Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reaction to Coconut milk? page 2

Paleobird Guest
    Find a brand that doesn't have all the gums, stabilizers, etc. involved. One that has one ingredient, Coconuts. I like Aroy-D.
    Also, like NW said, too much of a good thing is still too much especially if you are not used to it.

fresa is offline Member
    I have the same issue, so I just tend not to eat it. I'll throw some in a curry, but that's about it. I did make some coconut milk hot chocolate once, and it made me quite ill. Ever since I really don't use it much. I feel like coconut milk doesn't have anything that I can't get somewhere else, so it isn't worth it to me personally. But if other coconut products don't bother you, I see no reason to cut it out. I still use the oil on occasion and eat coconut manna with no problems.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyH View Post
    Make your own coconut milk, don't buy it in a can or tetra pack, see if that works for you. It's easy to make (don't be lazy), it tastes 100 times better on top of it. Grok wasn't carrying a can opener.
    Really?! Some of us have a lot of other stuff going on and don't have time to make our own coconut milk--it's not laziness to choose to use premade coconut milk so that you can spend time with your family or volunteer in your community or take time to go for a walk. Buying canned stuff that contains only water and coconut milk is fine.

If you want to be a purist about what "Grok would do" then I suggest that an internet message board is maybe not in keeping with your caveman recreationist lifestyle.

Anyhow, OP, if other forms of coconut don't cause you an issue, it might just have been consuming a larger quantity of coconut all at once. Or as others have said, it might be an additive in the brand of coconut milk you're using.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

KathyH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Really?! Some of us have a lot of other stuff going on and don't have time to make our own coconut milk--it's not laziness to choose to use premade coconut milk so that you can spend time with your family or volunteer in your community or take time to go for a walk. Buying canned stuff that contains only water and coconut milk is fine.

If you want to be a purist about what "Grok would do" then I suggest that an internet message board is maybe not in keeping with your caveman recreationist lifestyle.

Anyhow, OP, if other forms of coconut don't cause you an issue, it might just have been consuming a larger quantity of coconut all at once. Or as others have said, it might be an additive in the brand of coconut milk you're using.
    5min. Thats all it takes.
    You should stop cooking so you can spend more time volunteering and on a way back you can just hit a drive through.
    Did you know that you could make coconut milk, volunteer and also spend time with your family? How about volunteering to teach your family how to make coconut milk in 5min. If not you can just stick to processed foods.

Quote Originally Posted by KathyH View Post
    5min. Thats all it takes.
    You should stop cooking so you can spend more time volunteering and on a way back you can just hit a drive through.
    Did you know that you could make coconut milk, volunteer and also spend time with your family? How about volunteering to teach your family how to make coconut milk in 5min. If not you can just stick to processed foods.
    You're welcome to completely sacrifice your entire life on the altar of primal. I will continue to eat healthy meals that I cook for myself with the aid of such horrible, horrible things as tinned coconut milk and canned tomatoes. Because I'm very sure that those foods are totally making everyone fat.

It's not a binary choice between everything from scratch and the drive through.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

KathyH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    You're welcome to completely sacrifice your entire life on the altar of primal. I will continue to eat healthy meals that I cook for myself with the aid of such horrible, horrible things as tinned coconut milk and canned tomatoes. Because I'm very sure that those foods are totally making everyone fat.

It's not a binary choice between everything from scratch and the drive through.
    I never said it was going to make you fat.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I agree with Owly on that one except that I try to avoid cans. But chopped tomatoes (and frozen veggies) are a livesaver for small families too. I'd have to go shopping every other day to keep purely fresh produce in my home. I opt for fewer trips to the store and eating some things from tetrapacks and jars and the freezer. As long as they're organic and don't contain additives, the only dif might be a bit of nutrients. And that not might even be an issue when you consider how far fresh produce travels to get to store (in the US, an average of 1500 miles), losing nutrients with each passing mile.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Oh, no, you just called people who don't make their own coconut milk "lazy". Sorry, I'm not lazy. I simply have better things to do with my time than to make coconut milk from scratch when a good quality, additive free coconut milk is perfectly healthy and not a dangerous "processed food" any more than if I bought dried coconut and spent the 20 minutes preparing it myself.

This sort of primal purity thing is what makes people think this is an unmanageable lifestyle.

Owly's Journal

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Do coconuts have udders?
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I only buy the best free-range, grassfed coconut steaks.

Owly's Journal

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast