Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reaction to Coconut milk? page

andreaincolombia is offline Junior Member

Reaction to Coconut milk?

Hi all. I'm hoping to pick your brains about a possible food reaction to coconut milk.

I made a coconut milk eggnog last night by the lady behind this blog: My Primal Adventures and it was tasty. However, I suffered in some pretty serious stomach pain and nausea for the rest of the evening and still feel 'off' today. After drinking it I remembered that when I made coconut milk hot chocolate a few months ago, I had a similar reaction (you'd think I'd remember that kind of thing eh?). What would you do? Eliminate coconut products altogether? Continue on with coconut oil and other coconut products (no noticeable reaction)?

Thanks in advance,
    Andrea

KathyH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by andreaincolombia View Post
    Hi all. I'm hoping to pick your brains about a possible food reaction to coconut milk.

I made a coconut milk eggnog last night by the lady behind this blog: My Primal Adventures and it was tasty. However, I suffered in some pretty serious stomach pain and nausea for the rest of the evening and still feel 'off' today. After drinking it I remembered that when I made coconut milk hot chocolate a few months ago, I had a similar reaction (you'd think I'd remember that kind of thing eh?). What would you do? Eliminate coconut products altogether? Continue on with coconut oil and other coconut products (no noticeable reaction)?

Thanks in advance,
    Andrea
    Make your own coconut milk, don't buy it in a can or tetra pack, see if that works for you. It's easy to make (don't be lazy), it tastes 100 times better on top of it. Grok wasn't carrying a can opener.

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    That's just how coconut milk affects people. It's the monounsaturated fat, I believe. If you aren't used to it, or used to using it in such high amounts, just back off from it a bit. I'm sure you'll be fine. Most people can adjust to higher amounts over time. I used to have stomach pain, nausea, and "evacuation" from coconut oil, but don't anymore. Coconut milk still makes me feel sick if I don't water it down/have too much.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

KathyH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    That's just how coconut milk affects people. It's the monounsaturated fat, I believe. If you aren't used to it, or used to using it in such high amounts, just back off from it a bit. I'm sure you'll be fine. Most people can adjust to higher amounts over time. I used to have stomach pain, nausea, and "evacuation" from coconut oil, but don't anymore. Coconut milk still makes me feel sick if I don't water it down/have too much.
    Maybe coconut milk has antinutrients and antinutrients nazis haven't discovered them yet. Our guru and his disciples can't know everything, can they?

Enilegna/hearts is offline Senior Member
    Yeah maybe consumed in high quantities can have more of a negative effect on you. Also can be because of added ingredients that keep the milk from separating from the water, I think, like Zanthan Gum or Guar gum. I used to have terrible headaches when I drank it with coffee so I stopped. Last time I had eliminated it for a while, bought a can and drank a little straight up- one of the worst stomach pains I've had in a while. But if I drink it mixed with other things, the effects aren't that strong. hmmpphh...

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    -It's the medium chain triglycerides that are the issue (not that it's monounsatured).
    -Could be fructose malabsorption (have issues with lactose or fruit?).
    -Could just be more fat than you are used to consuming.

Sorry, was being lazy before. There are a lot of variables at play. Just try less in the future, or don't use it.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

cfrizzle88 is offline Junior Member
    It's probably the carrageenan.

cfrizzle88 is offline Junior Member
    Grok wasn't carrying a can opener.[/QUOTE]

He also wasn't typing on a keyboard.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cfrizzle88 View Post
    It's probably the carrageenan.
    This and it probably has guar gum as well.

Ghshl is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'd just use it more sparinly. I usually use one can for one pot of curry, that'll last me a couple of days. Never had problems with that.

Made coconutmilk hot chocolate the other day, I didn't get sick but it made me feel sort of unwell, so won't eat it like that again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast