was okay to have a spoon of coconut oil with my coffee this morning. Like last time, hunger peaked about 24 hours and has subsided. I also cleaned my fridge of tempting foods, but in my case, a crazed free-for-all did indeed occur. Btw, by special salt do you mean sea salt?
    Last edited by dizzyorange; 12-30-2012 at 06:53 PM.

I like to use a mix of regular iodized(yes, really) table salt, sea salt, and pink Hamalayan salt. Due to recent severe budget constraints, when I ran out of the sea salt, I didn't replace it, and I am also almost out of the Himalayan salt, too. Time for a splurge!

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    Anyone want to join in?
    I'm pondering on trying. I've done a 4 day fast before.

Afterwords, I felt great!!! I had much more energy. It was a good feeling.

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    buy some salt and lemons for my electrolyte water. I'm treating myself to some special salt, and fresh lemons. And I need to check my tea stock. I don't drink a lot of tea, but I want to have the kind I WANT on hand. Oh, and some powdered ginger and epsom salts for the detox baths.
    Why do you include all this stuff? What is the purpose? And is it even necessary?

The electrolyte water (8C water, juice of one lemon, 1t salt, 1/2pkt stevia) is so my electrolytes stay balanced. I got the recipe from the paleogirl blog. She came up with it after researching what would keep her balanced, made from natural ingredients, rather than using a sports drink. I usually alternate a cup of it, with a cup of regular water. I don't know if it is necessary, but I DO feel better when I am drinking it.

Tea- well, I like to have a cup or two of tea each day, and during a fast it gives me a 'flavor' treat to look forward to. I don't view a fast as a 'deprivation' experience, but rather as a 'different' experience. So any brain-appetite stimulation the flavors of the tea might cause, I am good with.

The ginger and epsom salts are for a detox bath. That's just an enjoyable activity for me to do during a fast (or any time). Very relaxing. And since I am doing the fast for autophagy, it makes sense to me to do any extra detox things I can think of.

Perfectly valid to fast with just tap water, and no 'treats', it's just not my style.

Although, I do recommend the elctrolyte water to people. I have a neighbor who a few years ago over-hydrated herself to the point of throwing her electrolytes out of whack, and ended up in the hospital. It put enough of a scare into me that I feel electrolytes are important. And the stuff is easy to make and drink, so why not. I know some people find lemon juice unhelpful for ketosis, but I've never been that sensitive.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hit the 60 hour mark! Feeling great so going to do another 24 hours. Weighed in at 170 just now... I've lost 12 pounds since the beginning of the month. I'm sure some of it is water but some of it is definitely fat too.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast