Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 127

Thread: Lyle McDonald's "Getting Rid of Stubborn Body Fat" protocol... page 5

  1. #41
    Mini_mi's Avatar
    Mini_mi is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    S.E. Michigan
    Posts
    58
    Shop Now
    Hi,
    Lived in the Philippines for several years and gotta say most people not living in a big city like Manila were lean but definately not ripped. The lean states were due more to lack of nutrition than anything else.
    As far as maintaining 3% body fat, not really realistic. Even the Body builders I knew would maintain around 6-8% and cut down
    as much as possible for contests. As soon as the contest was over they quickly raised they're body fat. 3% is the absolute minimum the human body requires before it will start to shut down. I personally find 8-10 relatively sustainable regardless of exercise level, but wholly dependent on being focused on diet. Muscle mass will be determined by my exercise type and level.

  2. #42
    Ripped's Avatar
    Ripped is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    509
    Quote Originally Posted by Mini_mi View Post
    Hi,
    Lived in the Philippines for several years and gotta say most people not living in a big city like Manila were lean but definately not ripped. The lean states were due more to lack of nutrition than anything else.
    As far as maintaining 3% body fat, not really realistic. Even the Body builders I knew would maintain around 6-8% and cut down
    as much as possible for contests. As soon as the contest was over they quickly raised they're body fat. 3% is the absolute minimum the human body requires before it will start to shut down. I personally find 8-10 relatively sustainable regardless of exercise level, but wholly dependent on being focused on diet. Muscle mass will be determined by my exercise type and level.
    Thanks. I think that's a much more realistic view of what I was talking about. It's not like I go around with calipers testing everyone I see on the street, haha.

    And most of the methods for prediction vary widely. Like I said, DEXA scans seem to predict double the other methods, so I really am convinced that going by body fat percentage can be useless, going by feel and the mirror might be a better way.

    The only real thing I can say is that I do see a lot of very lean people around. And the bodybuilders don't seem to have too much trouble leaning out either. If you maintain 6-8% yearly, which you should already have a six pack and is also phenomenal compared to american standards, it isn't going to be that hard to cut down further than that because you don't have much to go.

    I guess my main point of my initial statement is, it's not as hard to be lean as people in the USA typically think. Sure, it is hard when you're eating cookies and cup cakes all the time, but not when you're eating simple foods. And while I don't see people dying in the streets, yes they can afford to eat enough to live, but just not enough to make them fat.

  3. #43
    Ripped's Avatar
    Ripped is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    509
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    I think that being around 8 - 12 % of bodyfat is very healthy for older guys, and at the level you have more than enough bodyfat to use in a emergency. For me it is not about seing abs, but because I feel more energetic and my libido is even better at that level, than at a higher bodyfat...
    I think that seems about right. I'm sure you could go lower and still be healthy. But I guess in case of emergency you wouldn't want to go too low, such as less than 6%, which is quite rare anyways.

  4. #44
    fkjr2's Avatar
    fkjr2 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    214
    This is an old thread however would this protocol work?

    Treadmill straight away to incline highest at 15% for 10 mins - then incline down to 7 @ 3.5 mph for 30 mins?

    Thanks!

  5. #45
    miata's Avatar
    miata is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    1,319
    Quote Originally Posted by fkjr2 View Post
    This is an old thread however would this protocol work?

    Treadmill straight away to incline highest at 15% for 10 mins - then incline down to 7 @ 3.5 mph for 30 mins?

    Thanks!
    What are you trying to achieve?

  6. #46
    fkjr2's Avatar
    fkjr2 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    214
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    What are you trying to achieve?
    That last stubborn lower ab fat

    I have a 4 pack (around 10-11%) body fat

    Trying to burn fat most efficiently


    Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

  7. #47
    zuzanac's Avatar
    zuzanac is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    95
    Does this work for girls too?


    Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

  8. #48
    bcbcbc2's Avatar
    bcbcbc2 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by fkjr2 View Post
    This is an old thread however would this protocol work?

    Treadmill straight away to incline highest at 15% for 10 mins - then incline down to 7 @ 3.5 mph for 30 mins?

    Thanks!
    No. the first stage needs to be higher effort for shorter periods.
    It may help but it won't be equivalent to Lyle's protocol.
    Last edited by bcbcbc2; 04-02-2015 at 11:22 AM.

  9. #49
    bcbcbc2's Avatar
    bcbcbc2 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by zuzanac View Post
    Does this work for girls too?


    Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum
    Yes. I think Lyle developed it working with female bodybuilder types.
    Mind, it's for fit people fighting the last stubborn fat.
    For fat people its pointless.

  10. #50
    zuzanac's Avatar
    zuzanac is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    95
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Right.
    I have 5 pounds of fat to lose.
    It's impossible with hashi...
    I have been trying for months.. Sad

    Thanks


    Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •