Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Planning a New Year's Fast - Anyone Interested? page 2

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hi Gopintos. I'm glad you will be cheering us on. Maybe we should get you and Paleobird matching pom-poms!

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    After how I ate (by force of necessity) the last few days, I doubt I'll last very long... Maybe two days tops. Three days if lucky. But I'm in.

rockrunner Guest
    I'll be watching and at least cheering ....I'm male, no weight to lose, been Intermittent Fasting for about 25 years, done primal for the last two years to keep bad skin conditions under control and thought about longer fasting just for the heck of it...be interested to see what happens. No guarantee but I'll try to fast along with you all and still run/exercise and keep everything as normal as usual...will see how that lasts.

Hi, Drumroll and Rockrunner. And now we are six.

Nady had good results with fasting helping to clear her skin, if I remember correctly. Drumroll, any particular reason you are fasting? (Weight loss, autophagy, symptom relief, yada, yada?)

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    Hi, Drumroll and Rockrunner. And now we are six.

Nady had good results with fasting helping to clear her skin, if I remember correctly. Drumroll, any particular reason you are fasting? (Weight loss, autophagy, symptom relief, yada, yada?)
    I guess just to mitigate some of the effects of being stuck with a CW-worshiping family over the holidays that made even eating pseudo-primal quite impossible.

I doubt I'll make it very long because I basically have to readjust to the lifestyle all over again. Heh.

dizzyorange is offline Senior Member
    Count me in I am doing a 60ish hour water fast to atone for New Years celebrations. I'll be starting sometime in the AM on Jan 1st and ending with supper on the 3rd. Goal is mainly weight loss. I did a 4 day water fast at the beginning of the month that resulted in dropping 7 lbs. Been holding steady since then. Currently at 174, down from starting weight of 182 (5'9 M).

I'll be doing body weight exercises and some walking during the fast, but plan on burning a decent amount of brain calories catching up on some work. My weakness is ice cream it's the rate-limiting step right now towards further weight loss. After I lost the initial weight from the fast I hit a plateau because I couldn't give up my sugar fix despite otherwise eating primally. This New Year's resolution will be to kick sugar for good, and I think fasting will be good mental preparation for that.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I like this idea (autophagy) as a counter-cultural way to 'celebrate' the New Year, so I plan a 'fast' of 3 days (29, 30, 31 Dec.) to break on 1 Jan. I would like to begin 2013 feeling lighter and healthier (a couple of pounds less would be nice after some 'indulgences' of the past week).

Like Oxide, I already know I do best at 250-300 cal spread over the day, and that's my plan--mainly protein (tuna, egg whites), and lots of fluids.

Hello Dizzyorange and Emmie.

Emmie, I like your idea of doing the fast at the end of the year, to start the next year with some of the extras in your body already cleared out. I'm already set for what I want to do, though, so I'll file that away for next year. You can be our leader, scouting out the terrain we'll be following on!

Dizzyorange, I remember reading about your last fast. The amount of walking you did was incredible. I'm sure you'll have no difficulties starting off the New Year exactly as you want. Good luck on breaking that sugar desire. It is a tough one.

Oxide, are you still fasting? How is it going? We'd love to hear your experience, especially, I'm sure, those of us who have not fasted before.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    I made it about 40 hours and then gave up. I think I could have gone longer physically, but I tired out mentally.
    Unfortunately I broke the fast with a lot of gusto (chicken!), so I don't think I got any benefit out of it.

If you can find a fasting buddy, that really helps. That's how I got through my 9-day fast years ago.
    Next time, I may try it on a weekend and pack the weekend full of non-strenuous events so I don't think about fasting.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast